The Commport

Hosted by [PC][Ch]amsalot (CHAMSALOT)|forums.delphiforums.com/maxcommport/start

Free support to first-time computer users as well as the experts!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Firefox browser severe slowdown; CPU Usage 100%   Free Clinic

Started Nov-22 by sbutk1; 199 views.
In reply toRe: msg 8
xSomeguyx

Dec-2

Hmm.. well, at least there's something to point at.  Generally speaking, how many tabs do you have open?  Also, give Google Chrome a try on the same sites.  This would give us an idea whether your PC just can't handle the content for some reason, or if it's the browser.

sbutk1

Dec-2

Right now I've got 16 open, but none of them are any of the "dreaded 3" that I mentioned above.

And the computer is still functioning fairly smoothly, I would say, with no noticeable lags or slowdowns.

Yet even now, a quick check of Task Manager reveals:

Firefox memory usage ~ 2.0 GB

Total Memory usage ~ 3.44 GB

Physical Memory ~ 88%

Some time ago - well before the day this latest Firefox Quantam came out - I used to be in the habit of *successfully* keeping a few hundreds of tabs open at the same time.  (Call me the king of "Easily distracted", haha.)  ...Now, granted, this was with the assistance of a browser add-on that automatically unloaded tabs after a period of unuse and probably lulled me into a sense of complacency.  Either way, that add-on looks like it is no longer supported by Quantam.

Might give Chrome a try later; I'll let you know how I make out with that. 

Thanks!

xSomeguyx

Dec-3

Ah, well that's probably what's going on then.  Every program (or in this case page) you open uses memory, and since you don't have that add-on, you're probably running out, so it's slowing things to a crawl.

I compare this sort of thing to a kitchen.  The chef is the processor (or more than one cook in the instance of a multi-core processor), your counter space is memory, and your hard drive is the panty.  The cook can only "work" on as many things as there is counter-space.  Run out of counter-space?  No problem, move stuff to the pantry temporarily.  But that back and forth is wasted time, and it slows the works down.

sbutk1

Dec-3

I'm still going to try again later with an alternate browser.  Probably Microsoft IE, to avoid downloading Chrome just yet.

...In the meantime, considering your analogy example, do you you think it would be fruitful to install more "counter space"?

xSomeguyx

Dec-4

Possibly.  It certainly wouldn't hurt, and RAM for something like that wouldn't be terribly expensive.  However, as much as I like IE (and I do appreciate it), these days it doesn't run as fast as.. well, pretty much anything else.