Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Share your favorite recipes   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started Nov-28 by LvlSlgr; 936 views.
LvlSlgr

Nov-28

nvr, here's my recipe for Old-Time Beef Stew. As I told you in my PM, it's from the "Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook" that I've had for over 50 years. I checked my daughter-in-law's updated cookbook that she's had for about 15 years and this recipe is no longer in there. Too bad because it's really good. 

I took a picture of the recipe but when I put it into the post it made it too small to read. So I'll just type it out.

Old-Time Beef Stew

2 pounds beef chuck, cut in 1 1/2- inch cubes
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, sliced
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash ground allspice or cloves
6 carrots, pared and quartered
4 potatoes, pared and quartered
1 pound small white onions
Gravy

In Dutch oven, thoroughly brown meat in 2 tablespoons hot shortening, turning often. Add 2 cups hot water and the next 9 ingredients. Cover; simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking. Remove bay leaves and garlic. Add vegetables. Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, or till vegetables are tender. Serves 6 to 8.

For Gravy: Skim most of fat from liquid; measure 1 3/4 cups liquid. Combine 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour till smooth. Stir slowly into hot liquid. Cook and stir till bubbly. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Serve stew in bowls.

* With most recipes I find I change things as I go along. Here are a few things I do differently - 

• I use canola oil instead of shortening. I think olive oil would change the taste, so I don't use that.
  • I add more Worcestershire sauce than it calls for because I like the taste. Honestly, I don't even measure it.
  • Instead of "1 pound small white onions," I just use 2 of the yellow onions I have on hand and quarter them. Maybe 3 onions if they're on the small size.
  • I also usually have to add more water when I add the vegetables because it's cooked down so much.
  • Sometimes I cook the beef one day and then refrigerate it overnight. It's much easier to remove the fat once it congeals. Then the next day I'll reheat it and add the vegetables.
  • A few times I've added a package of frozen peas just because I had them on hand.

I like to serve this with beer biscuits on the side.

Yes, you could probably do this in a slow cooker, but you would still have to do it in steps. I've always used the Dutch oven because when I first started cooking this about 50 years ago we didn't have slow cookers.

I hope you like it.

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Nov-28

Thanks! Sounds good! Will have to cut down the recipe quite a bit for us.

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Nov-28

I like the idea of sharing recipes here, too. Good idea!

LvlSlgr

Nov-28

Thanks. It freezes well. I make the whole thing; I'll eat one meal out of it and freeze the rest in 5 individual containers.

LvlSlgr

Nov-28

I seem to remember at least a couple years ago we had a few people who posted some recipes, but I have no idea where they posted them. I thought if we had a dedicated thread we might get some others to post something. I mean heaven only know when we'll get to play MC again, so we might as well do something. LOL

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Nov-28

Topic suggestion - THE KITCHEN!

LvlSlgr

Nov-28

Wow! Did you have those bookmarked? The go back to 2018 and 2019.

No not bookmarked. I went looking and they're still showing up in the Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar discussion.

LvlSlgr

Nov-28

Thanks for taking the time to do that.