Coronavirus news -  Tokyo Olympics to be without spectators (414 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-9 6:46 AM 
To: All  (1 of 21) 

https://nowthisnews.com/news/tokyo-olympics-to-be-held-without-an-audience-after-increase-in-covid-19-cases

Tokyo Olympics To Be Held Without An Audience After Increase In COVID-19 Cases

The latest development is yet another setback for the games, which have faced delays, budget issues, and new restrictions for athletes.

After being plagued with budget dilemmas and an unprecedented postponement, the 2021 Olympics will be showcased without in-person spectators as COVID-19 continues to surge in Japan.

On Thursday, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that the Tokyo games, set to take place July 23 to August 8, would go on without an in-person audience as a result of a recent spike in COVID-19 cases. The announcement came just hours after Japan declared a state of emergency, as the highly-infectious delta variant spreads across the country and the world. In the past week, Japan has reported more than 11,000 new COVID-19 cases, according to Johns Hopkins University. Only about 15% of the population is fully vaccinated against the virus, leaving a large portion of the population susceptible to severe illness.

The IOC had initially planned to allow 10,000 people, or 50% of a venue to attend the games, and banned foreign spectators altogether.

“It is regrettable that we are delivering the Games in a very limited format, facing the spread of coronavirus infections,” Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto said on Thursday. “I am sorry to those who purchased tickets and everyone in local areas.”

According to the Olympics website, ticket holders will be automatically refunded. But those who purchased tickets last year from third-party, authorized sources, have reportedly faced difficulties getting a refund.

Japan’s state of emergency will begin July 12 and continue until August 22, multiple outlets reported.

The pandemic forced a one-year postponement for the Olympics, a delay which the Olympics organizing committee revealed in December cost more than $2.8 billion. Japan originally invested $12.6 billion to host the games. Those added costs are due to contract re-negotiations and added COVID-19 safety precautions, according to the Associated Press.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 21) 
 7137.2 in reply to 7137.1 

It's better than nothing, but I do feel sorry for Japan. They spent billions on the venues and cannot earn any money on it. 

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-18 5:50 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 21) 
 7137.3 in reply to 7137.1 

I feel bad for the athletes this would affect but I think the Olympics should have been cancelled. 

To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 21) 
 7137.4 in reply to 7137.3 

YES! YES!! YES!!! CANCEL THEM!!! They're cancelled during WWI and WWII.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 6:34 AM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 21) 
 7137.5 in reply to 7137.3 

I agree.  The news reported that they will broadcast crowd noises on the PA system - that must be a motivation for the athletes.

From: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-19 7:39 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 21) 
 7137.6 in reply to 7137.5 

I really feel bad for the athletes.  They've trained for so many years and dreamed of walking into the stadium during opening ceremony with the crowd roaring and then in their events and now...piped in crowd noise.  A dream come true.  :/

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 11:04 AM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 21) 
 7137.7 in reply to 7137.3 
I agree...no 'sport' is worth the risk of spreading more covid cases.

To: All 

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 11:06 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 21) 
 7137.8 in reply to 7137.5 
They did the same for college football last year, which I thought was ridiculous.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 12:26 PM 
To: All  (9 of 21) 
 7137.9 in reply to 7137.8 

Tokyo Olympics: 2 Players Test Positive Inside The Olympic VIllage : NPR

Two Athletes Have Tested Positive For COVID-19 Inside The Olympic Village

With less than a week before the opening ceremonies begin at this year's Tokyo games, at least two players on the South African soccer team have tested positive for COVID-19 inside the Olympic Village.

The two players, Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi, are the first athletes to test positive for the coronavirus at the site of the Olympic Village in the Japanese capital. A video analyst for the team, Mario Masha, also tested positive.

All three have been isolated, along with those who were in close contact with them.

Organizers for the games did not name the athletes, but said they were "non-Japanese." Their test results were confirmed by the South African Football Association.

In a statement, the association said the team has "followed all relevant Olympic Playbook rules, protocols and procedures throughout the pre-Games and Games arrival routines."

The association also noted that the rest of the team has tested negative.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-19 12:27 PM 
To: B-17 Girl (Collinwood11) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 21) 
 7137.10 in reply to 7137.6 

I do, too.  I went to school with a figure skating pair who were in the Olympics years ago and before the competition started, one of them got an injury that forced them to bow out.  All of that work and preparation for nothing.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.