Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

game transfer on windows 7 computer   Technical Issues

Started 8/3/19 by lilredhood51; 1606 views.
Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Feb-16

Short answer NO!!!  In fact, I prefer NOT to download Game Manager first OR the Midnight Castle Game from BFG first because I don't want to create a NEW CASTLE and have to play it up to whatever Level allows us to Exit.  It's just more unnecessary work and it also creates a derelict game.

FIRST:  I COPY my MC progress (the ENTIRE Elephants Games Folder that lives in AppData\Roaming) and PASTE it to a Flash Drive.

SECOND:  Remove the Flash Drive from the 'old' computer, plug it in the New Computer.  Go to This PC, if you can see the Flash Drive, I recommend right clicking it and Send a Shortcut to your Desktop for future use.  If you don't see the Flash Drive., Restart your New Computer and go to This PC (again Send a Shortcut to your Desktop for future use)

THIRD:  Open the Flash Drive COPY the Elephant Games Folder and PASTE it into AppData\Roaming. Edit out any additions you made to the Elephant Games folder (like the Date)

FOURTH:  ONLY THEN download Midnight Castle from BFG.  Game Manager will automatically be downloaded at the same time.

FIFTH:  Open Game Manager, Launch MC and your Castle should fire right up, intact, at the moment you made the backup. This should also create the MC Shortcut on your Desktop. If it doesn't, I can walk you through how to get the Shortcut on your Desktop.  If you only ever Launch MC through Game Manager, you really don't need the MC Shortcut.

Does that make sense?

If you already downloaded Game Manager that came with a different BF Game, well, you would think it would recognize MC from BFG after your download it.  ***Just make sure you plop the MC Backup (Elephant Games folder) in AppData\Roaming before you Launch MC. SO YOU DON'T CREATE A NEW CASTLE WHICH WILL BECOME A DERELICT GAME, CLOGGING UP THEIR SERVERS.***

IF it brings up a New Castle instead of the Castle you're transferring, Exit that New Castle as soon as it will let you, and then Delete the Elephant Games folder in AppData\Roaming, then open your Flash Drive COPY the backup and PASTE it into AppData\Roaming (edit out any additions you made)

Open Game Manager again and Launch MC. The Castle you are transferring should fire right up, intact, at the point you made the backup.

Clear as mud???

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Sent you a PM

You are so kind to offer this help ---- one question (for the moment LOL) ---- does the flash drive need to be new/blank?

Also, the new computer is W10, the old W7 ---- does that have any bearing on the instructions above?

(going to look now to see what I can find, esp. app/data/roaming)

I'm sure I will be back in touch.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Feb-16

Depends on what's on it and how old the Flash Drive is ~ they don't have an eternal lifespan. 

If you have System Recovery or other Bootable Media on the Flash Drive, they like to live alone.  And the Bootable Media will become unusable if you put ANYTHING else on the Flash Drive.

But if you have enough space for your MC Backup on the Flash Drive that has other stuff on it, and the Flash Drive hasn't been damaged or is several years old, then, sure,  put a COPY of your Elephant Games folder on the already populated Flash Drive.  Then plug it into your new device . . . if transferring your Castle to your new device doesn't work, then the Flash Drive is wonky.  You haven't lost anything but a verrry small amount of time by trying.

Try again with a different Flash Drive.  They're CHEAP.

Whatever you do please don't wipe or get rid of your old device where your Castle progress has breen living these past years, until you've successfully made the transfer and your Castle fires up on your new device. You may need to retrive yet another copy of your MC progress.

You can't really screw this up unless you go too fast and make a mistake.  Even a mistake can be fixed as long as you have a GOOD copy of the Backup somewhere.  You just start the transfer process over until you get it right.

Hope this helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Thanks again =I am working on it and will be back in touch (if I'm not bothering you too much) very soon..

Really, really appreciate your help!

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Feb-16

No bother at all, always happy to help.  Since I severely sliced my middle finger & thumb (puke) last week on a mandoline, I can only type for a few minutes before my digits start throbbing.

Typing with my idiot left hand alone is flat out frustrating.  So, If I don't get back to you right away, don't worry, I'm just taking a short break until the throbbing subsides a bit.

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom