Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 150156 views.
LvlSlgr

Oct-5

Thanks, Jenny MC. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the streaming services except for Amazon Prime and I refuse to pay for more than one. I used to have Netflix but every time I looked for a movie it wasn't streaming. I needed to upgrade my subscription to receive the CD and I didn't want to do that. I finally discontinued the Netflix subscription and started the Amazon Prime subscription because I get other things with that even if I can't find a movie to watch.

Hey, I use Tubi and Pluto TV all the time with no problem at all. They offer a ton of movies and they are FREE! Also free is Peacock (the NBC people), and at Christmastime Hulu offers a subscription rate of $1.99/month for a year, so I have done that for a couple of years. Among those 4, I have more to watch than I have time for.

Do not worry about Tubi or Pluto being safe ---- you can check for yourself, but everywhere I have looked it says they are both perfectly fine and safe. Tubi is the better of the 2 if you want to just try one of them out.

LvlSlgr

Oct-5

Thanks! I'll check into those. I bookmarked your post because I'm sure I'll have to go back to it later. wink

Well, I hope you like the free ones ---- i was leery at first, but now I can't imagine not having them to look for movies that are out of the main stream. Tubi especially.

So, give them a test run! relaxed

LvlSlgr

Oct-6

I want this bag! It also comes in T-shirts, hoodies, etc.

marbur220

Oct-21

When you run out of non-fiction on your list, consider adding these:

Man’s Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl. Written in 1946, it’s fairly short but not necessarily an easy read.  He has written several others in the ensuing years.  Your library should have it.

Make Your Bed: Little Things that Can Change Your Life and Maybe the World - Admiral William H. McRaven  This  was his address to a Navy SEAL graduation class.

Basically I read anything that’s printed…Chet & Bernie books are adorable and light mystery - told from the point of view of Chet, the dog.  Was not particularly enamored with the National Parks mystery series by Nevada Barr.  Have just started the Sue Grafton series - my best friend and I trade books all the time as we are both so old-fashioned that we like turning pages with our grubby paws.  We both haunt the local thrift shops as the books are really cheap and we’re giving a little back by purchasing from them.

If the old Arthurian legend is of any interest to you, I highly recommend The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmerman Bradley.  She wrote several fantasy/fiction novels prior to her untimely demise.

Not scared by witches?  Read The Witching Hour by Anne Rice…set in New Orleans.  I couldn’t read most of her other books as I am not a fan of vampires.

Have a wonderful read!  I should read more - only about 1/week -currently slogging through The Count of Monte Cristo  - but I tend to go down the rabbit hole with MC…

LvlSlgr

Oct-21

Hi marbur200!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have "Make Your Bed" on my list to read, but not the other one.

I really hope you enjoy the "alphabet" series of books by Sue Grafton. I first started reading her book in 1994 when I learned Grafton was from my hometown Louisville, KY. I don't recall which one I read first - I know it was "A" - but then quickly decided I needed to start at the beginning. Her main character Kinsey Millhone came to feel like an old friend and I always looked forward to reading the latest novel by Grafton. I was really saddened when I learned of her death a few years ago.

I've never read anything by Anne Rice. Not a vampire fan here either. LOL

Tuesday I finished "Into the Water" which is the second novel by Paula Hawkins who had the best-seller "The Girl on the Train" about 5 years ago. So yesterday I started "Long Road to Mercy" by David Baldacci. I've had that one for about 3 years and decided it was past time to read it. When I'm done with that one it's time for non-fiction and I think I'm going to tackle "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris. It's the second in a series of three about Theodore Roosevelt written by Morris. I read the first one "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" about 4 or 5 years ago. At the time I read it I thought it was going to cover the entire life of Roosevelt. Especially since it was over 900 pages. I was really surprised to learn that it only took the reader up to the day that President McKinley died and Vice President Teddy Roosevelt then became President. The second book covers Roosevelt's two terms as President and not quite as long. Only 768 pages ... LOL.

You've probably heard my story of how I started using a Kindle. A friend gave it to me as a birthday gift in 2011 and I only tried it because he also included a $50 Amazon gift certificate. I was hooked because I could make the font larger and not strain my eyes. Believe me, I never thought I'd give up holding a book in my hands. But this just works so much better for me and I read a lot more than I was before when straining my eyes.

Again, thanks for the suggestions ... and keep reading! Especially now while we're having the problem with MC. LOL

• Edited November 18, 2021 6:59 pm  by  LvlSlgr
pclark200

Oct-22

Just finished reading a wonderful non-fiction book, Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder (one of my favorite non-fiction authors). It is about how one man can make a difference, and how this man, Dr. Farmer, tackled some of the healthcare issues in Haiti. Gives a good look into how Haiti got to the point it is at, and gives perspective on the issues currently.

In reply toRe: msg 607
CzoeMC

Oct-23

I have found Richard Parks series about Yamada Monogatari, an early Japanese warrior against the dark, ghosts, and such, most entertaining. To Break the Demon Gate is a first one, but not really the first of the three. It serves more as an adjunct to the trilogy.