Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 71479 views.
LvlSlgr

Feb-15

I know a lot of the MC players are taking a break from the game since the WE ended. Or maybe like me, you're still going in and gifting friends, maybe playing a few HOS, but that's about it. Just taking it easy. Which means I have more time to read.

I managed to read 5 books in January. All but one of these were fiction.

I'm going at a much slower pace this month and I've only finished one so far. I started the month with "A Torch Kept Lit: Great Lives of the Twentieth Century" by William F. Buckley Jr.  That got off to real slow start. It's basically 52 eulogies written by WFB (as they refer to him) of mostly well-known people. Some he knew personally; some he didn't. Each one starts out with a few pages explaining the nature and background of WFB's relationship to that person (written by the editor) and is followed by the eulogy. It's one of those books that is interesting because you're learning something new but definitely not a page-turner. After about a week of reading only about 20 pages each day, I was about one-third through it and decided to set it aside for a bit.

After that I definitely needed some fiction but not anything too intense. So I chose "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I saw the movie about 4 years ago but hadn't read the book. That one took about 4 days to finish and even though it has a somewhat sad ending I really enjoyed it.

I'm now reading one of the free books I get each month for being a Prime member. This one is "Killer Collective" by Barry Eisler. Yesterday was my third day on this one and I'm about 40% done. So far I like it but I didn't realize it was part of a series when I selected it.

So what is everyone else reading? Anything better than what I've been reading???

KNIMtheTOAD

Feb-15

Listening to John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted Riving". I am 9 CD's in have eleven to go. That's right 20 CD's about 24 hours total. Great book as usual for Irvine. I have 3 Craig Johnson's Books all from the Longmire  TV series  now playing on Netflix. Read those during the day.

Albert is doing well. He just woke up and patted my arm.

Happy reading all. KNIMtheTOAD

LvlSlgr

Mar-31

Hey, hey, hey everyone! So how many of you are reading more than ever with the "social distancing" in effect??? I finally  finished reading the book by William F Buckley, Jr. and have read 3 more books since then. Two novels and one biography. I'm currently reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" and hope to be done with that in a few days.

KNIMtheTOAD

Apr-1

Just finished The Walking Drum by Louie L'amour about 12th century foreign lands. Kind of adventure not like his Westerns. I have his The last of the breed about american Indian pilot  who is shot down over Russia and walks his way through Siberia to escape. Very good.

When crawdads sing, by Delia Owens.

Everything Everything, 

A week  in winter, Maeve Binchy

A cat who went into the closet,  Lilian J Braun

A great book to read now is Alas Babylon By Frank. A teacher wrote about what would happen in aftermath of nuclear war and how a small town survives. One of my favorites it will have you making list. 

A few others the library is closed so friends  drop off a wide range of reading.  beggars can't be choosers. 

LOVE TO ALL AND GOD BLESS   TOAD/Otter/MOUSE

LvlSlgr

Apr-1

I've got "When Crawdads Sing" on my list but haven't purchased it yet.

mmpendo

Apr-2

KNIMtheTOAD said:

A week  in winter, Maeve Binchy

I do luv Binchy, I thought I had read all her books, 2-3 times each. But now I must search online for this one. Our libraries are closed also.

Thank you for the referral. 

Stay safe and happy.

rossiking

Apr-27

Thanks for the advice. I advice you to read "A Midsummer Night's Dream". What’s not better than reading and watching fairies and parents getting in the way of true love? Who doesn’t like seeing people get turned into donkeys? When libraries are closed, it's best to read online classics. Now I'm reading "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by William Shakespeare and I'm finding more helpful hints at the same time to write a study about this remarkable, and I find myself very drawn to the work. Who read?

• Edited April 27, 2020 4:28 pm  by  rossiking
KNIMtheTOAD

Apr-28

GET IT. When Crawdads sing. Very good. I am just re-reading(listening)  And catching parts I missed the first time around.

KNIMtheTOAD

In reply toRe: msg 431
KNIMtheTOAD

Apr-28

MUST add to all readers, Goggle local  Library's  for free on line audio books.

Dot (aussieDot1)

Apr-28

Hi rossiking

Studied A Midsummer Night's Dream in my senior year at school (many years ago).  As part of our assessment we then had to perform the play.  Guess who got the part of Bottom???  But we all had a good laugh when I got turned into a donkey.  I haven't re-read it in ages but your words bought it all back.  Thank you.  When it comes to Shakespeare's works I much prefer his comedies to his darker dramas.  Loved The Importance of Being Ernest & Much Ado About Nothing. 

Our library is also closed but we can access books online.  I have been doing this for several years now but find it a bit more limiting than going to the library & browsing the bookshelves. 

I have eclectic tastes when it comes to reading.  Currently reading Agatha Christie.  I was given "The Complete Miss Marple Short Stories" and another multi-story book with 3 stories - "Nemesis"; "Sleeping Murder"; and "At Bertram's Hotel".  Enjoying the eccentricities in the stories.

Dot sunglasses  earth_asia