Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 139235 views.
mamarose1900

5/12/18

I love reading, also. I could not even begin to list the authors I like. There are way too many, including many on all of your lists.

But, some favorites I'd like to share: J. D. Robb. (Nora Roberts pen name for her sci fi police procedural romance. Yeah, those are all the genres they fit into.) If you like cozy mysteries, Ellery Adams is both prolific and an awesome writer. 

I love Carole Nelson Douglas, especially her Midnight Louie cat mystery series, which she finished a little while ago. I have a few more to acquire, then I'm reading them from beginning to end. She did an amazing thing in that she did the alphabet and each book is an individual story, but there's also an overarching story that starts in the first book and doesn't end until the last one. G. R. R. Martin could learn a lot from her about holding onto the thread of a long story arc. 

I  forgot I wanted to mention BookBub ( https://www.bookbub.com/welcome )  You can get free or really cheap ebooks from them. I've found a lot of books I'm glad I didn't pay for. But I've also found some favorite new authors. 

I could go on about books all day, but I won't. relaxed

Have fun stormin' the castle! relaxed

LvlSlgr

5/12/18

Bookbub is great! I just have to be careful and not buy too many. Right now I have 72 books waiting to be read on my Kindle.  Seems like every time I finish a few and seem to making headway, I find something on Bookbub and buy it. Of course, I also have over 50 on my Bookbub "Wanted" list that I'm watching to be on sale.

kat (vabreeze)

5/12/18

At the moment I am reading Ken Follett's "Turn of the Century" trilogy.

I have four Goodwills near me.  Paperbacks are $1.00, Hardbacks $3.00 and Children/Young Adult are 50 cent. 

So I have been spending 50 cents for hardback Harry Potter books. 

But I generally keep books I grew up with and re-read them over and over.  (Baum, Dickens, Lewis Carroll, C S Lewis, Tolkien, Heinlein, McCaffrey and Agatha Christie)

And history books.

Looks like I will  have to get a kindle, I moved states with 22 IKEA bookcases with extra shelves, built a special room for them, have many more books packed in plastic storage crates in the shed.  Must go through and see what I really want to keep and start listing them on ebay.  My son says since I couldn't train to be a librarian, I bought my own library.

At least with a kindle, the storage problem would be solved.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

5/13/18

I think every true reader wants there own library. I have the room and the books, I just need someone to come build me some shelves.

Have you ever read Alberto Manguel's A Reader's Diary? I could relate to everything he wrote in that book. When he talks about happily spending days arranging and re-arranging books on shelves, I get it. 

Di (amina046)

5/13/18

Finished a book I enjoyed: the uncommon reader

very entertaining notion

Di (amina046)

5/13/18

I love spy stories, len Deighton, Grisham, John LeCarré etc.

Di (amina046)

5/13/18

Try An American abroad

pclark200

5/13/18

Love all of the books suggestions! I was lucky enough to spend most of my life in the book business, and thought it was amazing that I got paid to play with books all day! I can read and enjoy just about any genre, but have a special fondness for a good mystery. A friend turned me on to Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum novels and they have me literally laughing out loud!

LvlSlgr

5/13/18

Di (amina046) said:

Try An American abroad

Do you know the author?