Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Midnight Castle, The Hidden Mysteries   Oh the Absurdity!

Started 4/28/18 by Rahia13; 29308 views.
In reply toRe: msg 20
Rahia13

4/28/18

"Hi, Henry," I called as I stepped out in to Ice Rock. He just grunted and motioned me along. He doesn't really talk much or well at all. He just glances at my backpack with curiosity lurking behind his eyes. I climb up to the Ice Monster and a find a Rune of Purity but that's all I found. I was beginning to think that this really was a wild goose chase but backwards and forwards into the Throne Hall I walk. I noticed the Door Cache had two Rune marking etched into it so I wrote it down. It seems my notes were increasing more than my backpack. I stopped by the Mirror Nave twice and picked up a Smashing Rune and a Wise Sayings. There was also a pyramid with some markings on it so I grabbed that as well. You can never be to sure in the Castle. If anything the pyramid could be a nice paper weight for all the notes I was taking. The Book of Evil in the Forbidden Tower had some odd Runes on it so I wrote those down and backed away after I heard footsteps coming from the top of the tower.

I made way quickly through the Dungeon of the Cursed, only finding a small Rune Stone in one of the Skulls there. The Underground Grotto only yielded some Rune etchings on the Rune Altar. Yup, you guessed it, I wrote it all down. I dropped in to check on the Kraken and let Owlsly do his thing in Mirror Lake. While he was flapping around avoiding the Kraken's fiery breath, I searched the Pirate Ship and the Bag. I only found a Rune Stone hiding behind a crab and a Rune of Ignition, respectively. After, Owlsly had his fun he came back with a Golden Chest which was filled with gold, I headed into the Mystery Chamber. There I found a treasure trove of Runes. The Tree of Knowledge had etching in its bark and on the poor turtle trying to climb the tree. The Shining Split had etchings on the Griffin Tablet and the base for the crystals. Also there were rune stones scattered on the floor. The Secret Slab also had runes etched into it. It was the motherlode of Runes! I quickly wrote everything down and took a break to eat the apple I had found earlier before heading over to the Town.

Continued...

• Edited April 28, 2018 7:00 pm  by  Rahia13
In reply toRe: msg 22
Rahia13

4/28/18

I wandered to the City Cemetery where I found absolutely nothing. This also happened in the Chapel as Valeria kept glaring at me. She also said a few choice words after I upset the owl in the Confessional. What is an owl doing in there anyway? Is the who listens to the confessions? I backed out of the Chapel and in to the Ancient Park where I found etchings on the Mystic Fountain and a Hunter's Rune in the Overgrown Pond. The City Square was once again as silent as a tomb when I entered so I quickly searched the Doll Showcase and the Antique Shop. I only found a Rune painted on the side of the Doll Showcase and a Light-Bringing Sign in the Antique Shop. I admit I was getting rather tired but I had to press on. I slipped into Kaley's Fancy Goods and wondered what Kaley was actually up to. I had never met her and the few times I asked about her, I was shut down. I found a Stinging Rune in the Theater Cloakroom and made a hasty exit.

Metro Station had nothing of use nor did Far Metro Station so I headed down to the Underground Treasury. I found a Rune of Cave Spirit and a black Rune Stone at the Jewels Table. I always feel sorry for that fairy statue in the cage. Could she have once been real? Thankfully her eyes don't follow you! As I moved away from the Jewels Table the White Dragon saw me and set his flames after me. I ran all the way to the Residential District quickly picking up some Runes on the floor of the Handwrought Cart. I took a small breather at the Statue Crack and found a Protector of the Oppressed. All in all the Town wasn't a complete bust but I wasn't jumping for joy either. A dull thud was forming in the back of my head and I was starting to see black spots dancing in front of my vision.

Continued...
In reply toRe: msg 23
Rahia13

4/28/18

Cloud Pier was once again bustling as I approached and the Gnomes once again looked overjoyed to see me. I quickly made my way round searching all I could but came up empty handed so to the Commercial District which also gave me empty hands. I was fearing the worst as two spots didn't have a single Rune. I headed towards the Rune Garden and glared at that Rune Portal. I know there is something there! I stepped on a Hairpin at Mountain Heart and noticed a Rune glowing on the stone while I was tending to the rip in my leather shoes. I patched up my shoes using some thread I had found earlier at the Mirror Nave and continued on to the Source Gates. The Mosaic there yielded some Tomb Bricks and the Source Torch gave me an Incarnation Sign. It was something! Maybe I was back on track, however I had to backtrack to get to the Craftsman District.

I noticed the Blacksmith still sleeping so I inspected his forge and noticed the Runes carved into it. I quickly wrote it down and headed over to the Gnome Kitchen for some lunch. I was served a delicious roast ham with a side of sliced carrots with berry sauce. Well, I think it was berry sauce! I also found a Rune of Law laying on the floor. I quickly dropped my napkin and grabbed the Rune. I got a Poisonous Breath out of the Brewing Machine and headed towards the Dream Palace. Once there I searched the Stone Sarcophagus and found some Runes etched into the stones. The Rune Chest also had Runes etched into the wood. The Guards' Room in Could City Prison turned up a typewriter with runic keys. I can't really say what I expected when I clicked each key but it didn't type Runes. I just wrote them all down in my notebook, I figured the Guards would notice if that went missing.

The Elvyn Forest didn't yield all that much. I found another black Rune Stone in the Arbor in Forest Palace. There some Runic Carvings in the Wooden Panel in the Tree Top along with the same Rune from the Doll Showcase painted on the Cluttered Shelves. So I took off towards the Dark Tower! At the Dark Tower Gates Anabel was sobbing but I didn't have time for her woe is me plight. I searched the Broken Mail Box finding an Encrypted Page and the Sepulcher had 4 or 5 Rune Stones in it. There were a few markings on the fount itself but they looked more like water symbols than runes.

Continue..

In reply toRe: msg 24
Rahia13

4/28/18

The Iron Knight grinned as I entered the Dark Tower Hall but I just stuck my tongue out at him and searched the Checkmate Board. It had a few runes engraved on it so I jotted them down. Searching the rest of the Dark Tower turned up nothing. I realized I had to call it a day and I headed towards home.

I opened the door and dropped my backpack in the chair, walking towards the wall. I looked it up and down, figuring it would make a good pin cushion for all my notes. I had quite the stock pile of thumbtacks from the Guards' Room. I pulled a table over to lay out all the Runes I had gathered and stepped back from hours of work. There was a pattern but you couldn't make it out at first. The same Runes used over and over but there wasn't an order. Perhaps I had missed something in first search. Maybe there was an order and I just couldn't see it. That dull thud in the back of my head becoming a roar.

"They really cracked me good," I said to the air. I finally realized that I hadn't came across Dal or Nimie when I searched the Warden's Hut earlier. How did they get out? I was so lost in thought that I didn't hear the tapping at my window until the window shattered. "What now?"
"R..Rahia," the grating voice called to me. I moved closer to the window and noticed Professor Pinfeathers laying on the window sill.
"What happened," I asked as I picked him up gently and moved him inside. The poor thing had a broken wing.
"I don't know. I was flying around gathering information and the next I'm outside your window."
"What were you looking in to?"
"I..I..," his black beady eyes darting around, "I've been following you. I know that you are searching for hidden passages. So I decided to help a bit since you've been such a big help to me."
"Did you see any one follow you?"
"No," he sighed, his eyes closing.
"Pinfeathers, you stay with me. It's just a broken wing. You've had this happen before. You are going to be okay," I nearly screamed. I jumped up and grabbed the salve and bandages from my backpack. I quickly wrapped his wing and noticed he had fainted. I don't think he saw anyone but he could have information. Why would any one want to harm Professor Pinfeathers? Did he ask the wrong questions or the right ones? I guess I wouldn't know until he woke up.
In reply toRe: msg 25
Rahia13

4/28/18

The Beginning of a Ruse

I tried to make Professor Pinfeathers as comforted as possible once I realized he had fallen asleep. He kept mumbling something in a language I didn't understand. It sounded close to what Trinity, my pet Raven sometimes spoke. I didn't want to call her back to the house nor any of my pets. It seemed I had a long night ahead. I made a cup of tea and headed back to the chair I had pulled close to the makeshift cot I used as a bed. I sat in the chair for hours just watching and hoping he would soon wake up. It got me to thinking of the first time we had met. It's funny really, as the roles were reversed.

Almost a year ago

It was cold out but luckily the snow had stopped falling. I was cold, wet and still bleeding from the last fight I had gotten into while helping Dal gather some exotic pets for a collector. It wasn't her fault that she ran after the snake we were sent to collect turned on us. How were we supposed to know it was poisonous? Hm, I guess I should ask how I should have known! Dal knew, she ran. The original owner came and ordered it to attack and out the door Dal flew. I was left behind with the snake and 20 very angry men. Ah well, I got out that was all that mattered. I wandered around for a few days before I stumbled upon a Castle.
"Are you the niece," the question came out of the darkness.
"No, all my family is gone," I replied with what sounded like something caught between a cough and a groan.
"That will do," came the response and before I could make another sound I felt talons clutching my shoulder. I promptly passed out.

When I came to I was leaning against a Broken Carriage and there was a crow looking at me expectantly. His head twitched from side to side and he was wearing a monocle of all things. His beak opened and the caw I expected to hear were replaced by these words.
"I've tended your wounds and you'll be fine. I have just one request. The previous owner's niece was meant to come and collect her inheritance a fortnight ago but she never showed. You have to pretend to be the niece for a little while."
"Uh, talking bird.. Right," I slowly stood up and backed away.
"Look, they don't know what the niece looks like. I just need a replacement! You can do this to repay me for what I did for you. I saved your life!"
"Sure.. Mr. Birdie. I'm just going to walk down this road now. I must have bumped my head."

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 26
Rahia13

4/28/18

"You didn't bump your head! I can talk, it's a long story that I'd rather not go into right now. There are more pressing matters!"
"Okay, let's say no one knows what the niece looks like. Why would I do this? It's a dangerous web we weave when at first we try to deceive!"
"Yes, yes! I'm a spider, you're a fly come in to my web," the crow sighed, "but you see if the niece doesn't show up then the Lord Chamberlain inherits the Castle and we can't have that!"
"Uh huh," I nodded and turned back down the road.
"There's gold, diamonds and lots of quests!"
I pulled up short, "Quests, you say?"
"Yes, lots of them! The inhabitants of the Castle will ask for things. You'll be able to explore where ever you like, well within reason."
"Okay but how long do I have to pretend?"
"Just until the real niece shows up. I promise!"
"I'll do it. I love to explore! Rahia is the name," I said and without thinking stuck out my hand. He glared at me and I realized my mistake, "I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry."
"Bah, humans!"

Thus began my ruse. It did work for a time and I had the run of the Castle until dear old "Uncle Henry" actually showed up. He forgave my ruse after I reunited him with his family but the rest of the Castle knew and their tasks became increasingly harder. It still wasn't so bad I could explore until feet were sore! Eventually Professor Pinfeathers just decided to hire me on to keep all the inhabitants in the Castle safe and well not fighting with each other. They just did all their bickering through me. He was the only friend I had for the longest time, until I got my Snow Griffin. Of course soon after that Just John started sending me things. He never talked, just sent. I'm guessing all those gifts were from him. I only made actual friends with other residents in the Castle after I hit the Mystery Chamber. It was a lonely month of wandering around by myself.

Well, not completely by myself. In the early days Professor Pinfeathers would accompany me every where. However, crows, even a speaking one, age differently then we do. He needed more and more time to rest in between quests while I wanted to keep going. I'll be honest, he was my first friend in the Castle even if our friendship did start out wrongly. We didn't hurt anyone and every thing turned out well in the end.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 27
Rahia13

4/28/18

Present Day

I shook myself from the memories, a tiny smile playing on my lips. I have a hard time believing it's been nearly a year. I get up to look out my window at the imposing Castle just up the hill. The grounds lit up but darkness still clinging to the worn grey stones. It hasn't changed a bit. Oh well some things have but the outside is still as imposing.

"Ow, you wrapped the bandages too tight," Professor Pinfeathers cried.
"I'm sorry! I'll loosen them up a bit," I said coming back to the bedside.
"It's okay. I can't believe I did this. I must really be getting old," he joked.
"You! Never!"
"I didn't see any one, Rahia," he said looking down at his wing, "There was no one there, I swear!"
"Did you find out any thing of importance?"
"Nothing you haven't figured out, except John didn't send Dal and Nimie."
"Do you know who did," I asked, trying to keep the surprise out of my voice.
"No, unfortunately not."
"Well, I guess Just John is still in my good graces then."
"You should watch your back. This," he said, flexing his wing with a grimace, "will have me hold up in my bed for awhile."
"No worries. I have my pets and possibly a few friends I can call on if needed."
"I made the right choice with you. I knew you wouldn't care about the gold or the diamonds," he smirked.
"They are a nice perk," I smiled, looking over at chests over flowing with both gold and diamonds, "They buy a lot of quiet."
"Yes, they do," he agreed.
"Should I help you back to the Castle?"
"No. I'm sure Lord Chamberlain will be around soon. He worries when I'm gone for too long."
"You must be the only thing that old vamp cares about!"
"Rightly so," Lord Chamberlain sneered as he entered my home.
"You know, you could knock!"
"I could but I don't have time for this! The silver needs polishing, the cobwebs needs dusting and I have a Castle to run!"
"Right, you are important and all."
"Do you always sate the obvious," he asked looking down his nose at me.
"Enough," Pinfeathers yelled, "What is it with you two? You bicker worse than an old married couple." I grimaced at that remark and shooed them both out of my house.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 28
Rahia13

4/28/18

There was just some insults a girl couldn't take. That was number one on my list. Lord Chamberlain is just.. just.. UHG! I cleaned up my house after they both exited and sat down in my over sized chair. So who wanted me out the way? Rather who wanted my work? They could have had Dal and Nimie kill me, so why didn't they? Why would they go after Professor Pinfeathers? Is it Lord Chamberlain up to his old tricks again?

I look over at my wall of Runes and sigh. I have so many questions and not enough answers. I guess I am on the right track. You are always on the right track when someone wants you out of the way. I was so sure it was Just John. Who could it be? Why is my stomach grumbling? I go over to pantry and realize it's empty! Great! Where can I find food at this unholy hour?

In reply toRe: msg 29
Rahia13

4/28/18

The Crypt Corpse

I don't know how long I stayed closeted in my house trying to figure out the rooms. It seemed as though time passed quickly but at a snails pace at the same time. I was frustrated that I couldn't find a pattern in the Runes. I had tried everything I could think of. I knew I was getting no where fast. I decided to head out for some air and stopped by the Crypt. The corpse in bridal attire always made me a bit skittish but it also peaked my curiosity. I finished poking around, finding a Murder's Eye and headed off to check on Professor Pinfeathers. I found him sitting in the Throne Hall where Lord Chamberlain usually stands.

"Hi there, Professor! How are you feeling today?"
"Hello, Rahia! The wing is healing nicely thanks to you. What are searching for today?"
"I was wondering about the corpse in the Crypt."
"Ah, you mean Rowena."
"She has name?"
"Of course! They all have names and even a story!"
"What is her story?"
"Well, if you have time, settle yourself in. I only know about her from rumors and the gossip mill of the Castle. She has been there for a very long time."

I settled myself on the Door Cache and looked at Professor Pinfeathers expectantly. I didn't have to wait long as he started his tale with a flap of his good wing. It seemed the Throne Hall changed and I was looking at it through some one else's eyes.

It was majestic back in the day. There was an Ambassador at the entrance. He looked at if he came from Cloud City. I saw a very young Lord Chamberlain enter the Hall with a beautiful woman on his arm. They smiled at each other as they parted to mingle with the crowd of guests. I was truly shocked to see the Lord Chamberlain smile. He had never smiled in the year that I knew him only looked down his pointy nose at me. The woman I knew I had never seen. She was vision of golden curls and laughing blue eyes. I watched every single male look in her direction as though cursed no one could take their eyes off of her. I noticed one male in particular looking at her and watched his eyes darken with malice. He wasn't someone I knew from the Castle as it currently was. He wore the brown robes of a monk but instinctively I knew he wasn't a monk. He was playing a part. I wanted to warn the woman to run for her life as she approached him but I also knew there was nothing I could do. I was just somehow watching the past unfold and knew that I couldn't change it.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 30
Rahia13

4/28/18

I watched the two talk for some length of time before there was a loud crack that silenced the Throne Hall. The woman had slapped the fake monk and walked angrily from the room. I heard whispers go around the hall. This was Rowena and tomorrow was her wedding day to Lord Chamberlain. I felt my heart sink as I knew she would never make it to the Chapel. I tried to follow after but my footsteps took me in another direction. I was following behind the fake monk. Had Professor Pinfeathers somehow sent me back into the servant of the fake monk?

"She dares to insult me! I offer her the world, everything she could possibly want and still she prefers that weak pathetic Lord Chamberlain over me," the fake monk bellowed as he slammed up the stairs of the Forbidden Tower.
I didn't make a sound as I took in the room I had never seen before. It was filled with potions, herbs and very odd devices. It had a crystal ball set on one of the tables surrounded by crystals of various shapes.
"She'll never make it to the Grand Altar tomorrow. I have seen to that! As soon as she puts on that veil she is doomed. As for the Lord Chamberlain, I'll make sure he will live forever," the fake monk laughed, "I'll make him wish he had never seen Rowena of the Fae!"
I blinked in surprise, as the corpse in the crypt didn't look Fae but one could never be sure in the Castle. Sadly, the poor body I was inhabiting was the instrument in Lord Chamberlain being turned into a vampire. That night after the Castle feel silent I crept into Lord Chamberlain's room and slipped him a Blood Flow Potion. I tried to fight what the body was doing but I couldn't. You just can't change the past. I watched as the body poisoned the Ambassador and turned the Knight Lords at the Castle Gates to stone. Slowly, I watched as the once proud Castle became as I had once found it. I watched the beauty being drained from the Castle over night.

Continued...