Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 149114 views.
LvlSlgr

Oct-21

Hi marbur200!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have "Make Your Bed" on my list to read, but not the other one.

I really hope you enjoy the "alphabet" series of books by Sue Grafton. I first started reading her book in 1994 when I learned Grafton was from my hometown Louisville, KY. I don't recall which one I read first - I know it was "A" - but then quickly decided I needed to start at the beginning. Her main character Kinsey Millhone came to feel like an old friend and I always looked forward to reading the latest novel by Grafton. I was really saddened when I learned of her death a few years ago.

I've never read anything by Anne Rice. Not a vampire fan here either. LOL

Tuesday I finished "Into the Water" which is the second novel by Paula Hawkins who had the best-seller "The Girl on the Train" about 5 years ago. So yesterday I started "Long Road to Mercy" by David Baldacci. I've had that one for about 3 years and decided it was past time to read it. When I'm done with that one it's time for non-fiction and I think I'm going to tackle "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris. It's the second in a series of three about Theodore Roosevelt written by Morris. I read the first one "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" about 4 or 5 years ago. At the time I read it I thought it was going to cover the entire life of Roosevelt. Especially since it was over 900 pages. I was really surprised to learn that it only took the reader up to the day that President McKinley died and Vice President Teddy Roosevelt then became President. The second book covers Roosevelt's two terms as President and not quite as long. Only 768 pages ... LOL.

You've probably heard my story of how I started using a Kindle. A friend gave it to me as a birthday gift in 2011 and I only tried it because he also included a $50 Amazon gift certificate. I was hooked because I could make the font larger and not strain my eyes. Believe me, I never thought I'd give up holding a book in my hands. But this just works so much better for me and I read a lot more than I was before when straining my eyes.

Again, thanks for the suggestions ... and keep reading! Especially now while we're having the problem with MC. LOL

• Edited November 18, 2021 6:59 pm  by  LvlSlgr
pclark200

Oct-22

Just finished reading a wonderful non-fiction book, Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder (one of my favorite non-fiction authors). It is about how one man can make a difference, and how this man, Dr. Farmer, tackled some of the healthcare issues in Haiti. Gives a good look into how Haiti got to the point it is at, and gives perspective on the issues currently.

In reply toRe: msg 607
CzoeMC

Oct-23

I have found Richard Parks series about Yamada Monogatari, an early Japanese warrior against the dark, ghosts, and such, most entertaining. To Break the Demon Gate is a first one, but not really the first of the three. It serves more as an adjunct to the trilogy.

In reply toRe: msg 608
LvlSlgr

Nov-18

It's been 4 weeks since my last post.

I finished "Long Road to Mercy" by David Baldacci. It's the first book in a series with FBI agent Atlee Pine whose twin sister Mercy was taken by someone when they were 6 years old. The first book doesn't really deal much with that but still had good story. Baldacci's latest book (4th) in the series "Mercy" was just released and deals more with Pine's personal life. I need to read the 2nd and 3rd books first.

I started reading "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris on Oct. 7. Even though I enjoy reading that kind of book they are always slow reading for me. Maybe 20 pages a day which makes for a long read when the book is around 700 pages. It took me a little over a month to get through Roosevelt's first term as President and I stopped there - page 374. Time for a break!

In the past week I've read two novels - both mysteries. The first was "Blindsighted" by Karin Slaughter. (Thanks again to the person in this thread who suggested that I check her out). A very good book and the first in Slaughter's Grant County series. I really liked the protagonist Dr. Sara Linton and look forward to reading more in this series. The second book I read and just finished last night was "A Killer's Wife" by Victor Methos. This was one of my Amazon Prime free books (from Sept. 2020). This one was very good also and had an ending I wasn't expecting. It's also the first book of a series. 

So am I ready to tackle the second term of Teddy Roosevelt? Not yet! smile I've picked another novel - "Millicent Glenn's Last Wish" which is also another Amazon Prime First Read books. Not a mystery, just a story of 3 generations of women in a family. 

One other the thing I want to mention is the "Reading Challenge" in GoodReads.com. This is the 4th year I've done that where I set a goal of a number of books to read that year. The first year 2018 I set my goal at 35 and read 51 books. In 2019 I set my goal at 40 and read 49. Last year 2020 I set the goal again at 40 and read 48. So this year I went ahead and set my goal at 48 which is 4 books each month. Right now I'm at 43 books with 6 weeks left in the year. I'm sure I'll meet that goal, but there's something I noticed I've been doing. Because I want to make certain I reach that goal I'm not choosing longer books because I'm afraid they will take too long. I've got a lot of books I've skipped for that reason. I really hesitated starting "Theodore Rex" because I knew it was a long book and a slow-read for me, but I wanted to get started on it. As it turns out, I'm sure I could have read at least 4 novels in the time I spent on the first part of that book. So next year I'm not setting my goal quite so high. I've got a lot of long non-fiction books and some long novels I want to read. And yes, I know for some of you 48 books a year is nothing. I've seen where some read 100 or more in a year. All I can say is I spend too much time on internet to do that. smile

~J (amsavs)

Nov-21

Haha that would be me. I was lazy and didn't add any books for the last 2 months to my challenge. I did finally the other night... 20 books later.. apparently I'm up to 105 for the year. Assuming I added them all.. It doesn't seem like I've read that many. I read instead of watching movies... or doing chores. I'm watching less TV, too.

I've been trying to read more mysteries. I'm too lazy to look up my last post, so if I'm repetitive, I apologize. I had found a cozy mystery type series that's set in Leavenworth. I read the most recent one a couple weeks ago. It's still in the "meh" category for me. Still detail heavy and repetitive thoughts from the main character. The most recent book I've finished is Last Girl Ghosted. The time line jumped between "now" and "then". I'm not sure I really liked the way "now" was told. I figured out a lot, wasn't surprised by anything. But that's typical for me. I read the latest Stephanie Plum entry. I'm not fond of the crossovers with characters from other series. I hate to say it but I'm about done with this series. (My review for this book was why I finally got caught up on my challenge. ) I also read The Quiet Girl. Figured 99% of that one out too. Not sure I liked how it ended though. Trying to add all those books, it showed me just how forgettable most were. I've also been reading via the library more than kindle unlimited. 

I was looking through the recently added ebooks via the library and I'm happy to say my hold on Soul Taken by Patricia Briggs was #7! It's been awhile since I've been that high on a popular series. 

LvlSlgr

Nov-21

~J (amsavs) said:

I'm watching less TV, too.

I'm finding that sometimes I may not turn the TV on for 2 or 3 days. grin I record everything I want to watch and the DVR fills up to 100%, So then I go in and delete, delete, delete. I've also deleted some of the setups so that I don't records something that I used to watch but haven't in several months. I'm mainly watching my locals news and the nightly network news and that's about it. 

Movies? What are those? grin

I just spend too much time playing online games ... and I haven't even played Midnight Castle in almost 7 weeks now.

Di (amina046)

Nov-21

Hi, 

I am reading The Ministry of Fear by Graham Greene now and if you have not read it I bet you would enjoy it.

LvlSlgr

Nov-21

Thanks, Di. 

I looked it up and you're right it sounds like something I would like. I love reading non-fiction books about WW II. Even though this one is fiction I think I would like it also. I know I've read at least two novels in the past 6 months where the background was WW II - one took place in England and the other in America. I went ahead and added The Ministry of Fear to my Bookbub wishlist so I'll be notified when the price goes down.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Di (amina046)

Nov-21

Graham Greene is one of the most extraordinary writers!

Di (amina046)

Nov-21

He also wrote Our Man in Havana and The Quiet American, also The Heart of the Matter etc.

Travels with my aunt is wonderful and The Comedians is about Haiti and was turned into a famous film as have been other books of his.