The Commport

Hosted by [PC][Ch]amsalot (CHAMSALOT)|forums.delphiforums.com/maxcommport/start

Free support to first-time computer users as well as the experts!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NEW TOYS!   Hardware Haven & Buying Advice

Started Nov-27 by THECOM; 201 views.
THECOM
Staff

Nov-27

Okay, been gimping along on two mismatched 24" 1920x1080 monitors and a 22" 1680x1050 monitor for a while.
Finally got sick of it...

Just pulled the plug on this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQSHRK2

A day or so after it arrives, I'm going to be populating it with a trio of these:

http://deals.dell.com/work/productdetail/ppm

Going to have all of them in reading mode.  (6480x3840 as opposed to 11,520x2160).

Cyber Monday had no actual factor in the purchase.
It just happened to be when the money hit my account and I could pull the trigger.

In reply toRe: msg 1
xSomeguyx

Nov-27

Daaaaaaaaaamn, that's a LOT of screen.  I've been riding high on my 32" 4K Acer at home for the past couple years and it's been great.  For the office though, I don't think I'll ever give up my dual 27" 1440P displays.. they're just the right DPI, with just the right amount of space for all the RDP sessions I'm shuffling around.

THECOM
Staff

Nov-28

To be honest, it's probably a bit more screen real-estate than I REALLY need.

But if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it ONCE and do it RIGHT.

If I could find high-res monitors in 4x3 format, I could probably get by with 2 of them.
It's just that the lack of vertical space is an ENORMOUS pain in my cojones.

In reply toRe: msg 3
xSomeguyx

Nov-28

Yeah, I know a lot of guys that look at console code, and the extra height is a game-changer.  Same for legal-sized documents.

But.. do it once and do it right?  That sounds like "1.4mb?  We'll NEVER need more than that!" talk to me!

THECOM
Staff

Nov-28

Yeah, we get clients with apps who have these HUGE screen-filling error dumps.  Some so big that even going 1080x1920 and they still get cut off.

"What's the problem?"
"I dunno."
"How can YOU not know?"
"Because the actual, USEFUL portion of the error message is scrolled right off the bottom of the screen where I can't read it..."

And I'm figuring, that by the time I need something more than 6480x3820 on an effective 46" display, my eyesight will have begun failing and I'll be getting ready to transition to something that doesn't require QUITE that much real-estate.

In reply toRe: msg 5
THECOM
Staff

Nov-30

Okay, the monitor mount arrived today.

The fricking arms are longer than MY arms!

In reply toRe: msg 6
THECOM
Staff

Nov-30

In reply toRe: msg 7
THECOM
Staff

Nov-30

In reply toRe: msg 8
xSomeguyx

Dec-2

Ok, this is comically large.  The narrow bezel does work pretty well though!

THECOM
Staff

Dec-2

Showed it to a guy on [H] and he was immediately going "Yeah, now I just need to work on de-bezeling it..."

And now that I've got NVSurround working, full-screen video on it is almost comical.