PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The recovery of Spiritual power.   T. Austin Sparks

Started Nov-10 by PAULFROMNYS; 41 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-10

. For many of us it is a long-drawn-out thing, represented in simple tests on the part of Gideon. Take the three as you see them.

First, his sacrifice. His altar built and his sacrifice laid thereon, and the Angel of the Lord touched it and it was consumed and went up in fire. Here you have Gideon presenting himself to the Lord and having the witness in himself that the Lord had received him. That present represented the gift or presentation of himself to the Lord. "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God" (Rom. 12:1). The whole consumed unto the Lord and the witness of the Lord that you are the Lord's and that you are accepted of the Lord. When Gideon brought his sacrifice his test was, will the Lord accept, and if the Lord will indicate that He accepts, that will be the first step in the construction of his faith. That principle holds good, in this way: that before ever you step out in your ministry in the power of God, you have got to have the assurance in your heart that the Lord is well pleased to receive you.

The Lord Jesus came through at Jordan and presented Himself, in type, at Jordan to the Father in a whole burnt offering: in death, burial and resurrection. The Gospel of Mark says, "Thou art My Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased". Luke and Matthew say, "This is my beloved Son". The change is significant because in Mark it is the Servant of the Lord; before the Servant could step out into Divine service of power He has got to have the attestation Himself that He is accepted of God and then, coming out of that service, because the Lord is well pleased, He will draw the attention of others to that One. That is what you have got with Gideon. First of all they were going to slay him for what he had done. He presented his offering to the Lord and got the witness that the Lord was well pleased, and after that the very people that were going to slay him, rally to him. It is as if the Lord drew attention to this man and they had to accept him because God had accepted him.      5mm