Enjoy Delphi Forums ad free!Click here.
Guns — Use & Safety -  Gifts of firearms and shooting goodies (5122 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host12/22/09 10:21 AM 
To: All  (5 of 73) 
 104.5 in reply to 104.4 

A good suggestion was made on the radio show episode shown below:

Whatever gift you buy, if it will fit, put in into an ammo can rather than a regular box.

Ammo cans and other goodies can be found at military surplus stores.

______

Gun Nuts: The Next Generation is a pro-gun, political radio show hosted by Caleb from Gun Nuts Media and various guest hosts. Each week, we'll discuss issues important to the shooting community, from politics to new guns and gear.

Gun Nuts Radio: CHRISTMAS
Original Air Date: 12/15/2009 9:00 PM
Man, I love Christmas
(gift ideas start about 35 minutes into the show)

________

My Letter to Santa
by  Randy Plante
12/22/2009

Dear Santa,

How are you and Mrs. Claus?  Everything going well at the North Pole? Thanks for the socks and underwear you gave me last year. I have been really good this year.  Hopefully you can check that on your list. There have been some politicians that have been bad, will you be giving them chunks of coal?

For Christmas, would you please get me some guns? I bought a new gun cabinet this summer and was hoping to fill it up. Plus, we have had our Constitutional rights threatened by Congress and liberal judges concerning gun ownership here in the U.S. and it is probably best for me to get as many as I can right now. There are so many different kinds of guns to choose from so I will be very specific. I am sure you are getting many requests for guns and the Elves are extra busy.

For a handgun I would like the .45 caliber Colt 1918 WW I replica. Anybody that wants an automatic pistol and appreciates the military culture has to have the legendary model 1911 style in the house. I grew up watching all the military movies and John Wayne is my hero. More recently, a wounded Tom Hanks is seen firing his .45 at an oncoming German tank in the movie “Saving Private Ryan”. While serving in the Air Force, we only had old .38 Smith & Wesson revolvers. The .45 packs a much bigger punch and fires more rounds.

My choice for a rifle is the lever action, .30-30 Winchester Model 94. Western movies were my second favorite to watch. I can’t forget the image of a cowboy riding his horse across the valley with a Winchester rifle holstered to the saddle. There were always awesome outdoor scenes of mountains, rivers and prairies. Of course another influence on my selection is Chuck Connors, the tough actor in the TV show “The Rifleman”. He was not only an expert shot with his rifle, but was also a great role model for his son.  

I especially need a new shotgun for Christmas. I have started shooting outdoor trap this year but have to rent one at the range. The rental is an old Browning over/under which has rarely been cleaned and missing a front site. I'm sure it's the rental gun causing me to miss so many clays. The shotgun I want is the 12 gauge Beretta 686 White Onyx with a 28 inch barrel. Having been around guns for years, there really isn’t anything much better than looking cool with an opened over/under shotgun hanging over my shoulder.

Alright Santa, I have one more request from you. How about some stocking stuffers? Ammunition for my guns would be an added treat. .38, .357, .380, .45, .223, heck, boxes of anything would be nice and fit perfectly in a stocking. Having a hard time around here finding ammo — the stores keep selling out.

Thanks in advance for your special gifts this year. I hope you and everyone at the North Pole have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

So readers — what gun do you want from Santa and why?

Ed's comment:

I just bought myself a Hi Point 9mm pistol and 9mm carbine. These less expensive guns will allow me to purchase much less expensive ammunition for training. Becoming too proficient is something you strive for but never achieve — hopefully I will be much better by next Christmas.

Reply   Options 

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host12/22/09 11:18 PM 
To: All  (6 of 73) 
 104.6 in reply to 104.5 

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me — a gun!
by Mike Stollenwerk
DC Gun Rights xaminer
12 Dec 2009

Now that most Americans are deep into the post Cyber Monday milieu of trying to figure out what presents to buy for whom by Christmas day, perhaps it's time for more of us to consider the gift that keeps on giving — the gift of self-defense! A gun.

Imagine the surprise and joy when your loved one finds her new concealable handgun as a stocking stuffer. Or the wonder when a child opens up that long box containing her first rifle. That would be a Christmas that will never be forgotten.

Firearm gifts have a proud heritage in America, which, though waning in this era of political correctness, remain legal and more common that many might think. Unfortunately, the anti-gun rights lobby continues its propaganda drumbeat against the tradition of firearm gifts by trying to pound into everyone's heads that there is a "loophole" at gun shows that enables people to obtain guns without paperwork and background checks.

So consider guns this year for the folks on your Christmas list, and maybe even for that "Secret Santa" party at the office.
;-)

The fact is that there is no loophole! There is not a single state which has less restrictive gun transfer laws at gun shows than venues outside the show's premises.

In most states, the rule for gun shows is exactly the same as it is on the street, at the yard sale, on the Internet, and under the Christmas tree: Unless a federally licensed gun dealer is transferring the gun, no background check or paperwork is required for transfers between residents of the same state.

As the map below illustrates, America remains a sea of gun transfer freedom pockmarked by only a few islands of state restrictions on the right to privately transfer guns:

By private transfer, we mean without use of dealers, paperwork, or background checks — California is one of only 3 states requiring all transfers to go thru dealers. In the vast majority of states, you can legally stand on the street corner and occasionally sell guns from your gun collection.

• Edited 12/25/2010 9:16 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/3/10 3:45 PM 
To: All  (7 of 73) 
 104.7 in reply to 104.6 

Gift suggestions — not already mentioned — from Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio of 20 Dec 09:

Sun, 20 December 2009
Guntalk 2009-12-20 Part B
Hour Two - Open Lines
Direct download: 091220guntalkB.mp3

• Edited 11/26/2010 8:08 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/6/10 11:03 AM 
To: All  (8 of 73) 
 104.8 in reply to 104.7 

Get your Gun Gear For the Holidays
PS Products, Our Sponsor

Today’s society is getting more and more dangerous. You can no longer assume you will be safe at home or school as you once were. A crime in the United States occurs every 15 seconds and forcible rape happens once every 5 minutes. You are here to protect yourself and not be a victim.

From stun guns to pepper spray, we have the best non lethal personal security items available on the market today. Look around and let us know any questions that you have....

_________

Related discussions:

Should I buy a gun? 

Buying a used long gun

How to buy a used handgun

_________

Also see discussions in the Interesting Stuff folder for more gift ideas.

• Edited 12/25/2010 9:02 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/12/10 5:44 PM 
To: All  (9 of 73) 
 104.9 in reply to 104.8 

Caldwell Ultimate Target Stand with Oversized Backer

Manufacturer: Caldwell Shooting Supplies — $30
Please visit a Caldwell dealer near you.

The durable all-weather design and user-friendly features truly make this new target stand The Ultimate Target Stand. The stand features an oversized backer to hold multiple large targets (two 15" targets side by side) and is constructed of an all-weather moisture resistant material. The large size makes sighting in easy, no more bullets missing the target. The modular frame design collapses to occupy much less space during transport & storage. The frame arms are constructed of durable steel rod and hold the backer securely in place. Removable ground stabilizer adds support from wind during use and conveniently stows onto the feet. The base of the stand is open, allowing you to use your foot to drive the molded-in metal spikes solidly into the ground. It even has an integrated storage container for holding miscellaneous range supplies such as staples or target pasters.

Oversized backer
Holds two 15"x15" targets side by side
All weather, moisture resistant construction
Durable steel rod frame arms
Collapsible, modular frame
Removable ground stabilizer
Integrated storage container
Great for sighting in or patterning

Buy two and set up a target board:

Review:

If you have soft ground it works fine, but to much pressure when you push it into the ground will break the plastic. High winds will blow the backer board off if you don't fasten it to the metal holders. I put my foot on the bottom rail to push into the ground and it shattered. I have since screwed the rest of it onto a saw horse and it seems to work now. Cheaply made soft plastic.

________

Shopping results for ultimate target stand

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/21/10 1:04 PM 
To: All  (10 of 73) 
 104.10 in reply to 104.9 

Gun Stuff

Handgun (The Basics) — $29.95 with free shipping

Here is the most comprehensive DVD on handgun safety and shooting. Created by internationally recognized firearms and self defense instructor, Brian K. LaMaster, President of Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC, this video provides more in-depth detail on basic handgun handling than any other video to date.

Innovative Tactical Concepts has shipped DVD's around the world, including to our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

• Fundamental gun safety rules
  • Proper gun etiquette
  • Malfunction clearing procedures
  • Cartridge malfunctions
  • Understanding the types of revolvers and semi-automatics and their parts
  • How to properly load and unload your gun
  • The 6 key elements to marksmanship
  • Two-handed and one-handed shooting stances
  • Identifying the main causes of accidents
  • How to store your guns and ammo
  • And much more

This video is perfect for learning basic handgun technique or refreshing your skills. It makes a great gift too.

See the Books & References folder for more gift ideas of books, videos, and DVDs.

• Edited 12/3/2010 9:12 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/26/10 8:28 PM 
To: All  (11 of 73) 
 104.11 in reply to 104.10 

As recommended in the 1 Dec 10 issue of The New Gun Week, Lansky has a variety of good and inexpensive knife sharpeners for the outdoor user.

[edited to add — I found a sharpener similar to this at a gun store and bought it but it also has a scissors sharpening feature and cost less]

The deluxe version of Lansky’s super fast tungsten carbide sharpener features a roomy, overmolded rubber non-slip grip for maximum comfort and control, safety thumb rest and a lanyard hole for easy attachment to a belt or backpack.
$8.99 plus shipping

This pocket-size Lansky Dual-Grit, Multi-Purpose Sharpener is ideal for sharpening lawn mower blades, machetes, hatchets, axe blades, shovels and spades plus a variety of other cutting and chopping tools. The Puck’s easy to grip contoured shape, provides for safe, simple tool sharpening. Dual-Grit design provides a coarse side for quick cutting and shaping, and a medium side for final sharpening and finishing of your edge.
$7.99 plus shipping

Also recommended as an accessory is Nathan's Natural Honing Oil, a specially formulated lubricant for use with all Lansky Sharpeners and Natural Arkansas Benchstones.
$3.49 plus shipping

• Edited 12/9/2010 8:07 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/30/10 1:14 PM 
To: All  (12 of 73) 
 104.12 in reply to 104.11 

eBay search for self defense shows a variety of items for reasonable prices, especially in the Personal Security category.

_________

Gift ideas other than firearms

Since some people already have the guns they like it might be better to get them an accessory or something other than yet another weapon.

Consider:

Crimson Trace Laser Handgrips to fit their handgun — cost $200+

Registration and expenses (usually just ammo) to take a local concealed carry training — cost about $150

Registration and expenses to a specialized shooting academy — costs vary, especially if you attend out of state. Couples or friends can attend together to both save money and have more fun.

NRA Memeberships! Join, renew, or give a membership as a gift. What a great idea for your spouse or kids. Click the link and get $10 off now!

USCCA Memberships! The United States Concealed Carry Association is a must for anyone who carries. Tons of benefits plus the best CCW magazine in America — cost $47 per year

Gun books, videos, and magazines!

See this discussion for some good titles: Firearms & Self defense references

• There are many gun books & videos to choose from and you can save on used books by shopping online.
  • Subscription to a shooting magazine  — be sure they don't already subscribe — cost between $10 and $30

Shirts, hats, and novelties are available in a wide variety online.
Gun Gifts, T-shirts, Stickers and more - CafePress

GOOGLE search for shooting gifts

Check retail sites such as:

MidwayUSA

Cabela's

CheaperThanDirt

Brownells

Walmart

• Edited 12/12/2010 12:23 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host12/9/10 8:16 PM 
To: All  (13 of 73) 
 104.13 in reply to 104.12 

Locked and Loaded:
Designed For Firearm Fans

by Diana Cook
Oct 20, 2010

The right to bear arms is certainly a contentious issue that can ignite some serious passion from those both for and against gun control. However, there is no room for debate that fans of tongue-in-cheek aesthetics will be delighted with the the kitsch factor evidenced in the following designs. We've assembled images of thirty items designed to add Dirty Harry chic to the home.

Handgun Candle
Handgun Candle Holder
Handgun Telephone
Handgun Vase
Handgun Chandelier
Machine Gun Candle Holder
Machine Gun Hatrack
AR-15 Chandelier
Gun Chairs (2)
Gun Pillows (4)
Gun Bench
Shotgun Shell Bench
Shotgun Shell Mailbox
Bedside Gun Holder
Gun Wallpaper (2)
Gun Mirror
Gun Table
Gun Lamps
(2)
Gun Mailboxes (2)
Gun Sculture
Gun Rug
Gun Egg Frying Mold
Gun Liquor Dispenser
Gun Clock
Gun Shelf

[Try internet searches to find such items]

_________

Also see this discussion:

2010 holiday specials

• Edited 12/12/2010 1:48 pm by EdGlaze

From: EdGlaze DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host12/18/10 7:28 PM 
To: All  (14 of 73) 
 104.14 in reply to 104.13 

Recommendatnos from the American Rifleman magazine.

Best Stocking Stuffers for Shooters

Having a hard time figuring out what to get the shooter in your life for Christmas? Here are AmericanRifleman.org's choices for best stocking stuffers.
[10 photos]

1. TangoDown ACR Magazines

It’s been said that the magazine makes the rifle. If that’s true then the TangoDown ACR magazines for AR-15/M16 rifles really make the gun. These two-piece polymer magazines have a straight upper section for presenting cartridges and a curved lower section for accommodating remaining ammunition, and they’re just about indestructible for $18.50.

2. Tapco INTRAFUSE Vertical Grip

Give your tactical shooter increased control over his or her rifle with the Tapco INTRAFUSE Vertical Grip. In addition to providing extra hold on the firearm, this grip mounts easily to a variety of rails and has a storage compartment that holds batteries and other essentials for $21.99.

3. Caldwell E85S Compact Electronic Hearing Blocks

Every time a gun is fired, the shooter’s hearing is damaged a little unless he or she is wearing hearing protection. Some shooters forgo hearing protection because they want to hear what is going on around them. With Caldwell’s E85S Compact Electronic Hearing Blocks, your shooter can have the best of both worlds for $29.97.

4. AR-15/M16 ASAP Sling Adapter

A sling is an important tool on a tactical rifle, but many slings attach so the rifle can only be carried in certain ways. The AR-15/M16 ASAP Sling Adapter from Brownells allows an unrestricted 180 degrees of motion, allowing easy tactical adjustments for shooting around corners or swapping sides for $29.99.

5. BLACKHAWK! CQC Pistol Belts

Every concealed-carry advocate needs a good belt to hold essential gear, such as a handgun, when out in public. In fact, multiple belts are useful to ensure proper matching with shoes and clothes. BLACKHAWK!’s CQC Pistol Belts come in a variety of styles and colors, and the reinforced spine keeps all needed equipment in place for just $29.99

6. Galco Ankle Lite

Whether used as a backup or a primary, a good ankle holster is an excellent investment, and the Galco Ankle Lite is light weight, comfortable and available for a variety of compact handguns for just $71.95.

7. CrossBreed Bedside Backup

There is no doubt that keeping a handgun close at hand can save a life, and the CrossBreed Bedside Backup keeps your gun within easy reach, and it breaks down easily for traveling for just $73.95.

8. Bushnell Backtrack Point-5

While GPS units are great tools for the outdoors, not everyone wants all the bells and whistles that come with the larger units. The Bushnell BackTrack Point-5 is compact, simple to use, provides a digital compass and stores five waypoints with longitude and latitude for getting back to the truck or back home for $89.99.

9. SureFire EL2 AA Outdoorsman

SureFire produces some of the best compact flashlights on the market, but they’ve always required specialized batteries, which are expensive and hard to find in many stores. SureFire’s EL2 AA Outdoorsman provides all of the features SureFire is known for — Total Internal Reflection lens, power-regulated LED emitter and multiple output levels — in a flashlight that runs on two AA batteries for $165.

10. ASAP Survival Bags

Whether natural or man-made, disasters require a certain amount of specialized gear for survival, such as food, water and shelter. The ASAP Survival Bags are great starter kits for building a personalized Go Bag, which can be easily carried in a car, boat or on your person, for $194.40.

Navigate this discussion: 1-4 5-14 15-24 25-34 ... 45-54 55-64 65-73
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.