Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 249256 views.

Just for something different between the last series and the next, I read Christianna Brand's book  Green For Danger, set in 1940 in a Military Hospital in England.  It was written in 1944 and is the first of her books that I have ever read.  One of those books you pick up on the "throw out" table.  It was interesting and I did not pick the murderer until the end.  Normally I can figure it out quite easily.  She died in 1988 and this edition was published in 1999.  I bought is sometime in the early 2000s and it has sat on the shelf ever since.

LvlSlgr

Oct-20

We all have books we buy but don't get around to reading for a while. I'm also that way with my Kindle books. That one sounds interesting especially since you weren't able to figure out the murderer until the end. 

So ... I finally got around to getting my library card and can now start borrowing books. Of course, as I've said many times, I really prefer reading on my Kindle. So I saw where my library's website had a link to "Libby" and went there. I know some of you have recommended that site before. But I think you have recommended other sites but I don't remember them. Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks!

bajon

Oct-22

I use Libby for my library

LvlSlgr

Oct-22

Thanks, bajon.

There's such a long wait for most of the books I have on my list that I've been watching for. I went ahead and put them on my "Holds" shelf. But some of those won't be available for "several months".  Also, several titles had the following message - "All copies of this title have expired. Your hold will be delivered only if the library acquires new copies." That's disappointing.

I finally found one - "Hour Game" by David Baldacci - which was available now. 

bajon

Oct-22

I agree it takes a while sometimes to get what  you want with Libby. Sometimes they don't even have it. I haven't tried Kindle yet. Does it cost much for the books?  After you buy them do they stay on the Kindle or do they go back?

LvlSlgr

Oct-22

bajon said:

I haven't tried Kindle yet. Does it cost much for the books?  After you buy them do they stay on the Kindle or do they go back?

Kindle is the e-reader by Amazon and you can purchase ebooks from Amazon to be downloaded to your Kindle. Yes, they stay on your Kindle. You're not "borrowing" the books. If you're an Amazon Prime member then you get to choose a free book from a list of books which will be coming out the next month. Three months during the year you get to choose 2 free books. Also, Prime has a library where you can borrow books. These books vary from month to month and you're limited to 10 books at a time. I'm a Prime member because I order from Amazon quite often.

If you're buying the books - and I do that a lot - then the books can be a little pricey if you don't find them marked down. For me, the easy way to watch for a book to be marked is through a website bookbub.com. They have "Wishlist" where you can select the books you want. When those books are marked down on Amazon then you'll get an email to let you know. Because of this, I seldom pay more than $2.99 for a book. Also, BookBub will send you an email each day of a list of books which are marked down - not just the ones you have on your Wishlist.

I mainly want to use Libby to borrow books which just never seem to be marked down. A lot of those are what I call "classics" like Fahrenheit 451 or The Catcher in the Rye. And sometimes there are newer books which just don't get marked down and I don't want to pay that higher price.

bajon

Oct-24

Thank you so much for all the information. I did not know Kindle was thru Amazon. I have always made it a practice not to buy from Amazon. All my kids do. I do have a good reason but will not go into it. It’s just my choice.

I really appreciate you giving me all the information. I had never checked on the kindles and did not know anything about them.

bajon

Oct-24

Also I use Fantastic Fiction to check on books.

LvlSlgr

Oct-24

bajon said:

Fantastic Fiction

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Fantastic Fiction is good, but not all of their information is correct.  I have, on occasion, sent them corrections from my own books.  They do act where corrections are valid.