Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 79101 views.
LvlSlgr

Aug-3

On July 1st, I posted that I've had Anna Karenina on my Kindle for about 5 years but never attempted it. Well, I'm here to say I not only attempted it ... I finished it! It's a good book with an interesting story, but it was still slow getting through it. It took about 27 days altogether. Most days I only read about 20-25 pages but occasionally I would read 40-50. I also stopped after about 2 weeks and read one of my mystery/suspense novels because I need a break. That one only took 3 days.  Anyway, the most interesting thing about this book, in my opinion, is that there's another story going on about Levin (Konstantin "Kostya" Dmitrievitch Levin) which makes up at least 40% of the book if not more. I think that story was just as interesting as the one about Anna.

I found the following on Goodreads.com about the Levin character -

Levin was originally a marginal character in the novel, but by the final version he had grown into its co-protagonist, as central as Anna herself. Levin is a veiled self-portrait of the author: his name includes Tolstoy’s first name (Lev in Russian), and many of the details of his courtship of Kitty—including the missing shirt at the wedding—were taken straight from Tolstoy’s life. Levin is thus a spokesman for Tolstoy’s own views and desires, such as his dogged search for the meaning of life. Levin’s confession of faith at the end of the novel straddles the line between art and morality—half fiction, half philosophy lesson—and parallels Tolstoy’s turn to religion after writing Anna Karenina.

Well, it's time to read some more mystery/suspense novels for a week or so. Then I'll probably be ready for a biography.

• Edited August 3, 2020 12:17 am  by  LvlSlgr
KatieAn56

Aug-3

I finally got all of the Lincoln Rhyme novels by Jeffery Deaver.  They start off kind of slow and then it gets to a point I just have to finish it.  All in all I have enjoyed the ones I've read.  I have other books by him that I have tried to "get into" but these are the first ones I've actually finished reading the whole book. :)

LvlSlgr

Aug-3

KatieAn56, I know what you mean about trying to "get into" a book. Since I retired (2014) I read a bigger variety of books and have made a point of trying to read some of the "classics" or books by renowned authors whom I've never read. Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Thomas Hardy, etc.

As I Lay Dying by Faulkner - it took three attempts before I could get even 10 pages into the book, but I finally finished it.

The House of the Seven Gables by Hawthorne - I've tried three times so far but have only have gotten abut 20 pages into the book. This one by far seems to be the worst.

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy - I think I've only attempted this one twice. Maybe it's time to try it again.

The Sun Also Rises  by Hemingway - wasn't too bad but it was took longer than I expected even though it's only about 250 pages. I'd like to try something else by Hemingway.

Those are just a few examples.

KatieAn56

Aug-4

LvlSlgr, I have always been an avid reader since my sister taught me before I started school. Most of our family are big on reading and start reading and singing to the young ones right after birth.  It's fun to watch them "read" a story, knowing they are not really reading, just repeating what they have heard over and over with their own twist to the story. :) I retired in 2016 so I have even more time to read and if I stay up too late reading, well that's ok, no work tomorrow. I have several authors I have had trouble "getting into" their books, then I will find one that is interesting and I think why didn't they write all of them like that? I finally read all of Agatha Christie's books.  I also read a lot of Guide Posts series.  They're what I call light reading, but they are enjoyable.  Thanks for the list, I'll look into these. Would be much easier if the libraries would open.  They can open bars but not libraries. And people stay further apart in a library than they do a bar. LOL

mmpendo

Aug-4

KatieAn56 said:

They can open bars but not libraries.

I agree. I haven't been to the library for 6 months. Basically stopped reading so far into the Pandemic. But most of my life I have been a devourer of books, magazines, newspapers, cereal boxes, etc. - anything written.

Here in Quebec (the epicentre in Canada) the provincial gov decided recently to allow inside gatherings of 250 people. Is that not a recipe for disaster?

Thankfully I have my wonderful partner, my many animals, my family far away and my forum friends to ease me through these trying times.

LvlSlgr

Aug-4

Our library here in Shelbyville, KY - Shelby County Public Library - reopened on July 7th with a list of new rules -

Modified Hours of Operation:
– 10 AM–4 PM on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday;
– 10 AM–6 PM on Thursday; and
– 10 AM–1 PM on Saturday.
Rule/Service Changes:
– Twenty-five (25) patrons will be allowed in the library building at one time.
– All patrons must enter and exit from the rear entrance of the library (near College Street parking lots).
– Library staff will wear face masks at all times and gloves when applicable, and patrons are encouraged to do so as well. SCPL will provide a disposable face mask to patrons who do not have one.
– Every other computer station will be disabled to allow for social distancing requirements and computer sessions will be limited to one (1) hour per patron, per day.
– Social distancing of at least six feet will be encouraged by library staff, book stacks have been converted to one-way aisles, and plexiglass shields are being installed at both circulation desks.
– The Reference & Genealogy section will be available by appointment only. (Appointments can be made online or by phone at 502-633-3803.)
– Curbside service will continue on a limited basis after the building reopens.

The only thing I could find on the Louisville Public Libraries is that they are offering curbside service as of June 8th at seven of their locations. All items being returned will be quarantined for 72 hours before being processed.
  • Edited August 4, 2020 6:24 pm  by  LvlSlgr
~J (amsavs)

Aug-7

I don't think our libraries have been allowed open yet. Honestly, I've had to take a break from the news and barely check social media, so I'm kinda disconnected from things. The gov won't let us out of phase 1. And that's all I'll say about that.

Despite not feeling like reading, I think I've finished my goodreads challenge.. or at least when I add the last few books. I've been binge reading then taking weeks off. In the middle of a binge right now.

I've been thinking about reading the book that's a part of the big library read. It's not my usual. I haven't borrowed it yet though. (Thankfully there's eservices..)  I just had to go to the site to find the book for those of you that haven't checked out the big library read, and oh look, there's another hold that's ready. joy It's called The Darwin Affair by Tim Mason.

Also, I found a series called The Jezebel Files by Deborah Wilde. It's described as a snarky urban fantasy detective series. I've read the first 2. I've enjoyed it so far. It's something different for me. I've been debating reading #3 or waiting a bit. #4 isn't out until Oct. Oh, it's apart of Kindle Unlimited for those interested.

LvlSlgr

Aug-7

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check this out.

In reply toRe: msg 475
Moonki

Aug-8

I had to read the classics at University and as an elementary school librarian I had to be up-to-date on everything up to young adult. Most of the kids books were a pleasure to read! Now I’m retired, I read whatever I like - and I read constantly! I’ve just finished the latest Nora Roberts book Hideaway, Nalini Singh’s latest psy/changlin book and Stephanie Lauren’s Cavanaugh series. I’ve liked everything these 3 have written - I think I’ve read all of them. Also the J.D. Robb series.. At the moment I’m reading Bianca D’Arc’s shifter series. I just got Mercedes Lackey’s The hills have spies from Libby and have Closeup by Jayne Ann Krentz on hold at the Library. As you can see, I like a lot of types.

Our Library has been semi-open for a month. You borrow on line or by phone and pick it up at the door. This week you can start going in but with restrictions. You can still do the remote order and door pickup if you prefer.

Moonki

In reply toRe: msg 476
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Aug-10

Just started reading the second book of a trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett, who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. It's called Shorefall, and follows the first book, Foundryside. Both are fantastic. Putting the book down to do anything else (eat, sleep, work, play on the computer), are all just annoyances that take me away from my book!