Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 82010 views.
Playbelle

Aug-29

Hi WeeSam,

I am very interested in information on how to change the cover on e-books.  I downloaded Calibre, but I'm just not very well acquainted with the program.  If it matters, I use a Kindle Paperwhite for readiing.

I kind of had to switch to e-books because I had to move from a home to a single room.  I really miss having my real books everywhere, but I do love the ability to change font size and the backlit option.  My biggest problem with ebooks is the constant typos (new books, old books converted by the publisher to ebooks, free versions of really old books - they are all jam-packed with misspellings, wrong words, even missing text).  Publishers have a lot of nerve selling books of ANY format that haven't been carefully proofread before release.  Artificial Intelligence is a long way from mastering proofreading.  Time for the return of the copy editor and recognition that ebooks apparently need a separate read-through.  Sorry for the rant, it's a pet peeve.

Agreed, I hate it when they "improve" the cover on new editions. Why? Never seen a later edition cover that I liked better than the original. Irritating and a silly waste of money to change the artwork (and kind of insulting to the artist of the original cover).

Oh, and what I'm reading now... time for the guilty pleasures confession: "Midnight Sun".  After all, I have been waiting about 10 years for it. 

Before that I was reading through the Xanth series, mostly because all the ridiculous puns and other wordplay makes me laugh (and with everything going on right now, the laughs are really needed).

~J (amsavs)

Aug-29

The library has 4 books but when I tried to read the sample the popup on my tablet wouldn't let me see the bottom lines of the page. So I'll probably have to check from the computer when I remember.

I guess I didn't have some of the books downloaded to my tablet, I thought I did... so if I have problems with the covers, I'll bug ya!

~J (amsavs)

Aug-29

Oh yea, I hate finding typos. I was just reading a book that had the missing quotation marks in a few places. It's like, well, if you have them at the end of the sentence.... So then I have to read the part again.  KU is terrible for "did ANYONE look at this before you published it?!?" When there's too many it really takes me out of the story.

How is Midnight Sun? I read the other books but I wasn't super impressed by them.

I feel like there was something else I was going to mention. It's 3am here...

Oh right. I actually do judge some books by their covers. Some of the ones I bought, I probably wouldn't have looked at with their second cover. I've read enough of some types that the cover does give me an idea if I will like it or not.

Playbelle

Aug-29

~J, if you didn't enjoy the other Twilight books, you will likely feel the same about Midnight Sun.  For anyone who read the early PDF version posted on Stephenie Meyer's website, those chapters are almost exactly the same (a few word edits and a few expansions on the earlier text).  I'm just now to the part where we find out what Edward does while Bella is in Phoenix. I really enjoyed the reason behind the cover art on this one; very creative, very apt and yet I wondered why I didn't think of that reference immediately when I saw it. So far, I think people who liked the books better than the movies will love it, as long as they remember that it IS the same story they've already read, but from a different viewpoint instead of a "new" book.  How's that for a spoiler-free review of a book I haven't finished reading yet?  wink 

****For a very minor spoiler: I liked finding out that Edward wasn't nearly so confident as Bella thought he was; what he was really thinking in some of the moments when she believed he was so self-assured.****

I've never bothered with subscribing to Kindle Unlimited, but I'm sure you're right about that. There just aren't a lot of modern books I enjoy and the library usually has a copy (or several) of what I'm looking for if it's not a book I want to buy and it's not available on Project Gutenberg.  Loving my e-library card.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Aug-30

Hi Playbelle

You mention you have Calibre, so that's a good start. Calibre is such a wonderful resource for sorting your ebooks. I would be lost without it. I can't believe it is still free. I will PM you regarding how to change covers. 

~J (amsavs)

Aug-31

Hmm... it's hard to describe how I feel about them. I did buy them but that was before I stopped buying books unless it was a series/author that is a fave. I read far too much to buy everything. Didn't she have some sort of short story up? Is that the same? Man this was ages ago and many, many books ago.

KU is only worth it because my reading has kicked into high gear again. I am getting better about giving up on bad books instead of wasting my time. It still takes a lot though. My library card gets lots of use. I don't check out actual books much anymore because our library is strict with the due dates. It automatically checks it back in from the drop slot. Yes, I've had to race to the library to return books before. Luckily I'm less than 5 mins away. joy

Oh, I just looked.. the wait time for the ebook of Midnight Sun is.... 6 months. There's only one copy for some reason. I suppose I should get in line.

I'm currently waiting on my hold for the third book in the Psychic Eye series. I thought I had it but nope. I own #4. I tried to read something else before bed last night but I wasn't feeling it.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Aug-31

~J (amsavs) said:

the wait time for the ebook of Midnight Sun is.... 6 months. There's only one copy for some reason. I suppose I should get in line.

IMHO I think it will be worth waiting for! But don't read it late at night in the dark!

Playbelle

Sep-2

PTG,

I finished it. She answered some of the the questions I'd been wondering about since the I first read the other books in the series. Some of it raised other questions for me, but that was to be expected. It's longer than Twilight (more details and filling in time skimmed over previously), but it still ends at the same point.  

My library has 70 ebooks and almost 50 audiobooks of Midnight Sun, but they are all checked out and you'd still be waiting for months to get one of them.  

It's hard to give a proper final opinion right now because I'm in post-book blues. The series wasn't really over until I finished this one. I guess I'm kind of missing all the possibilities now. Readers are just never satisfied. If we didn't hate it, we always want more. relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 508
TJ (StarBlazes)

Sep-7

I read a lot of books most are audio books because I like to have a book going while I work makes the day go by quicker, So I’m always looking for new book ideas?  Like many of you have posted my favorite genres are Psychological Thrillers, Fantasy, Mystery, Syfi, etc... the kind of books that keep you on the edge of your seat and heart pumping definitely not boring or slow paced lol. I also prefer a series of books or lengthy stand alone books long enough, so that you have enough time where you can really get to know and maybe even feel emotionally connected to the characters.

However, recently I needed a break from the heavier darker genres. And I found a few new series of a more lighthearted often humorous and very much geared towards relationships including furry companions too, with a little mystery thrown in for fun. I thought I would pass along these book for you to enjoy! Since I know many of us here are also animal lovers. And I think with everything crazy going on in the world around us right now many are needing a switch to more lighthearted positive genres.

I’ve finished all the below with the exception I am currently in the middle of the last one awaiting book 4 to be available from the library (I’m second in line) but I’ve read enough to know it fits well in this list. If you do read any of these please let me know what you thought I really enjoyed them so I’m hoping others will too! blush

Paw Enforcement series by Diane Kelly

Witchcraft Mystery series by Heather Blake

Magic Potion Mystery series by Heather Blake

Magical Cats series by Sofie Kelly

Second Chance Cat Mystery by Sofie Ryan

Ten Beach Road series by Wendy Wax

Haunted Home Renovation series by Juliet Blackwell

~J (amsavs)

Sep-11

How are Heather Blake's series? They pop up in my recommendations a lot but I haven't stopped to check them out yet. I've read Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft Mystery series. It's another I might read again because the books are about a year apart and I feel like I need a refresh. I think I remember the first two being a little slow going but it does pick up the pace.

A random tidbit.. I saw a cat meme somewhere and I had a good laugh because I thought to myself, this must be where Kennedy Layne got the inspiration for Leo. Wish I could remember where I saw it so I could share.

PTG and Playbelle, after my last post about Midnight Sun, I forgot to put it on hold... and then I had an internet outage. When I finally did, more people were on the list. But the library did add more copies so it won't be six months. haha. It's been so long since I've read them. I've probably forgotten most of the story.