Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Midnight Castle, The Hidden Mysteries   Oh the Absurdity!

Started 4/28/18 by Rahia13; 30073 views.
In reply toRe: msg 48
Rahia13

4/28/18

The lights were not lit in the Commercial District but I could make out Jorg. He was pulling on a rope that was connected to a heavy sack.
"Excuse me, are you Jorg?"
"Who wants to know," he asked with a grunt.
"I'm Rahia and I was wondering about Arabella Scales."
"How is she," he asked, stopping what he was doing and turning towards me, "Did she send you? She sent me away after 4 years. She said she didn't want anything to happen to me. She was so afraid so fragile, my Arabella."
"No, she didn't send me," I said and watched the happiness in his face shatter.
"Then go away!"
"Please, I just want to know about her."
"Why?"
"I just want to understand her."
"All I can tell you," he sighed, "is that she is just looking for happiness. She wants a family of her own but in her own time. She wants to be able to practice her art without people calling it foul. She just wants to be. That is why she sent me away. She thinks someone put a curse on her. She thinks it could have been Lyla who was mistress to her first husband but she isn't sure. She won't take any action until she is sure."
"You were happy together?"
"I think so. We had a good life and she could move from the Castle to Cloud City with ease. I was one of the Gnome King's guards back then. After I came back, I was sentenced to pulling this sack for what seems like forever."
"That is a harsh sentence," I said.
"No, it's the punishment for divorce in the Gnome kingdom," he said and started pulling, "It's an ancient law that should be removed but I'm the only Gnome it has happened to in a thousand years. We had all but forgotten it."
"Oh," I said trying not to laugh. This was a divorce punishment? I couldn't stop it and burst out laughing.
"What is so funny," he asked whirling around forcing the rope to snap, "Oh no! Oh no!"
"Does that mean you are free from the punishment?"
"No! Also Arabella doesn't know about this. You can't tell her. She would feel awful!"
"Okay, I won't say a thing. I have a spare rope if that would help."
"Thank you," he said and fixed his pulley.
"No, thank you," I said as I back away. I didn't want to burst out laughing again. It was their custom so who was I to laugh at it?

I decided to head home for the night. There wasn't much else I could do. I had learned that indeed Arabella and Lord Chamberlain were much a like. They were both kind but vengeful when needed. Their bark was much worse than their bite. It all didn't add up though.

Continued..

In reply toRe: msg 49
Rahia13

4/28/18

Someone was trying to hinder my progress with the theft of my maps but who? I had cleared Lord Chamberlain for the most part. It was also looking like Arabella had nothing to do with it. I was still unsure about Just John. I knew it wasn't Jeronimo or Henry. They just didn't seem interested enough in what I did. Could it be the Keeper of the Castle? The Iron Knight? Perhaps Anabel? I knew that I had to find Dal and figured out who had hired her. I also realized that I had forgotten to eat at the Tavern when I walked in the door of my house. Luckily I had some fruit laying around so I wouldn't starve. Well for tonight at least. I turned on the lights and looked around at my ransacked room. The tables and chairs were knocked over. My papers were fluttering to the ground and my Christmas tree was in shambles.

"Who did this," I whispered.
"We didn't see," Elle said, "We got home as someone was leaving but we couldn't see. The chests we brought home were to heavy and we tried to follow after we set them down but we were so tired."
"It's okay, Elle. I'll look at the chests later," I said patting the Snow Fairy on the head. It didn't look as if anything was missing but I wouldn't know until I cleaned the mess up, "Okay, my little ones, it's time to clean. Who ever does the best job gets an extra bag of food. Remember not to break anything and don't touch the sharp objects call for me instead. If you notice anything missing let me know."
"Aye," my little pets said in unison and off they went cleaning my house.

Well, I guess I was making enemies. I figured every thing was all good since none of my pets got hurt. I would make people pay if one little hair on their heads was out of place. Okay, maybe not for the Snow Griffin but for the rest....
Who was after my research? Was it even my research they were after? Did I pick up something special along the way and not realize it? I sighed and pushed the questions aside as I started picking up the pieces of my house.

In reply toRe: msg 50
Rahia13

4/28/18

All That Glitters

There were only a few pet injuries as we cleaned up my house. Sunlight had started to slither in through the windows when my pets decided it would be a good time to bring in all the chests they had collected the night before. I have 39 pets but there were 40 chests.
"Did we get someone new," I asked my pets as I looked at the last chest.
"No," they all chimed.
"Well, to make sure, let's do roll call! Ruddy?"
"Here," a squeaky voice came from my beloved Reindeer.
"Penny?"
"Bells on," my Penguin quipped.
"AB?"
"AB Norman here," the Snowman said with a bang of his broom.
"George?"
"The Yeti is ready!"
"Mr. Cuddlesworth?"
"Cuddle Wuddle," came the reply from the Little White Bear.
"Gryff?"
"Up here," The Snow Griffin said.
"Shame," I said with a cough, "Bailey?"
"Meow, purr, meow," came from the Winged Cat next to Gryff.
"Owlsly? Phos? Pearl? Manny? Blaze? Brownie? Dehlia? Truffles? Gary? Lemmy? Bling? Polly? Matilda? Nutty? Tomoe? Sonik? Whisk? Amethyst? Jack? Hops? Fries? Flutter? Cherish? Savannah? Nightshade? Magick? Poe? Kin? Gobbler? Abu? Gnolio? Elle?"
"Here," the rest replied.
"Well, hmm! Let's open it and see!"

I opened the chest but there was nothing inside. It looked rather deep on the outside but it was very shallow on the inside. I looked at my pets and they all shrugged. Did someone leave it behind? It was golden just as the chests were that most of my pets brought home but something was off about it. I moved it closer to the window and took out a knife that I had found in Shallow Waters over at the Pond of Life. I tried prying the bottom out but the knife snapped. I sat back on studied the markings but they seemed to be the same as the other chests.

Continued....

In reply toRe: msg 51
Rahia13

4/28/18

"Maybe it is magic," Elle offered, "I could sprinkle some snow sparkles on it and see if it opens."
"It can't hurt," I agreed and motioned her over. She flapped her wings until I thought she was going to faint but nothing happened. Well, I did get a nice puddle of water in my house.
"I could try heating it up," Blaze, my pet Phoenix said. I nodded and watched the curtains go up in flames, "I'm sorry!"
"Don't worry but maybe we should take it outside," I said, picking up the chest. It was really light for a golden chest. I mean super light, if I didn't know better I would think it was a wooden chest. I glanced at Gryff and wondered if maybe he wasn't playing a joke at my expense. Oh, he had done it before. He brought in a golden chest once and it was filled with dung. Yup, he had collected it and put it in the first gold chest that Ruddy had brought back for me. He had a good giggle until he realized that that didn't work for me. He only gets out every now and then when I have enough food for all the pets.

I set the chest down in a nice clearing a few yards from the house and let all my pets have a go at it. Nothing worked! I decided to try my trusty Ace of Old Leader but the smack resounded up my arms and down my legs. It was a stubborn chest! I decided to sketch it out and ask around. I carried it back inside and placed it behind the Christmas Tree.

It was completely odd, nothing was taken. We had done an inventory and I had everything. My notes, maps, Rune Stones, everything was here. The only thing that was different was the golden chest. Why would someone give me an empty golden chest? Is there a purpose to this chest or just something to frustrate me?
Once again, I had more questions than answers so I decided to head off to the Tavern. Who needed sleep anyway? It was a new day and all that glitters is definitely not gold.

(NOTE: Meet my pets! HAHAHA! Filler is filler. Plus I did get an odd gold chest today while playing. I sent out Poe and he brought back an empty chest. I'm not joking, it's the oddest thing I had ever seen. So, I had to write about it.)
In reply toRe: msg 52
Rahia13

4/28/18

Arabella Scales

I stepped inside the Tavern, placed my order and headed over to Canta. He smiled as I sat down. The Iron Knight took a seat opposite me and we started out daily game of dice.
"Tell me, did you know that Arabella had been married five times before?"
"Of course," the Iron Knight replied, his one red eye glowing, "It's common knowledge."
"I didn't know!"
"You didn't think to ask," he said with a shrug, "If you want to know about Arabella, why not just ask her?"
"Would she talk?"
"She has nothing to hide," he replied and threw a double six on his last round, "Ha, better luck next time, Rahia."
"It's okay! I'll just beat you three times tomorrow," I said with a grin and a wave. I moved away from the dice table and over to Jeronimo to eat my crab melt and gulp down my pear cider. I settled my tab and headed towards the Dark Tower. Anabel was waiting for me when I got there.
"Don't believe a thing she tells you," she warned, "Something isn't right with that witch."
"I guess you are all sunshine and roses," I retorted back and she actually hissed at me.
I shrugged it off. I figure Anabel just had her claws out because of the whole love triangle. Was that settled now? I could never keep up with those three. I took the stairs to the Laboratory and found Arabella waiting.
"So, you've come at last," she said, waving around a Reconciliation Rod.
"I have."
"It took you long enough. I thought I'd waste away while you talked to the whole Castle before you got to me."
"I had to know what I was walking in to."
"Cautious but curious, I like that," Arabella stated flatly.
"You have to me in my line of work."
"And what is your line of work?"
"Everything!"
"A Rahia of all trades," she laughed.
"Something like that."
"So what can I do for you?"
"Tell me the truth."
"I can do better, I can show you," she said and threw a ball of glowing white at me. I felt myself falling backwards but I didn't land hard as I expected. Everything did go dark for a second or two and then I was blinking my eyes open and found myself in the Underground Grotto.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 53
Rahia13

4/28/18

I stepped forward and looked at my reflection in the waters surrounding the Crocodile Bush and realized that I was looking through Arabella's eyes. I was momentarily freaked out but decided to go with it. I've been thrown in the past before and nothing had happened.

"Arabella, it is time to go," a woman I recognized as Lethe said.
"I don't want to go Aunt Lethe. Why should I leave my home just because father wants me gone!"
"Now, Arabella. It isn't that simple. You know this."
"If we board that ship at the Port, I'll never see the Castle again. This is as much my home as it is his! I was born here. I was raised here," I said, my voice becoming more shrill.
"I know Arabella but.." Lethe started but her words were interrupted as I/Arabella cast a spell on her. She turned to stone holding the Stone Bowl in her outstretched arms.
"I know we are leaving for you as much as for me. There are no guarantees that you will survive if we leave. This way you can survive until I can find a cure. I will cure you Aunt Lethe, I promise," she/I said as tears slipped down her/my cheeks, "I won't lose you. You are the only one I have."

The years passed as she studied all types of witchcraft. I watched through her eyes as her life played out. The harsh words between her and her father. The day she meet Diego and the day her world crumbled. Through it all she kept practicing and learning, crowing more powerful. I did learn that Diego was an Elvyn prince and the blood on his sword she took. I saw her fall for the Snow Imp, Lucius and the argument that lead to him becoming the Ice Monster. She once again took a drop of blood. The courting of her and Hamish was fast and swift and even though I knew it was doomed, I also felt how much she loved him. The blow when he told her he loved another crushed her and also hardened her. I had though that Hamish was mortal but he was a fire wizard and I was not at all surprised when she took a drop of his blood.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 54
Rahia13

4/28/18

The moment she met Kestril, a bard and a banshee, her heart went out to him. They were happy for a time however his death did not happen as the Ice Monster said. Yes, he did find out about Arabella being a witch and he did run. However not away from her but to stop the figure all in black who was behind Arabella. He shouted assassin and the figure fled. Kestril took off after him and met with an untimely end at Ice Rock. Arabella cried her eyes red but she still took a drop of blood from him. While she was grieving for Kestril she devoted herself more and more to her craft. She took to visiting the Gnomes and learning forge craft from them. There she met Jorg, a Knight in the Kings Guard and a master forge crafter. I watched as she sent him away through a veil of tears but not before extracting a drop of blood.

All through the years her one constant companion was a girl her age, Anabel. They talked, shared secrets and became close friends. That all changed when the Iron Knight started to show promise and the fact that he was a werewolf. He was taken with Arabella and he didn't hide the fact. Arabella and Anabel fought for Anabel had always been in love with the Iron Knight. Lethe had it wrong, Arabella did not trick Anabel into drinking the Blood Flow Potion. I saw through Arabella's eyes as Anabel gulped down the potion on her own and smiled coldly at Arabella.
"I will have him now," Anabel laughed, "No matter what you do, he will be mine!"
"Anabel," Arabella called after the retreating Anabel. I felt her collapse and cry bitter tears over losing her best friend.
"Don't go," she cried over and over until her throat was sore. It felt as if the whole Castle was weeping with her.

I felt a tug and knew I was being pulled forward to the present.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 55
Rahia13

4/28/18

"So, you see, I'm not all bad," Arabella said as I was jolted back into the present.
"I saw, I felt but you took their blood."
"Well, yes. They were each powerful and I figured if I could harness their power through their blood that would help me. There are dark forces at work, I've felt it for years," she explained, "I want to be ready when they come a calling."
"I see."
"I'm sure you do. I," she sighed and sat down, "I just want something constant in my life. You know how many husbands I've went through. I don't really care for the Iron Knight so I figured if we married nothing would happen to him. I didn't know Anabel loved him, she never said. I did think about backing off but then the Iron Knight changed. He suddenly loved Anabel and it made me curious. I never cast anything on him, I promise you that. After a few weeks he would come back to me, professing his love and then a few days poof! Off he would run to Anabel!"
"Does Anabel have any magic in her blood?"
"No! Well, I'm not sure. I would sometimes catch a hint of something but then it would be gone. She seemed almost child like most of the times and sometimes she would be wise beyond her years. I caught her several times pouring over my books but I didn't think much of it."
"Nothing is ever what it seems in this place," I stated with an exasperated sigh and sat down beside the witch.
"No," she said looking over at me, "it never is."
"If you don't love the Iron Knight, why not just let him go?"
"I would, if I thought he truly cared for Anabel. I don't want to see either of them hurt. Besides he already gave me a drop of his blood, freely. So it's not like I need to marry nor do I want him dead if I am cursed."
"Arabella, speaking of curses about Jorg.. I promised him I wouldn't say anything but do you know the punishment for divorce in Gnome culture?"
"No," she said with a shake of her head.
"It's constantly pulling a heavy sack that never comes up. It's really odd," I explained, "but he can never leave his post."
"Oh that's horrible," she cried, "I'll go over and fix that as soon as I can!"
"Good, I always felt sorry for the poor guy," I said with a grimace.
"I can see that. I'll set it right. That isn't fair since he didn't want a divorce. I'll go explain my reasoning and hopefully they will let him off."
I nodded and stood up, "Thank you, Arabella."
"No, thank you," she said sticking out her hand. I took the offered hand and felt the prick of a needle.
"What did you do that for?"

Continued..

In reply toRe: msg 56
Rahia13

4/28/18

She shrugged, "I collect blood from all the powerful beings in the Castle. There is something about you that is very powerful. Hopefully all the blood I have collected will be enough when that dark force arrives."
"I'm not powerful. I'm not even mystical. I'm just human!"
"Human, no but I have no clue what you are. Won't it be exciting to find out," she smiled.
"Uh, yeah. Sure," I muttered and decided it was time to leave. I dashed through the Dark Tower, passed the Town and stumbled into my small home. I slammed the door and slumped against it.

I'm nothing more than human, I thought. I don't feel powerful. I'm just me! I looked around my house and confirmed that I was just ordinary. I wasn't powerful, was I? Did Arabella sense something? Is that why I was being targeted? Was is it not something I had but what I was? Always more questions! Why can't I just find the blasted answers for once? I'd give anything for just one answer to fall from the sky and into my lap!

"Ahhhhhh," I screamed into the empty house. I was hoping to release all of my frustrations with that one scream but all it did was hurt my throat. Great!

In reply toRe: msg 57
Rahia13

4/28/18

The Tale of the Five Sisters

I was tired from lack of sleep, my finger still hurt from Arabella's little pinprick and my head hurt from all the questions rolling around in my brain. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed after drinking a vat a pear cider. That was not to be as I noticed presents sitting under my tree.

"Funny," I said looking around, "Christmas Eve is tomorrow. What are these doing here?"
"Delivery from someone," Elle stated, "They fell from the sky while you were gone."
"Plop, plop, PLOP," Gnolio said while jumping, "Open, open OPEN!"
"Okay," I sighed and proceeded to open the brightly wrapped presents.
The first one was wrapped all in blue and held a few pet medallions. The second was wrapped all in red and held 100 coins. The third was polka dotted and had a zebra stripped ribbon. It held 4 diamonds and a Beast Scratch. The fourth was psychedelic in its wrapping job and held a Bemusing Potion, a Headache, a Celestial Hunter and a Flying Dutchman. NICE! The last package was pink with a blue bow and was rather heavy. I opened it to find a book.

The Five Elemental Sisters by Gary R.R. Martin.

"Uh huh! If he is any relations to other Martin, I'll guess everyone dies and we wait FOREVER for the next book," I said with a grimace.
"Read it to us," Elle suggested.
"Okay," I said and got up to walk over to my over sized chair. I sat down and poured myself a glass of berry cider. My pets all gathered around the chair and watched me expectantly. I took of sip of berry cider and started the book.

"It was a dark and stormy night...."
"No! If it's scary I don't want to listen," Flutter yelled, covering her head with her wings.
"It was a dark and stormy night..." I started again, glaring at the butterfly.

Continued...