Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 141267 views.
LvlSlgr

5/13/18

pclark200 said:

A friend turned me on to Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum novels and they have me literally laughing out loud!

You're absolutely right about that! I usually read when I go to bed to help me fall asleep. I have to save the Stephanie Plum books for strictly daytime reading. I would never fall asleep at night because I'd be laughing too much.

LvlSlgr

5/13/18

Di (amina046) said:

Try guttenberg.org ! every classic is free

I just wanted to let others know the correct website is gutenberg.org. When I put it in with two "t's" my virus protection came back warning it was a risky site. I quickly closed that and searched and discovered it only has one "t".

LvlSlgr

5/13/18

Di (amina046) said:

Finished a book I enjoyed: the uncommon reader

Di, is the author Alan Bennett? Just checking to make certain I found the right book.

In reply toRe: msg 40
LvlSlgr

5/13/18

Just thought of another author who I really like - Pat Conroy. I've read all of his books except the last two. I'm kind of hoping the price might go down some. He's another author who died (in 2016) that I'll miss.

I really need to head to bed. The Sleepy Smiley Smiley Face, Emoticon

mmpendo

5/13/18

Must say I love the title. Will look for that. Thanks for the recommendation.

mmpendo

5/13/18

Trixie Belle (AnnaDownes01) said:

'Looks like I will  have to get a kindle,'

Me too. But I will miss physical books - the touch, the paper, the font, the dust jacket, just the beauty and the experience of a book. Alas...

You're right, it is the smell and the feel and the joy of turning a page or having a nice bookmark to keep the spot you're up to.  I have some books I have had since I was 8 years old, a good selection of my father's books, especially the Australian Poetry books he got for his 21st birthday in 1938.  Some of my paperbacks have been read and re read so often they are falling apart.  I have had to get newer reading copies of them.

Do you have an IKEA store near you.  They are relatively easy to put together.  I always joke that I have a degree in IKEA, I have put together so many bookcases over the years.

I really would have like to have custom made shelves but, unless I win the lottery, that will never happen.  

A second-hand bookshop in Randwick, a suburb of Sydney had bookshelves against walls and in front of them more bookcases on runner, so that you could move them around and see what was in the shelves behind them, mostly extra copies of the front shelves.  That is what I would love. Really space saving in a smaller room.

I also use my library for board meetings  for the Lions Club I belong to.  They really love it, fitted out with hanging power points if I want to set up the computer or a sewing machine, a sink for washing up, tea and coffee.  I can set up a jigsaw puzzle and leave it  safely out of Myrtle's way.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

5/13/18

I've read the Uncommon Reader. Very very short but excellent. My boss recommended that one to me.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

5/13/18

No, I don't believe we have IKEA in New Zealand. If we did, it would be in Auckland. I would really like built in shelving rather than bookcases. In case of earthquakes. Bookcases fall over. One day I will do that. Not right now, cause I need a new washing machine and fridge first. Then new lino (or tiles) in the bathroom and kitchen. Then new kitchen units. Then bookshelves!