Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 248771 views.
LvlSlgr

Aug-22

I've been reading a lot more lately. In July, I read 7 books. Two of those were non-fiction and the rest fiction. One of the non-fictions was "Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew." This was the space shuttle that disintegrated upon re-entry into the earth's atmosphere back in 2003. Honestly, I didn't even recall that happening which surprised me. However, when I finally took a few minutes to look at the date it happened - Feb. 1, 2003 - and thought about where I was living, working, etc., I realized why. That was the day of my father's funeral. 

So far in August, I've read 6 books and expect to finish at least one more. Only one of those have been non-fiction.

No, I haven't tackled any of those longer books that I have. Maybe soon????

In reply toRe: msg 658
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Aug-25

I am just starting the final book (number 39) of my Valdemar re-read. It has been a long time getting here. While I have enjoyed the re-read, I will be glad to move on, their are loads of new books I want to get to. Don't think I am going to read the 15 anthologies at this stage. I'll leave them until later next year and give myself a break from Valdemar for a while. 

LvlSlgr

Aug-25

Good job, WeeSam! That's a lot of reading ... especially in one series.

I finished another book last night and started a new one today.  This one is non-fiction "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara about the Golden State Killer. It's 346 pages and I'm already 20% done.

I'm scheduled to have back surgery this Monday (8/29) and will be in the hospital 2-3 days and then in rehab (I live alone so have to go to rehab) for at least a week. I think that will be a good time to start one of those longer books. LOL

• Edited August 25, 2022 9:59 pm  by  LvlSlgr
PenWeb

Aug-26

Since the next Valdemar book is not out until this November, I have started re-reading the Kent Chronicles, by John Jakes. The Bastard is #1 and is as riveting as it was the first time. I enjoy historical based novels, such as those by Michener (e.g. Hawaii), and this story set in pre-Revolutionary times is fascinating.

PennyB.

PenWeb

Aug-26

Praying everything goes well during your back surgery and rehab. Hope you have some close-by family or friends to visit now and then.

LvlSlgr

Aug-26

Thanks, Penny.

My son is taking me to the hospital but can't stay this time because he's a teacher and right now they don't have substitute available in the Louisville area. I started trying to make the plans for this the first week in March, hoping that I would be able to have the surgery during the summer while he was off. But they couldn't get me into see the orthopedic surgeon I wanted until June 10. Then in May they called and said the doctor wouldn't be in the office that day and they had to reschedule - July 20. When I went in July it was his Nurse Practitioner that I saw. Then I had to have an MRI - which was done 3 days later - and call back for an appointment with the doctor this time. I finally saw him on Aug. 17. When they called me the next day to schedule the surgery the first available was Aug. 29 - not too bad. But I have to get this done as soon as possible because this particular doctor is retiring at the end of the year and won't be doing any more surgeries after the end of Sept.

My daughter ... what can I say ... she's just never been as concerned about helping out when it comes to my health. She's there for her dad - we're divorced over 30 years - but not for me. 

I also realize both of my children have jobs and they also have families. Each has 2 teenagers and that keeps them very busy. But I only ask for help when I absolutely cannot manage something on my own. 

Since my son can't stay with me during the surgery, my sister is meeting us at my house early Monday morning and riding to the hospital with us. Surgery is at 7:30; I have to be there at 5:30 which means we need to leave here at about 4:45. So she will be there during the surgery and will call her husband to come get her when she's ready to leave. She lives two counties over and it will take him almost an hour to get to Louisville.

When choosing the rehab facility, I picked one that is about halfway between where my sister lives - because I know she'll be the main person to come see me - and where my son lives. My daughter actually lives closer to the facility than either of them (only about a 15-minute drive) but I don't expect that she'll even bother. LOL 

I just know already that I'll be glad when I can get back home and manage on my own. I'm so used to being on my own - over 30 years now. Yes, I have to rely on my brother-in-law now for some things I used to be able to do for myself. But I don't like relying on others for the everyday things.

PenWeb

Aug-27

I can certainly relate to your family situation. My ex is now deceased (TG). I live in southwest Fort Myers. My daughter lives in North Cape Coral - 50 minutes away. one grandson with fiancee in Cape Coral - 30  min. away, another in southeast Fort Myers - 20 min away, and a son near Atlanta.  For my cardiac bypass in May, my son took family leave to look after me for 2 weeks after as my daughter needed to work until her shoulder surgery July 1 (the day before my 80th b'day).   I can call in my grandsons, when they are available for any extensive shopping I need. Sometimes my son-in-law is available. I can still drive locally, but going into town is a headache, so usually I call for help for some doctor or errands.

I have lived by myself for 17 years, so can manage most everyday life for myself, but my COPD can still cause problems at times. Thank goodness for MC keeping me mentally alert and active. I have an extensive (thousands) book collection which I have been going through, re-reading, and giving away those I believe my kids won't want. When my son was here, we went through umpteen boxes of accumulated "stuff" and gave a lot to Goodwill. Umpteen more boxes to do. Shouldn't leave everything for the kids to handle.

Again, prayers for a successful surgery and rehab.

PennyB.

KNIMtheTOAD

Aug-27

Hope your surgery goes well that all doctors RN'S lab's and test go well. Handsome and beautiful staff that are kind, learned and funny. Have a great room with a view, no complications and wonderful surgery outcome.

Will be sending you blessings and well wishes your way. 

KNIMtheTOAD

KNIMtheTOAD

Aug-27

Extra prayers for you. they do have people at hospital that can help in all kinds of area's. Do take time to talk to them.  Have to say your daughter will regret more than you if she doesn't take the time to see you through this. If you don't expect anything you can  be grateful of anything that comes.  

To make this fit the category, I get audiobooks from library. Usually have some regular books and go through 10 a week. Mystery, suspense, SYFY, Fantasy, Bio's. Fiction and non fiction. The Underground River by Martha Conway. Holding my interest. By Thursday I will have read over 400 so far this year.

Have also been buying audiobooks at library to stock up for winter. We are suppose to get freezing winds and well above average snow. 

I also need to give a shout out to my Daughter Bobbie who takes care of me. She's top of the line in keeping me up on my doctor appointments, RX's , hospital stay last week. and fierce sense of humor to keep me laughing. Also takes care of inside cats and outside critters.  My only son Eddie passed away  23 yrs ago June. He left me enough caring and love to last. Other Daughter Karrie surgical nurse in Air Force teacher of nursing and science  who answers all my medical questions and is mother of my three Grandsons(wonderful and all out of college and working). They are the ones who have helped me handle all the hard parts of my life that people wonder how i got through.

KNIMtheTOAD

LvlSlgr

Aug-27

Thanks, KNIM. 

I've had 9 different surgeries since 2001 and I can honestly say this is the first one that scares me. But I know it has to be done. I'm tired of living in pain.