Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Midnight Castle, The Hidden Mysteries   Oh the Absurdity!

Started 4/28/18 by Rahia13; 29323 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
Rahia13

4/28/18

"You didn't bump your head! I can talk, it's a long story that I'd rather not go into right now. There are more pressing matters!"
"Okay, let's say no one knows what the niece looks like. Why would I do this? It's a dangerous web we weave when at first we try to deceive!"
"Yes, yes! I'm a spider, you're a fly come in to my web," the crow sighed, "but you see if the niece doesn't show up then the Lord Chamberlain inherits the Castle and we can't have that!"
"Uh huh," I nodded and turned back down the road.
"There's gold, diamonds and lots of quests!"
I pulled up short, "Quests, you say?"
"Yes, lots of them! The inhabitants of the Castle will ask for things. You'll be able to explore where ever you like, well within reason."
"Okay but how long do I have to pretend?"
"Just until the real niece shows up. I promise!"
"I'll do it. I love to explore! Rahia is the name," I said and without thinking stuck out my hand. He glared at me and I realized my mistake, "I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry."
"Bah, humans!"

Thus began my ruse. It did work for a time and I had the run of the Castle until dear old "Uncle Henry" actually showed up. He forgave my ruse after I reunited him with his family but the rest of the Castle knew and their tasks became increasingly harder. It still wasn't so bad I could explore until feet were sore! Eventually Professor Pinfeathers just decided to hire me on to keep all the inhabitants in the Castle safe and well not fighting with each other. They just did all their bickering through me. He was the only friend I had for the longest time, until I got my Snow Griffin. Of course soon after that Just John started sending me things. He never talked, just sent. I'm guessing all those gifts were from him. I only made actual friends with other residents in the Castle after I hit the Mystery Chamber. It was a lonely month of wandering around by myself.

Well, not completely by myself. In the early days Professor Pinfeathers would accompany me every where. However, crows, even a speaking one, age differently then we do. He needed more and more time to rest in between quests while I wanted to keep going. I'll be honest, he was my first friend in the Castle even if our friendship did start out wrongly. We didn't hurt anyone and every thing turned out well in the end.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 27
Rahia13

4/28/18

Present Day

I shook myself from the memories, a tiny smile playing on my lips. I have a hard time believing it's been nearly a year. I get up to look out my window at the imposing Castle just up the hill. The grounds lit up but darkness still clinging to the worn grey stones. It hasn't changed a bit. Oh well some things have but the outside is still as imposing.

"Ow, you wrapped the bandages too tight," Professor Pinfeathers cried.
"I'm sorry! I'll loosen them up a bit," I said coming back to the bedside.
"It's okay. I can't believe I did this. I must really be getting old," he joked.
"You! Never!"
"I didn't see any one, Rahia," he said looking down at his wing, "There was no one there, I swear!"
"Did you find out any thing of importance?"
"Nothing you haven't figured out, except John didn't send Dal and Nimie."
"Do you know who did," I asked, trying to keep the surprise out of my voice.
"No, unfortunately not."
"Well, I guess Just John is still in my good graces then."
"You should watch your back. This," he said, flexing his wing with a grimace, "will have me hold up in my bed for awhile."
"No worries. I have my pets and possibly a few friends I can call on if needed."
"I made the right choice with you. I knew you wouldn't care about the gold or the diamonds," he smirked.
"They are a nice perk," I smiled, looking over at chests over flowing with both gold and diamonds, "They buy a lot of quiet."
"Yes, they do," he agreed.
"Should I help you back to the Castle?"
"No. I'm sure Lord Chamberlain will be around soon. He worries when I'm gone for too long."
"You must be the only thing that old vamp cares about!"
"Rightly so," Lord Chamberlain sneered as he entered my home.
"You know, you could knock!"
"I could but I don't have time for this! The silver needs polishing, the cobwebs needs dusting and I have a Castle to run!"
"Right, you are important and all."
"Do you always sate the obvious," he asked looking down his nose at me.
"Enough," Pinfeathers yelled, "What is it with you two? You bicker worse than an old married couple." I grimaced at that remark and shooed them both out of my house.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 28
Rahia13

4/28/18

There was just some insults a girl couldn't take. That was number one on my list. Lord Chamberlain is just.. just.. UHG! I cleaned up my house after they both exited and sat down in my over sized chair. So who wanted me out the way? Rather who wanted my work? They could have had Dal and Nimie kill me, so why didn't they? Why would they go after Professor Pinfeathers? Is it Lord Chamberlain up to his old tricks again?

I look over at my wall of Runes and sigh. I have so many questions and not enough answers. I guess I am on the right track. You are always on the right track when someone wants you out of the way. I was so sure it was Just John. Who could it be? Why is my stomach grumbling? I go over to pantry and realize it's empty! Great! Where can I find food at this unholy hour?

In reply toRe: msg 29
Rahia13

4/28/18

The Crypt Corpse

I don't know how long I stayed closeted in my house trying to figure out the rooms. It seemed as though time passed quickly but at a snails pace at the same time. I was frustrated that I couldn't find a pattern in the Runes. I had tried everything I could think of. I knew I was getting no where fast. I decided to head out for some air and stopped by the Crypt. The corpse in bridal attire always made me a bit skittish but it also peaked my curiosity. I finished poking around, finding a Murder's Eye and headed off to check on Professor Pinfeathers. I found him sitting in the Throne Hall where Lord Chamberlain usually stands.

"Hi there, Professor! How are you feeling today?"
"Hello, Rahia! The wing is healing nicely thanks to you. What are searching for today?"
"I was wondering about the corpse in the Crypt."
"Ah, you mean Rowena."
"She has name?"
"Of course! They all have names and even a story!"
"What is her story?"
"Well, if you have time, settle yourself in. I only know about her from rumors and the gossip mill of the Castle. She has been there for a very long time."

I settled myself on the Door Cache and looked at Professor Pinfeathers expectantly. I didn't have to wait long as he started his tale with a flap of his good wing. It seemed the Throne Hall changed and I was looking at it through some one else's eyes.

It was majestic back in the day. There was an Ambassador at the entrance. He looked at if he came from Cloud City. I saw a very young Lord Chamberlain enter the Hall with a beautiful woman on his arm. They smiled at each other as they parted to mingle with the crowd of guests. I was truly shocked to see the Lord Chamberlain smile. He had never smiled in the year that I knew him only looked down his pointy nose at me. The woman I knew I had never seen. She was vision of golden curls and laughing blue eyes. I watched every single male look in her direction as though cursed no one could take their eyes off of her. I noticed one male in particular looking at her and watched his eyes darken with malice. He wasn't someone I knew from the Castle as it currently was. He wore the brown robes of a monk but instinctively I knew he wasn't a monk. He was playing a part. I wanted to warn the woman to run for her life as she approached him but I also knew there was nothing I could do. I was just somehow watching the past unfold and knew that I couldn't change it.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 30
Rahia13

4/28/18

I watched the two talk for some length of time before there was a loud crack that silenced the Throne Hall. The woman had slapped the fake monk and walked angrily from the room. I heard whispers go around the hall. This was Rowena and tomorrow was her wedding day to Lord Chamberlain. I felt my heart sink as I knew she would never make it to the Chapel. I tried to follow after but my footsteps took me in another direction. I was following behind the fake monk. Had Professor Pinfeathers somehow sent me back into the servant of the fake monk?

"She dares to insult me! I offer her the world, everything she could possibly want and still she prefers that weak pathetic Lord Chamberlain over me," the fake monk bellowed as he slammed up the stairs of the Forbidden Tower.
I didn't make a sound as I took in the room I had never seen before. It was filled with potions, herbs and very odd devices. It had a crystal ball set on one of the tables surrounded by crystals of various shapes.
"She'll never make it to the Grand Altar tomorrow. I have seen to that! As soon as she puts on that veil she is doomed. As for the Lord Chamberlain, I'll make sure he will live forever," the fake monk laughed, "I'll make him wish he had never seen Rowena of the Fae!"
I blinked in surprise, as the corpse in the crypt didn't look Fae but one could never be sure in the Castle. Sadly, the poor body I was inhabiting was the instrument in Lord Chamberlain being turned into a vampire. That night after the Castle feel silent I crept into Lord Chamberlain's room and slipped him a Blood Flow Potion. I tried to fight what the body was doing but I couldn't. You just can't change the past. I watched as the body poisoned the Ambassador and turned the Knight Lords at the Castle Gates to stone. Slowly, I watched as the once proud Castle became as I had once found it. I watched the beauty being drained from the Castle over night.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 31
Rahia13

4/28/18

The next morning, I heard the screams coming from all over the Castle. The Lord Chamberlain was in despair and the Lady Rowena was dead. I wept over what I had done. Oh I did realize that I hadn't done it but the body I inhabited wept all the same. I curled into a ball on my cot in the Forbidden Tower and listened to the wails below. The door to the chambers I was in was thrown open and Lord Chamberlain strode in. The silky midnight hair he had once had was replaced by coarse white hair and the sparkling emerald eyes were red with fury.

"Where is your master? Where? Rowena never kept secrets from me. I know your master has been chasing after he for years! Tell me now and you may live!"
I tried to shrink back into the wall but solid mass can not go through stone. I found myself being dragged out, down the stairs without mercy.
"You will tell me how to reverse this," he commanded, "or I will see you caged forever!"
I couldn't tell him what I didn't know. I only followed my masters commands. There was nothing I could do for either of the. Those words did leave my mouth but he didn't like them. The laughing Lord Chamberlain was gone and in his place was an cold man. He locked me in the Prison Cell at the Castle Gates. I watched for days as workers came and went from my vantage point. I could see the work they were doing at the Castle Vicinity. I watched them build the Crypt and put Rowena's body there. I watched the Lord Chamberlain visit her every night for years. Slowly, my flesh faded away and I became nothing more than another skeleton in a pile them throughout the Castle. The Lady Rowena faded into the mist of time of legend. Lord Chamberlain was never the same. He schemed for years to have the Castle for his own. The potion and Rowena's death turning the once laughing man into nothing but a cold, stone faced man.

I came back to the present with another flap of Professor Pinfeather's wings.
"..and that is the story before Rowena. It's sad, isn't it? If only she had never tried on the veil the night before. If only she had went to her father and told him of the Gnome King's threats," Professor Pinfeather's finished.
"So the Gnome King was the fake monk?"
"The fake monk? I said nothing about a fake monk! Were you not listening," Professor Pinfeathers asked, adjusting his monocle.
"I guess I got a bit lost in time," I said with a shrug, wondering if it was really the Gnome King or if that part was just legend.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 32
Rahia13

4/28/18

I thanked Professor Pinfeathers for the tale and made my way back to the Crypt. I took out a few Irises from my backpack and laid them at Rowena's feet. I swear I could hear a tinkling of laughter from the corpse. I saw Lord Chamberlain coming from the Castle so I hastily made my way into the Tavern. I nodded to the Innkeeper, played my round of dice with the Iron Knight and started wondering about the other skeletons of the Castle. I had learned of three, the Dead Ambassador, the Prison Cell and the Corpse in the Crypt. Was there more like this? Could this give me clues as the what all the Runes actually mean? If only I knew the right questions to ask! The only thing I got from this story was that Lord Chamberlain was once a very happy man. Although, now after many many years had passed he seems to have accepted the fact of being a vampire, embraced it even. All I knew was that he wasn't the purely evil person I had first thought.
"Ha, lost again," the Iron Knight said breaking my train of thought.
"Yes, well you can't win them all," I said and walked away before Canta and the Iron Knight lured me back with a promise of recouping my loses.

In reply toRe: msg 33
Rahia13

4/28/18

Lord Chamberlain

I made my way out of the Tavern and stopped short. There was Lord Chamberlain tapping his cane at the bridge. He nodded in my direction, walking towards me. I froze, my face draining of blood, my hands growing cold. The closer he got the more I wanted to flee. Yes, we bickered but it was just my way of dealing with my fear of him.

"Rahia, we should talk," was all he said as he passed me and enter the Tavern. I looked towards the door and the bridge. It was just a hop, skip and a jump to be home again. I could nestle down in my cot with all of notes or I could follow. I followed.
I reentered the Tavern and the Innkeeper just pointed up. So I made my way upstairs, for once the flirty Drunken Skeleton, Hamish, let me pass without a word. Lord Chamberlain was sitting at a table in the corner with Professor Pinfeathers. I didn't stop to wonder how or when that wily bird had shown up. I made my way over and pulled up a chair.

"I'm here, let's talk."
"You asked about Rowena?"
"Well, yes, you know I'm curious about everything in the Castle."
"You didn't think to ask me directly?"
"No," I sighed, knowing I looked as shocked as I sounded.
"I can see why. You fear me, yes?"
"Yes."
"I don't bite," he said with a ghost of a smile, "well not much."
Professor Pinfeathers snorted with laughter and even I had to smirk. I had so many questions for him swirling around in my head but he started talking before any could form on my lips.
"Rowena was the love of my life. She was my other half, the better half. The half that kept me sane and level," he explained and I noticed Professor Pinfeather's wings start to flap, "I had it in my head that the Castle belonged to me and in some sense it did. You know I am related to the Vesnik brothers. Oh, it's many times removed but I'm the real heir. However, I could never claim my inheritance because of the circumstances of my birth."
"Prof, before you flap me back in time let me listen," I glared at the bird. Professor Pinfeathers cleared his throat and settled his wings.
"My mother was a chambermaid in the Castle, a really long time ago. She fell in love with the only son of the Castle. Now this was way before either Vesnik brother was born. They weren't even a twinkle in their great great great-grandfathers eye yet. Anyway, she fell in love but he was betrothed to another. I'm sure my father loved her as well but time has dimmed my memories of what she told me before she passed."

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 34
Rahia13

4/28/18

He paused in his tale to take a sip of Blood Lotus Tea and I admit this was the most talkative he has ever been. I was literally on the edge of my seat.

"She was removed from the Castle , of course you couldn't have such a reminder hanging around the Castle. The wife then sent her brother after my mother but he was taken with her beauty. He decided to bite her instead, claiming me as his own. So I grew up in Town but I longed for the Castle. I met Rowena one night at the Chapel. We became friends and things quickly progressed from there. She was there when my mother passed ans she heard the words my mother whispered. You see, the bite didn't turn my mother and it didn't turn me. It just made me stronger, faster and wiser. She told me to actually reach my full power I would have to take the Blood Flow Potion which would unlock the Vampire part of me. I decided not to, for Rowena. Oh, the draw was there but I loved Rowena that much. When the manservant had spiked my tea with it, the choice was taken from me and I turned. It was quick and violent. My heart went to ashes when I learned what had happened to Rowena."
"I'm sorry to interrupt but how did you come to work at the Castle." I asked, praying he wouldn't yell.
"My biological father's wife never had any children so his sister inherited the Castle upon his death. She took pity on me and gave me the job," he said the ghost of a smile back on his lips, " Aunt Ashildr was sweet and loving. When she passed and her son took over, that's when thoughts of taking the Castle entered my mind. Satisfied?"
"Yes."
"Good," he said and waved to Professor Pinfeathers who rustled his wings, "Years started to fade and blend in to one another until I noticed someone leaving flowers on Rowena's grave. I knew all of her family had long since passed. So I became curious as to who it could be. One night I waited and met Discordia Scales..."

Lord Chamberlain's voice faded and for the seconded time today I was whisked into the past. I knew what to expect this time as I watched everything fade.

Continued...

In reply toRe: msg 35
Rahia13

4/28/18

I blinked my eyes and looked at the woman before me. She was short, with long raven hair and wisdom laden eyes of coal. She wasn't beautiful, not really but there was something about her that commanded attention. I realized her face was the face carved into the Tomb in the City Cemetery. She glared at me the more I stared.

"Lethe, what has gotten into you. I told you what to do now go do it," she demanded. I felt the disdain rise in the maidservants mind and knew that she hated her mistress. I ran out of the door and made my way to the market to buy the flowers she requested. Upon my return she rearranged them and we set out for the Crypt, "He will be mine, you know Lethe."

I knew she was talking of the Lord Chamberlain and I also knew we were all doomed. When we arrived at the Crypt it was dusk and the Lord Chamberlain was there waiting. I hid myself behind the tree and waited for my mistress. She preferred us out sight when she was formulating a plan. They chatted for a while and I watched as relaxed enough to lean his cane upon a wall. This was the moment I was hiding for. I quickly went to do my job of coating the cane in Bemusing Potion. It would help my mistress in getting what she wanted! I ducked out of sight and continued to watch. I didn't like my mistress much but I owed her my life. These thoughts were racing racing through the mind of the body I inhabited. Well, if she had saved the poor girl, she couldn't be all bad.

It took three months for Discordia Scales, a most powerful witch to bring the Lord Chamberlain under her control. He even started bring her Blood Lotuses and Mandrake Roots, all for her spells. She had bewitched him. The bells rang from the Chapel as they married and people in the town were gossiping a plenty. I knew the truth, I knew. She was pregnant and he had all but forgotten his precious Rowena. There were weeds growing around her Crypt and the flowers had long since lost their bloom. His soul focus was Discordia and what she wanted.

Continued...