Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 72517 views.
KNIMtheTOAD

Apr-28

GET IT. When Crawdads sing. Very good. I am just re-reading(listening)  And catching parts I missed the first time around.

KNIMtheTOAD

In reply toRe: msg 431
KNIMtheTOAD

Apr-28

MUST add to all readers, Goggle local  Library's  for free on line audio books.

Dot (aussieDot1)

Apr-28

Hi rossiking

Studied A Midsummer Night's Dream in my senior year at school (many years ago).  As part of our assessment we then had to perform the play.  Guess who got the part of Bottom???  But we all had a good laugh when I got turned into a donkey.  I haven't re-read it in ages but your words bought it all back.  Thank you.  When it comes to Shakespeare's works I much prefer his comedies to his darker dramas.  Loved The Importance of Being Ernest & Much Ado About Nothing. 

Our library is also closed but we can access books online.  I have been doing this for several years now but find it a bit more limiting than going to the library & browsing the bookshelves. 

I have eclectic tastes when it comes to reading.  Currently reading Agatha Christie.  I was given "The Complete Miss Marple Short Stories" and another multi-story book with 3 stories - "Nemesis"; "Sleeping Murder"; and "At Bertram's Hotel".  Enjoying the eccentricities in the stories.

Dot sunglasses  earth_asia

I recently bought a copy of Alas Babylon - the original post-apocalyptic novel. It’s harrowing & frightening & well worth reading. It literally created the genre. Follow up with One Second After by William Forstchen. That one will curl your toenails. Followed by One Year After, which I haven’t gotten yet. 

I’m also getting a lot of e-books on my phone from Libby, since our libraries have been closed for a couple months & I’ve read everything I had checked out. 

Continuing with the Magical Cats by Sofie Kelly & the Dexter series by Jeremy Lindsay, & Phillip Pullman’s trilogy - ready to continue with Lyla’s Oxford, which I’ve just received. Little Women soon to follow - incredible, but I’ve never read it. Also waiting for another Ruth Ware & Robert Parker. Tried a Daniel Silva novel that was recommended, only to find out it’s #21 in the series confounded, so now I’m waiting for the 1st book in the series. 

For when I need a physical book in my hands, I’ve restarted reading Ben Bova’s Grand Tour beginning with Powersat. Wonderful books!

LvlSlgr

May-10

I've been reading "Becoming" by Michelle Obama. I only have about 60 pages left. It has been a most refreshing book to read. Yes, I said, "Refreshing" and that's the best word for it in my opinion ... especially after the past 3+ years.

The book is 462 pages (Kindle version) and divided into three sections. The first section is "Becoming Me" and she talks about her early years, her family, growing up in South Side Chicago. This also includes when she goes to college (Princeton and Harvard Law School), her early years as a lawyer in Chicago, and meeting Barack Obama. This is just a little over 100 pages. The second section is "Becoming Us" (about 173 pages) and takes you from when she first started dating Barack Obama through the 2008 Presidential campaign. The last section - "Becoming More" - talks about her life in the White House as the First Lady.

KNIMtheTOAD

May-13

I listened to Becoming on audio book. Michelle narrates and her voice is so beautiful and sensitive. It won many awards.  Made me miss them so much. 

KNIMtheTOAD

PCGRAM

May-13

Our Library has been closed since mid-MARCH so I raided the bookcase at my Mother's home.  These are books left there since my Dad died in 1981.  Right now I am reading Reader's Digest Condensed Books from 1969!  Just finished Helen Hayes autobiography!  

LvlSlgr

May-13

PCGRAM, back in the early 70's I used to buy those Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I would read them cover-to-cover no matter what books were included. They introduced me to authors and genres that I probably never would have tried otherwise. Actually, that's how I got hooked on mysteries ... reading Dick Francis' books in those.

• Edited May 13, 2020 11:59 am  by  LvlSlgr
PCGRAM

May-13

You are so correct!  My family were voracious readers.  We got 2 daily newspapers, and 3 on Sunday.  I volunteered at the library, my Dad donated many books to our local library when it was founded.  When I retired, I packed up over 200 books from my personal library and donated to our annual book sale.  So being in 'lockdown' is not easy!  Luckily I remembered his trove of books at my Mom's house.  My Mom is 92 and still is an active patron of the library!  

misstracy22

May-14

Hi, 

This is the first time I’ve ventured onto this thread. I’ve only looked at this page. 
I just wanted to say, my dad’s wife was a librarian all her life. She died five years ago. I’ve been helping my father sort things out. So her library is an on going project. I’ve given books away to family and friends, charities included. After going through them. I now have an even bigger stack of books in my room. That’s just the ones my dad didn’t want. I  read a few before she died. She would buy them for me, or loan them to me. I always left with a bag or two full of books. When I visited. 
At work I used to read before starting my shift. We had a book draw where people could swap books. Books are part of my family and part of me. I‘m going to have a closer look on here for more books to read. 
Take care all, 

Tracy snail