Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 66880 views.
In reply toRe: msg 403
Di (amina046)

10/3/19

katiek2

10/4/19

I was so excited when I received my first Kindle, and loaded it up with every book I could find that I thought I might possibly read.  After all, all of our bookcases were full, with unshelved books stacked up on our desks.  I began reading my books on Kindle and quite enjoyed myself, swiping my finger across the screen and not worrying about where I was going to put the book once I'd finished it.   A year or so later, I received a paperwhite Kindle with a lighted backscreen.  Now that was simply MAHVALUS!  I could read in bed without turning on the bedside lamp, turn the page by touching the margin of the screen.  What could be better?

WELL!  Let me tell you - there is nothing more satisfying than holding an actual book in your hands, turning down the corner to mark your page (yes, I know - sacrilege!), feeling the weight of it, the actual act of turning a page, highlighting passages with an actual highlighting pen, not worrying about whether or not the book is charged, or even if there is a charger nearby, buying cute/beautiful bookmarks, spending hours in the bookstore discovering new authors simply because the design of the cover attracted me.  I absolutely love shopping in our bookcases for something to read - my favorite authors are there, as well as some that were not-so-favorite that are now new to me.

As for space for those books stacked on our desks - two new bookcases arrived this morning (which prompted me to answer your post) and we are now in the process of unpacking and getting them upstairs to what will become our library (goodbye TV room that no one uses).   Once we get the energy to unload the current bookcases in our office, move them to the library-to-be where they will join the new and old ones that currently reside there, we will be ready to restock their shelves.  Plans for the future include having floor to ceiling bookshelves built around the room, with reading chairs, lighting and a table in the middle.  Add a mini-fridge, coffee maker, and microwave - I'll never be seen downstairs again.

But, that raises a whole new question - what will we do with all that wall space in the office and bedroom where the old bookcases used to reside???  I guess the bookcases replaced by the floor to ceiling shelves will just have to return to the office and bedroom.  Can't wait to start filling them again.

P.S.  Neither of us have even looked at our Kindles for probably three years.

Nona (Waldmeister)

10/4/19

I also prefer real books to digital. But digital is great when travelling - you have your library with you (although I have spend a good deal in bookstores on my travels and came back with quite a haul). I also like the opportunity to read a bit in a book before I buy - so I do love exploring bookstores but online browsing is a good second.

Enjoy your library, if some tea-making facilities were available and maybe a toaster I'll consider moving in.wink

katiek2

10/5/19

I'll set the tea fixings next to the coffee pot, and a toaster oven next to the microwave.  Welcome!

Nona (Waldmeister)

10/5/19

Thank you, very comfy!

LvlSlgr

10/14/19

I just finished Pieces of Her by Karen Slaughter. This was the first Karen Slaughter book I've read. I want to send a BIG THANKS to whoever it was in this discussion who recommended her books. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by her.

Thanks so much!!

In reply toRe: msg 409
LvlSlgr

Dec-2

Hey everyone! I know this time of year we usually don't read as much because we're so busy preparing for the holidays. But I wanted to tell you about an article I recently read (internet) that I thought was interesting. Or amusing???

I don't recall who wrote it but it was about a method to read more. Simply said, he recommended setting a goal of reading 20 pages each day - preferably first thing in the morning. Nothing wrong with that. I know when I'm reading a long biography or a non-fiction book that doesn't have a fast-moving pace I will set a goal of 20-30 pages each day to keep me going.

Here's the interesting part. This person stated at this rate - 20 pages per day - he is able to read 7 books in 10 weeks or 36 books in a year. Sounds great, right? Except one thing - at that rate just how big (how many pages) are those books? Let's do the math. 20 pages per day equals 7300 pages for a full year of 365 days. If you divide that by 36 books then those books average out to be 202.78 pages per book. Really??

I don't know about anyone else but most books I read are at least 400 pages and some are very much longer. A few authors I read (Dan Brown, Greg Iles, Pat Conroy, Larsen Stieg to name a few) write books which are usually 600-800 pages. I guess that's why I found his calculation amusing.

Speaking of which ... the current book I'm reading (non-fictionThe Informant by Kurt Eichenwald) is about 560 pages (after you subtract the extra notes, etc. at the end) and I need to get back to it. And yes, it's one of those where I'm having to push myself and have a goal to read 20-30 pages each day. Only about a hundred pages left so I need to get going.

Hope everyone has happy holiday and hopefully you'll get some good books to read in the coming year.

pclark200

Dec-3

I was lucky enough to work in the book business for most of my life, and books are my true love!

Right now I'm reading "Moneyland, the Inside Story of the Crooks and Kleptocrats Who Rule the World" very interesting and very timely! It's how the ultra rich hide their money and those dictators bankrupt their countries.

LvlSlgr

Dec-3

Sounds very interesting, pclark200.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about being retired is that I have more time to read ... and to read something other than novels. When I was working I didn't want to read anything "heavy" so I only read novels. Granted they were in the mystery, suspense genre but they were still novels. Not books where I was trying to learn something. Now in addition to those novels, I read a lot of biographies and other non-fiction and I'm learning a lot of interesting things.

pclark200

Dec-3

I love good fiction and mysteries! But I occasionally go to a great book club that reads all kinds of interesting things. This book is one for that club, but it ties in so well with what is going on in our world right now. The first page references Ukraine (who's last dictator bankrupted the country) and the off shore accounts where the money is buried.