Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How to transfer game to new pc.   Technical Issues

Started 1/3/20 by SamDee632; 8711 views.
Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

1/20/20

Howdy SamDee!

Here's detailed Instructions for the method I use to make a Backup of the MC progress.  I have 13 Castles, and have made Backups HUNDREDS of times and Restored my 13 Castles without fail and without having to wait for BFCS and retained ALL my stuff AND ALL MY FRIENDS.  I have Transferred ALL my Castles to different Devices at least 8 times over the past couple of years without fail.

Down the page you will see the instructions for Transferring  your Castle to a new/different device.  I made the type bigger so it stands out.  But please read the whole thing first and PM me if you have any questions.  I'm always happy to help!

First your PC MC progress lives in:

AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle

1. Click your Start Button, Open your User (at the top of the Start Menu Popup)

AppData should be right there in the lineup. If you don't see it, type Folder Options in the Start Button Search box, go to Folder Options, in View, scroll through and check Show All Folders and scroll down further and (I think it's a button instead of a box to check) Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives (or words like that).  AppData will now be visible. Repeat Step 1.

2. Open AppData

3. Open Roaming

You will find the Elephant Games Folder.  This is where your MC Progress 'lives.'

4.  COPY the ENTIRE ELEPHANT GAMES folder, Then PASTE it to the Desktop.  I Rename it like:

Elephant Games Dhyani Nov 1

5. Then copy THAT Renamed/Dated Elephant Games folder to a Flash Drive, SD Card, External Hard Drive or Cloud Storage ~ whatever you have handy, for external storage in case your game and/or computer hoses up and you need to transfer your game to a new device.

If you want to make frequent backups, you MUST Rename the first backup you made, otherwise the new backup will try to overwrite the previous backup and I've had wonky results.  I backup maybe twice/week or more frequently when MC is having known issues requiring Developer tweaks/patches/updates LIKE WE'RE HAVING NOW!!! 

When Restoring your Game yourself, remove the wonky Elephant Games Folder from AppData Roaming.  (I put it in the Trash) 

COPY your good backup of the Elephant Games Folder (from the Flash Drive, etc.) and PASTE into AppData\Roaming.

You MUST remember to Rename the good backup copy of the Elephant Games Folder which is now in AppData\Roaming to remove any Renaming you did.  The MC Shell will NOT recognize it if it says anything other than Elephant Games. I edit the Elephant Games Folder AFTER I copy/paste it into AppData\Roaming.  

Launch from Game Manager or the Desktop Shortcut (if you have one) and your Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact ~ Restored to the MC progress at the moment you made the backup.

This Restoring method also works if you want to Transfer your MC progress to a different/new Device.  After you Copy the Elephant Games folder (from the Flash Drive) and Paste it into AppData\Roaming, Rename Elephant Games folder to remove any additions you made, and THEN Download MC from BFG

Launch from Game Manager and your Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact ~ Restored to the MC progress at the moment you made the backup.  

Hope that Helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

SamDee632

1/20/20

Thank you so very much. Very clear instructions.

Dee

typicalme

3/11/20

Great information.  I was able to transfer my game to a new computer.  It took a little effort to find where the AppData was on Windows 10, but other than that, your instructions allowed me to transfer the game with no issues.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

3/11/20

YAAAYY!!!  WOOHOO!!! CONGRATS!!! thumbsupclaptada

And please remember to make regular backups of your Castle progress so when, not if, the game goes wonky.

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

datsalotta

3/13/20

Dhayni - THAT IS AN AWESOME POST. I had been pondering backing up my game but was not aware of the best way to do that. THANK YOU and I will be doing what you say very soon. Luv, datsalotta.

GrannyBee

3/13/20

Hi, Dhyani - question from a non-techie here - I now have two castles - will this procedure capture the data for both of them or does it need to be done separately, in each "User"?

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

3/13/20

While I DON'T recommend accessing your 2nd Castle's progress from your Main User Admin Account, it IS possible.  And since I don't recommend it, I'm not going divulge the method :)

Easy enough to Switch Users, and make the backup.  Please Rename the backup adding the Castle Name and Date to the backup so you can differentiate between your two Castles and the dates you made the backups. 

I usually keep only the last TWO backups of each Castle (deleting the older ones.)  And I have a folder on each of my 13 Desktops (named for its respective Castle) to house backups as well.  That way, in case one is wonky, there is an alternate source for a good backup.

If you're making the backup(s) to a Flash Drive or other external media, an Icon for that media should be visible on EACH User's Desktops . . . if the external media is plugged in, that is :) 

If it isn't visible (and assuming you're running Win 10) you can go to This PC, Devices and Drives, see the external media.  Right-click on it and make a Shortcut to the Desktop.

Does that make sense???

XXOO ~ Dhyani boom

GrannyBee

3/14/20

Thanks so much, Dhyani!

For some reason I was having trouble finding the Roaming file from my other User but I've miraculously been able to do it now and am all set.

Thanks for always being so patient and helpful! :)

b

Susanna502MC

6/9/20

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Got a new pc and successfully transferred a game from my laptop to the new pc. Everything is there - level, friends, inventory, etc. Same ID. I am totally blown away. My laptop is a 15" screen. I got a 24" monitor to go with the new pc drive. I won't have to worry about getting new glasses right away. Now I need to see if I can transfer my other pc game also.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

6/13/20

WELL DONE ~ WOOHOO!!!! thumbsupclaptada

I assume you are wanting to transfer another MC Game (progress) to this new PC, right??

So Create a New User Account (I would name that User Account the same name as the Castle that will 'live' on it.)  This will help if you lose your mind and create several MC Games on the same device.  I have 8 on one Laptop and 5 on another Laptop.  Yes, I am ABOLUTELY INSANE!!!

Copy the Elephant Games folder from the old Computer, add a suffix (Castle Name and Date) to the EG folder and paste it to a Flash Drive.  DO NOT DELETE THE EG FOLDER FROM THE OLD COMPUTER JUST YET (in case you have to repeat the process)

Plug the Flash Drive into the new device, open that New User Account you created. 

Go to AppData\Roaming

REMOVE the existing Elephant Games folder (I usually put it i the Trash but don't Empty the Trash yet)

Open the Flash Drive, Copy the 'progress' Elephant Games folder with the suffix)

Paste it into AppData\Roaming.

YOU MUST EDIT OUT THE SUFFIX AT THIS POINT, otherwise the MC 'Shell' won't recognize it if it is Titled anything other than Elephant Games and will create a NEW GAME with a NEW ID.  If that happens, you can Trash that new Elephant Games folder and repeat the transfer from the Flash Drive, so don't freak out.

Close AppData\Roaming

Launch Game Manager, and PLAY MC.

Your 2nd Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact.

Oh, and if you want to make a Shortcut to the Roaming folder to make future progress backups muuuuuch easier, open AppData again and Right Click on the Roaming folder and Send to/Create a Shortcut on the Desktop (or words like that) in the popout menu when you Right Click on the Roaming folder. 

Each User Account has it's own AppData\Roaming folder (and the contents therein) i.e. the Elephant Games 'progress' folder) so create the Roaming Desktop Shortcut when you are in that User. Switch Accounts to create the Roaming Desktop Shortcut for the other MC game that lives on the other User Account.

Does this make sense???

XXOOXXOO ~ Dhyaniboom