PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Servant of the Lord #3   T. Austin Sparks

Started Jan-18 by PAULFROMNYS; 172 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

and he must ever be proud to say of Him, "whose I am, and whom I serve."

A vital relationship with Christ born of a deep personal appreciation of what He has done for, and daily is to our souls, and a clear understanding with a profound conviction of what He wishes to do through our instrumentality; these covered by a complete and utter abandonment to Him, are the only legitimate grounds for His service. Of such servants the world and the "Church" stands in tragic and pathetic need, and by such all problems of ineffectiveness and failure are solved. Such never take up the work lightly, and therefore never give it up easily - if at all. I am more and more convinced that the problems of the untouched masses, the leakage of young people, will be solved most lastingly and fruitfully; not by social organisations or increased machinery, but by the type of workers for Christ who have this work committed to them. Every Christian must conceive of himself or herself as being definitely called by God into the "Fellowship of His Son" and as "Workers together with Him," and that this calling is a solemn and irrevocable ordination to "the work of the ministry." (Read carefully Ephesians 4:12 R.V.)

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

To be Christ's own purchased possession; and to be Christ's own controlled, directed, and equipped servant, is to have the strength of a great assurance that nothing can separate you from Him; that you work under supreme authority; that all the resources of Christ are at your disposal; and that while doing His work there can be no ultimate failure, unless He is to ultimately fail, which is impossible. This is a service which is eternal and supreme, and is only the probation for "higher service," where and when "His servants shall serve Him, and they shall see His face."

Christ! I am Christ's! and let the name suffice me,
Ay, for me, too, He greatly hath sufficed;
Lo, with no winning words I would entice you,
Paul has no honour and no friend but Christ.

Yes, through life, death, through sorrow and through sinning,
He shall suffice me, for He hath sufficed;
Christ is the end, for Christ was the beginning,
Christ the beginning, for the end is Christ.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

Chapter 2 - The Servant Spirit and the Servant Mind

So far we have spoken of the specific relationship to Christ suggested by the term "Bond-servant." We shall proceed to think of the deeper nature of this relationship and of the vital principle back of it. We are familiar with the designation of the Lord Jesus Himself as "The Servant of Jehovah," and we know that in type and declaration that conception of Him occupies considerable place in the Scriptures. The Ox throughout represents Him in the twofold aspect of service and sacrifice - one thing, never separated. Of Himself He said one all inclusive thing, "The Son of Man came, not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom." In sharing - not the redeeming activity of Christ, but - the outworking purpose of that specific activity, one thing is said of the servant of the Lord, "To you it has been given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but to suffer for His sake."

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

It is so important, beloved, that we should be clear on this matter of service, and it will save us so much sorrow and heartbreak if we have this right as early as possible. We do not want to spend time in pointing out the tremendous mistakenness which prevails far and wide in this respect. "Christian service" has come to be a realm in which all the acquisitive, ambitious, obtrusive, assertive, self-seeking, and numerous other elements of the natural man have been vented and taken hold. It has created a system in which human distinctions are the order of the day. Yes, and much more which it is too painful to mention. We need an adjustment of our minds by a true spiritual perception of the real nature of service, and it will be well for us ever to remember that all work for Christ is not service to Christ. A child may be very well meaning and industrious in its "helping mother" (?), but poor mother may find rather more work created than done.

Now let us say right away with emphasis that the indispensable and basic thing to real service is

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

The Servant Spirit and the Servant Mind

In Philippians 2 the Holy Spirit says through Paul "Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus, Who... took the form of a bondservant." Now this passage is a sequel to John 13:7: "What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know afterward." There is a very vital principle involved here. Let us study the thing carefully.

There are three sides to it or phases of it; the Divine, the human, and the Satanic. Take the human first. The Master and His disciples had come in after a tiring day: dusty, hot, and weary. They had no paid servants, so that they would either sit down to supper as they were, or wash one another's feet. But this was a servant's job and these men were wont to discuss who should be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. It was not likely that such a mind would submit to the slave's duties. They were probably each standing upon dignity, prestige, and pride. Possibly Peter was not the least offender, for when the Master girded Himself with a towel and poured out water it says "He cometh to Simon." Here commenced a terrible unveiling of Simon's mind. The first disclosure is made when Simon says "Thou shalt never wash my feet!" Here is self-will asserting itself against the will of the Lord. It is self-will rising up upon a basic pride, an exposed and shamed pride. The Master's answer is "If I wash thee not thou has no part with me." At the suggestion of parting with Christ Simon leaps forward - "Not my feet only but my hands and my head." In effect - "I am after all I can get." Here is self-interest, self-enrichment, self-realisation. The principle back of the Master's act is entirely missed because self fills the horizon.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-18

Before the chapter is concluded Simon is strongly declaring that he will lay down his life for the Master, a declaration which had a sorry issue in the hour of its testing. And in this connection self-confidence and self-sufficiency are unveiled. All this led to Satan's triumph and Simon's defeat. It has ever been so. The breakdown and ruin of man has always been because of his self-life, from Adam onward.

Simon was obtained by Satan for sifting because Satan had a stake in him which gave him a judicial claim and right over Simon. Christ served the Father to the full because Satan had "nothing in Him." We must come back here, but let us turn to the Satanic side. Isaiah tells us (chap, 14) that Satan was hurled from the glory and fell into so great depths of ruin because he said in his heart, "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God... I will be like the Most High." He aspired to equality with God. Ambition for power where the power was God's alone; mastery where service was the order; these were the motives operating. This brought his ruin, and then by prompting Adam to act by the same motive the ruin of the race was accomplished.