Motorcycle Views Forum

Hosted by PoppyMoto (Walter_Kern)|motorcycleviews.com

The Motorcycle Views Forum is a gathering place for motorcyclists riding all brands of motorcycles. Our knowledgeable and experienced members are always ready to assist newcomers to learn more about motorcycles. This forum is part of the Motorcycle Views Web site run by Walter Kern.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can-Am Spyder   General Discussion

Started by PHIPSD; 4108 views.
PHIPSD

5/10/08

I actually saw a Spyder on the road the other day. The pictures don't do it justice. It's very low and with the rider looks way cool. I'll bet it would be a blast to ride.

If I had to give up on two wheels, I think that would be a great way to go or if it suddenly starts raining money from heaven<G>. It makes much more sense to me that traditional trikes.

What do you all think?

dave

In reply toRe: msg 1
Scottski

5/10/08

I saw one yesterday at the dealership... a kewl looking litle vehicle to be sure. This one has a manual 6-speed tranny rather than the CVT automatic. $17,999 is a bit much at first glance, but then again look at what a Goldwing or BMW K1200LT costs these days.

The storage area is small, but big enough to hold a couple of FF lids ( or groceries for a couple of days ). The access to the fuel filler is under the seat, which strikes me as a bit awkward, but the seat flips up easily so maybe it isn't a big deal. I did not get a chance to ride it ( sigh)... and probably won't because I think they took a deposit on it while I was there. I think they will have more of them on a one-at-a-time basis ( unless they sell well, in which case there will be a dozen of them lined up in front of the store). Wayne tends to be very tentative or go "Whole Hog" on new products <BG>.

All in all it seemed to be a neat little machine.

PoppyMoto (Walter_Kern)
Host

Here's an article from a newspaper:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080510/BUSINESS/805100407

To me the Spyder looks too much like a snowmobile on wheels. I much prefer the look of traditional trikes that fit right in with regular motorcycles anywhere and look like motorcycles, at least from the front and as you sit on the seat.

We may be on the verge of getting an impulse in motorcycle sales as the price of gas increases. Unfortunately, we will also get a lot of additional riders with little experience who will make life more dangerous for us and the motoring public. We will be getting a variety of new vehicles that have motorcycle status. We could see many more scooters on the road. Perhaps my article, Borrow a Bike, may start to come true after all.

Walt

klx678 (markk53)

5/10/08

>>It makes much more sense to me that traditional trikes.

What do you all think?<<

If you're a bit of an aggressive rider it is far better than the traditional trikes. They corner like a real sportscar. They have suspension like an open wheel racer, so it makes sense they would, but the main reason over the traditional single front is stability. Since the cornering forces are mainly on the front and there is no ability for the machine to lean like a single track, the wide track twin front wheels provide extremely stable handling.

The only real risk is if the trike should spin out or if the rider tries to spin it around, then forces may concentrate toward the single track rear and it can roll. That was noted back in the mid 80s when one of the bike magazines tested similar design machines called Badsey Bullets. Badsey did an FJ1200 and a Vision 550 with the twin independent suspension front wheel set. The reviewers said it tracked like it was glued to the road. The only warning was about spinning it around - they learned this when they tried to spin it at the end of a drag strip test. It is a no no.

I'd love to have one if it weren't for the cost. I'd like one with around a 500 motor to ride as a commuter vehicle. Even those trike scooters look interesting for my use. I see them as an extremely efficient commuter vehicle I could use. The cost is just out of sight for that. If I had the equipment I'd do an ATV up like that, swapping out the twin rear solid axle for a single rear, then register it as a home built trike. Gets out of the seat belt law and maybe a few other issues. Maybe even cut the front off an ATV and graft it to a bike frame. I don't know, it might happen...

PHIPSD

5/10/08

Scott: I thought so too. It would be different than a bike, but I'll bet it would be a real blast in the twisties. Also I could see a real use for such a machine for commuting. Cars are so boring<G>.

dave

PHIPSD

5/10/08

Oh my.....what have I done????? LOL I have hatched a monster!!!!! Just what you need, another project huh Mark.

dave

PHIPSD

5/10/08

As I'm sure you are aware; there was quite a history of three wheelers in Britain due to licencing regs. Many were strictly for utility, of the kind that Benny Hill liked to tip over but some like the Morgan trike were quite a sporting proposition.

They were however, three wheeled cars. The spyder looks to me like a three wheeled bike and with the very low CG, wide track and serious rubber. I think it would be bigtime fun as long as the rider didn't get crazy stupid.

With a 1000cc Rotex motor; it sounds good too.

dave

PHIPSD

5/10/08

There is no doubt about it Walt your trike is a thing of beauty. In the USof A with all your Interstates, it would make perfect sense to me too.

But if I was going to do Hwy 21 through the mountains to Boise in Idaho, or the Beartooth pass; something like the Spyder would be my weapon of choice. If I was on the Spyder, I would be having too much fun to care overmuch about unusual style.<G>

Besides, in the flesh it actually looks cool, but then again what do I know, I actually like V-stroms. LOL

dave

wpacoast

5/11/08

Piaggio MP3 Rode one; super cool; It leans .

Spyder. Not as cool. It doesn't lean

PHIPSD

5/11/08

It is my understanding that the MP3 now comes in 400 and 500cc sizes as well as the 250. The 400 is supposed to be the hot setup; almost as fast as the 500, but much lighter and more agile.

To me the MP3 says fun and functional transport. With it's high power 1000 cc Rotex engine and high cornering limits, I think the spyder is more of a squidly device. that said, I agree with you, I would miss the leaning in the corners as well.

dave