Motorcycle Views Forum

Hosted by PoppyMoto (Walter_Kern)|motorcycleviews.com

The Motorcycle Views Forum is a gathering place for motorcyclists riding all brands of motorcycles. Our knowledgeable and experienced members are always ready to assist newcomers to learn more about motorcycles. This forum is part of the Motorcycle Views Web site run by Walter Kern.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Motorcycle Safety   General Discussion

Started Nov-22 by Jim (JIM5627); 48 views.
Jim (JIM5627)

Nov-22

I am a 25 year member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE). ITE is an international membership association of transportation professionals who work to improve mobility and safety for all transportation system users and help build smart and livable communities. Through its products and services, ITE promotes professional development and career advancement for its members, supports and encourages education, identifies necessary research, develops technical resources including standards and recommended practices, develops public awareness programs, and serves as a conduit for the exchange of professional information.

Founded in 1930, ITE is a community of transportation professionals including, transportation engineers, transportation planners, consultants, educators, technologists, and researchers. Through meetings, seminars, publications, and a network of nearly 16,000 members working in more than 75 countries, ITE is the source for expertise, knowledge, and ideas.

That said, I have been asked to head up a committee to prepare an Informational Report on Motorcycle Safety. This could progress into guidelines and/or standards being produced for the use of traffic/transportation engineers and planners in their work guiding or instructing them in motorcycle related issues. My particular expertise is the design, maintenance and timing of traffic signals and street lighting. But I ride a motorcycle (BMW K1600GTL) and have taken long, multi-day trips. These trips have given me some insight into what is being done across the US regarding all vehicles but especially motorcycles. I have the following topics and questions for which you might have answers or suggestions:

What would “motorcycle friendly” streets and highways look like?
o What are the things that make motorcycle riding experience less safe or more complicated to the user?
o Are there aspects of street design that should address motorcyclist needs?
o Are there elements of road design that are safer for passenger cars and trucks but less safe for motorcyclists? Rumble strips? Anything?
o If a street were a “complete street” (a street designed and built for all users) – what aspect(s) would be needed to address the motorcycle road user?
o If angle collisions out of driveways, are the lights on motorcycles adequate given we have LEDs today?
o What would be the top ten things that could make serious injury and fatality rates increase? Or decrease?

I will be looking for recent statistics for collisions involving serious and/or fatalities for motorcyclists and how this compares to other vehicle collisions. I will also be looking into variations between states and rules for each state:
o Licensing of drivers – same are cars and trucks or different
o Driver training – optional, required
o Insurance requirements
o Attire – helmets, safety clothing (ATGATT?)
o Driving rules – lane splitting, parking, anything….

If you have any comments or suggestions for any of this or other thoughts, please reply to this thread or my email address jtharrisassoc@earthlink.net. Your first email will be blocked but I will unblock it.

Thank you for any help you can provide. I will give credit to this forum for anything received.

Scottski

Nov-28

Jim,

Welcome to the forum! We don't have as much traffic as we did in early days, but everyone here is a motorcycle enthusiast.

I'm going to need to take a while to gather my thoughts before I try to answer any of your questions. That said, I have nothing to do lately except think ( and veg out watching the boob tube ) so it might do me good to have to think about riding and apply my experiences to your survey. I will post again when I have something worthwhile to offer.

Scott