Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 126309 views.
KatieAn56

Jan-16

I have been reading different series by Tamera Alexander and series and stand alone novels by Lauraine Snelling.  Some are set in the 1800s and it is interesting in the what was "allowed" back then compared to today.  Our library was opened for a few months, but has gone back to curb side service only because Jefferson County, Alabama has such a high number of  cases of Covid19.  I have always LOVED to read and now being retired, I can devote a lot more time to reading (even in the wee hours of the morning) and not have to worry about falling asleep at work. LOL!!!

LvlSlgr

Feb-16

Gee, it's been almost 2 months since I posted in this thread. I've finished 7 books since the last post. Some fiction and some non-fiction. The book I'm reading now may have to be put aside because I just can't get into it. I've been reading it for 5 days now and I've only managed to read about 100 of the 388 pages. Up until last night it was only 40 pages. It's "Tourist Season" by Carl Hiaasen. This is the third book I've read by this author and it will probably be the last. 

• Edited February 16, 2021 2:12 pm  by  LvlSlgr
In reply toRe: msg 562
LvlSlgr

Mar-19

Yes, I finished "Tourist Season" by Carl Hiaasen. It got a little better but not much. As I said, this was the third book I've read by this author. It took me 11 days to read less than 400 pages. I won't be reading anymore.

I've read 4 other books since that one - 3 fiction and 1 biography. Today I just started reading "Jefferson's Daughters". It's the true story of Thomas Jefferson's two daughters from his wife Martha and his daughter with his slave Sally Hemings.

So far I'm on track to reach my goal of 48 books for this year. The thing that will slow me down is when I start reading some of the ones which are 600+ pages.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Mar-21

I read Trevor Noah's autobiography "Born A Crime".  I cannot recommend it highly enough!  He breaks your heart, but makes you laugh while he does it.

Reading Bob Woodward's "Rage" now.  It just feels like I'm rehashing the same old crap.

LvlSlgr

Mar-21

I have Trevor Noah's book "Born a Crime". Maybe I should switch off and read that one instead of "Jefferson's Daughters". I've only managed to read 45 pages and so far it seems to be more about Jefferson than his daughters.

I read Woodward's "Rage" right after it came out. It was pertinent then but I can see where reading it now would seem like you're "rehashing the same old crap." 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Mar-23

I definitely recommend switching over to Trevor.

The way he describes the insanity of Apartheid (Chinese people are considered "black", while Japanese are considered "white") is absurd, but educational.

LvlSlgr

Apr-5

Well, I stopped reading "Jefferson's Daughter" when I was about halfway through - page 161 - after 8 days. I'll go back to it at a later date.

I switched over to a novel by Robert Dugoni - "A Steep Price" book #6 in the Tracy Crosswhite series. Finished that one and started "Here To Stay" by Mark Edwards. This was one of the free books offered by Amazon Prime sometime in 2019. I read one other book by this same author a few years ago. Most likely when I finish this one I'll try "Jefferson's Daughters" again. If that doesn't work I'll try Trevor's book. I tend to read one non-fiction for every two fictions. It's not really intentional, it just seems to happen that way.

• Edited April 5, 2021 5:02 am  by  LvlSlgr
Kid (Kidmagnet)
Staff

Apr-8

LvlSlgr said:

"Here To Stay" by Mark Edwards.

I've read a few - I liked Magpie so got the sequel and then the third in that series - never finished the last one lol. House Guest was ok but it's been a while so I cannot recall if I actually enjoyed reading it. How is Here to Stay feeling?

LvlSlgr

Apr-8

Kid (Kidmagnet) said:

How is Here to Stay feeling?

I finished it in 4 days. It had a different ending than what I was expecting. The other book I read by him was "Follow You Home" back in 2017. I recall it being "okay" but not something where I wanted to read more books by the same author. After reading this one, yes I want to read more of his books.

Kid (Kidmagnet)
Staff

Apr-8

Great, thanks!