Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 325900 views.
~J (amsavs)

Nov-6

Yep! Sometimes I manage to catch it early and be somewhere in the top 10. And sometimes I forget to watch for a book and end up close to 100. Also depends on how early the library puts it up. Sometimes they've had it up on the release date.

For ebooks, our local libraries have a wait list of just over 100 for each one. One has 6 copies and one has 10. You'd have a slightly shorter wait over here! The actual books have an even shorter wait. 3 copies and 7 people. I'm surprised yours hasn't added more copies with that many waiting. 

I had another hold become available which I sent on to the next person. I've only finished one of the 4 so far. I think I gave up on at least 2 books. One of them, a few people were rating it low but no review. I want to know why they don't like it so I can decide if I want to continue! I didn't anyway. The 5 star reviews don't help me. 

I'm not sure which one I want to try next. I'm trying to read at least one more of the original holds before starting Dirty Thirty. Because let's be honest, that'll probably be a one sitting read. And the rest are due soon. 

LvlSlgr

Nov-16

I finished The Bone Hacker (Temperance Brennan Book 22) a few days ago. Actually, I took a break between book 21 (which I owned) and book 22 (Libby) and read Grateful American: A Journey From Self to Service by Gary Sinise. It was less than 300 pages and didn't take very long.

Right now I'm reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah - another one from Libby. This one had been on hold for several months.

Other books on hold with Libby are 12, 17, 19, 25 and 25 weeks. The rest are all "several months".

~J (amsavs)

Nov-20

I read Dirty Thirty. I was kinda disappointed. I think my time is about done with the series. I'll probably read the next one but after that, I probably won't bother. 

I had a book a friend said they were reading on hold, that became available. I think it was more fantasy? Haven't started it yet. ‍??

I also ruined my kindle reading streak, but not my library challenge streak. Technically, ruined it twice, once last week, and then I missed Saturday. Oh well!

LvlSlgr

Nov-21

~J (amsavs) said:

I read Dirty Thirty. I was kinda disappointed.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I LOVE the Stephanie Plum series and have been reading them for over 25  years. However, I can only imagine how hard it is to come up with new ideas for the same character on the 30th book.

Another series I've been reading since 1995 is Patricia Cornwell's Dr. Kay Scarpetta. The first book of this series was published in 1990 and there are 27 total. Cornwell has also tried some other series, but they just didn't catch on. I read the others and liked them except for the latest one (published 2019 & 2020). I didn't even bother to read the second book of that series. I felt like Cornwell tried to end the Scarpetta series (didn't kill off the character, thank goodness) about 5 years ago because there weren't any and she was writing that one series that I didn't care for. However, we finally got another Scarpetta book last year. As I said about the Plum series, it has to be hard to keep coming up with new ideas for the same character.

~J (amsavs)

Nov-21

It doesn't help that she's kind of boxed that series into what it is currently. Crazy antics, something is blown up, the love triangle, etc. It's just like music, try to change something and half the fan base is upset. I think I jumped in around book 14?  (I mean, I discovered it when there were 14 books out.)

I believe I bought a Patricia Cornwell book via the book club ages ago. Couldn't tell you what it was about. 

I had one of the books that I had sent on to the next person finally become available. I've looked at new ebooks but nothing is catching my interest, via the library. 

I think I'm going to start rereading Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series. It's one that I want to own as well. She's been releasing novellas and I'm fuzzy on some of the characters. 

LvlSlgr

Nov-21

I hadn't heard of Darynda Jones and her Charley Davidson series, so I had to go look it up. Sounds interesting but right now I think I've got enough series I'm working on. 

Libby - as of earlier this afternoon I have books on hold at 4, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24, 25 and 26 weeks. All the rest are still "several months" out. I have one that I'm currently reading - Mercy by David Baldacci. It's the last book (4) in his Atlee Pine series.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Nov-22

I like Darynda Jones as well. Haven't read any of them in a while, so good to be reminded of them. Will go check for updates I may not have read.

At the moment I've just picked up the latest in the Murderbot series from Martha Wells. I am still loving Murderbot, and so thrilled that Martha Wells is finally receiving the recognition she has always deserved.

~J (amsavs)

Nov-22

Oh she's great. She quickly became one of my faves. I've read most of her stuff. I think I'll have to read the Betwixt & Between series again whenever the next one is released. 

Speaking of patiently waiting... still waiting for Christopher Pike to finish.. anything! He hasn't updated facebook in awhile, so who knows if he has added to the list of books in progress.

Haven't heard of Murderbot. Or Atlee Pine. Things to look up. 

Lvlslgr, you might be tempting Libby to suddenly send a bunch of books your way!

In reply toRe: msg 835
~J (amsavs)

Nov-22

Holy crap. All of Martha Wells' books have a wait list and book #1 has a 12 week wait! Apparently I'm the only one that hasn't heard of it.

First Atlee Pine is available only because the library has 23 copies. It sounds vaguely familiar, so I guess I did look it up before. I mean, at this point, who's shocked I didn't remember??

LvlSlgr

Nov-22

~J (amsavs) said:

you might be tempting Libby to suddenly send a bunch of books your way!

The thing is most books that I put on hold usually start out at "several months" and it's really hard to tell when I'll get them, but I gradually rise to the top. Eventually 3 or 4 may be at so many weeks instead of "several months". That's how it was until yesterday when 3 of them changed to 24, 25 and 26 weeks.