Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How to transfer game to new pc.   Technical Issues

Started 1/3/20 by SamDee632; 8700 views.
Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

3/11/20

YAAAYY!!!  WOOHOO!!! CONGRATS!!! thumbsupclaptada

And please remember to make regular backups of your Castle progress so when, not if, the game goes wonky.

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

datsalotta

3/13/20

Dhayni - THAT IS AN AWESOME POST. I had been pondering backing up my game but was not aware of the best way to do that. THANK YOU and I will be doing what you say very soon. Luv, datsalotta.

GrannyBee

3/13/20

Hi, Dhyani - question from a non-techie here - I now have two castles - will this procedure capture the data for both of them or does it need to be done separately, in each "User"?

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

3/13/20

While I DON'T recommend accessing your 2nd Castle's progress from your Main User Admin Account, it IS possible.  And since I don't recommend it, I'm not going divulge the method :)

Easy enough to Switch Users, and make the backup.  Please Rename the backup adding the Castle Name and Date to the backup so you can differentiate between your two Castles and the dates you made the backups. 

I usually keep only the last TWO backups of each Castle (deleting the older ones.)  And I have a folder on each of my 13 Desktops (named for its respective Castle) to house backups as well.  That way, in case one is wonky, there is an alternate source for a good backup.

If you're making the backup(s) to a Flash Drive or other external media, an Icon for that media should be visible on EACH User's Desktops . . . if the external media is plugged in, that is :) 

If it isn't visible (and assuming you're running Win 10) you can go to This PC, Devices and Drives, see the external media.  Right-click on it and make a Shortcut to the Desktop.

Does that make sense???

XXOO ~ Dhyani boom

GrannyBee

3/14/20

Thanks so much, Dhyani!

For some reason I was having trouble finding the Roaming file from my other User but I've miraculously been able to do it now and am all set.

Thanks for always being so patient and helpful! :)

b

Susanna502MC

6/9/20

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Got a new pc and successfully transferred a game from my laptop to the new pc. Everything is there - level, friends, inventory, etc. Same ID. I am totally blown away. My laptop is a 15" screen. I got a 24" monitor to go with the new pc drive. I won't have to worry about getting new glasses right away. Now I need to see if I can transfer my other pc game also.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

6/13/20

WELL DONE ~ WOOHOO!!!! thumbsupclaptada

I assume you are wanting to transfer another MC Game (progress) to this new PC, right??

So Create a New User Account (I would name that User Account the same name as the Castle that will 'live' on it.)  This will help if you lose your mind and create several MC Games on the same device.  I have 8 on one Laptop and 5 on another Laptop.  Yes, I am ABOLUTELY INSANE!!!

Copy the Elephant Games folder from the old Computer, add a suffix (Castle Name and Date) to the EG folder and paste it to a Flash Drive.  DO NOT DELETE THE EG FOLDER FROM THE OLD COMPUTER JUST YET (in case you have to repeat the process)

Plug the Flash Drive into the new device, open that New User Account you created. 

Go to AppData\Roaming

REMOVE the existing Elephant Games folder (I usually put it i the Trash but don't Empty the Trash yet)

Open the Flash Drive, Copy the 'progress' Elephant Games folder with the suffix)

Paste it into AppData\Roaming.

YOU MUST EDIT OUT THE SUFFIX AT THIS POINT, otherwise the MC 'Shell' won't recognize it if it is Titled anything other than Elephant Games and will create a NEW GAME with a NEW ID.  If that happens, you can Trash that new Elephant Games folder and repeat the transfer from the Flash Drive, so don't freak out.

Close AppData\Roaming

Launch Game Manager, and PLAY MC.

Your 2nd Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact.

Oh, and if you want to make a Shortcut to the Roaming folder to make future progress backups muuuuuch easier, open AppData again and Right Click on the Roaming folder and Send to/Create a Shortcut on the Desktop (or words like that) in the popout menu when you Right Click on the Roaming folder. 

Each User Account has it's own AppData\Roaming folder (and the contents therein) i.e. the Elephant Games 'progress' folder) so create the Roaming Desktop Shortcut when you are in that User. Switch Accounts to create the Roaming Desktop Shortcut for the other MC game that lives on the other User Account.

Does this make sense???

XXOOXXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Susanna502MC

6/13/20

I had no problem with the second game and was able to transfer the Roaming folder. Also 100% inventory, friends, level, etc. I just had to remember to change the view so I could see the hidden folders before I could get the AppData. Thank you for providing the instructions.

THEdella

9/2/20

If you are one of the moderators on this site, is there a way a person could type into the "search bar" for just "lost game" to make it easier for newbies to find this info about restoring their "lost game"?  I was just lucky that I had printed out your instructions one time in a "just in case" thingy and put it on my corkboard in my home office, when lo, and behold, my puter went south.  I bought a new puter, re-installed MC and got new ID.  Then, I remembered your post that I had printed.  So, I grabbed a thumb drive, put it in the bad puter, navigated to the MC folder and was able to copy those files.  Put that thumb drive into the new puter, copied them, and wow!  It overwrote my new game ID with the original game ID.  Had my old game back, same old ID, friends, inventory, EVERYTHING!  You are my  HERO!

While you can bookmark (the icon to the left of the Reply button) any post that you would like to save, I think it would be a good idea for these instructions to be more accessible for all to read.  I included Jenifer (the woman who started this forum) in my response to this post since she would be the one who would be able to do this.  Thanks for the idea.