Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Occupy the Syllabus   General Confusion

Started Aug-17 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 3151 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1

Black linguistic justice’: Professors demand end to standard English as the norm - Sarah Imgrund, The College Fix, 20 August 2020
https://thecollegefix.com/black-linguistic-justice-professors-demand-end-to-standard-english-as-the-norm/

Abolish ‘White Mainstream English,’ English professors argue 

A national professional association of writing instructors recently published a list of demands that argued the current emphasis on standard English is rooted in racism and called for a complete overhaul of how language is taught.

It was published by a subcommittee with the Conference on College Composition and Communication, part of the National Council of Teachers of English.

The statement called for an end to “White Mainstream English,” arguing such an action would “decolonize” students’ minds and the English language, as well as help students “unlearn white supremacy.”

I was born and raised in Oakland, CA where the school board tried to introduce "ebonics" in the schools.

E·bon·ics
/e'bäniks/

noun

1. American black English regarded as a language in its own right rather than as a dialect of standard English.
slackerx

Aug-26

Make Dems Cry Again 2020! (bobrazz) said...

I was born and raised in Oakland, CA where the school board tried to introduce "ebonics" in the schools.

E·bon·ics
/e'bäniks/

noun

1. American black English regarded as a language in its own right rather than as a dialect of standard English.

Did it make you feel victimized?

Sometimes white folks feel victimized by things like Black culture and Black history and Black language.

African roots in Latin America: Palenque (Colombia) | Armin Schwegler | TEDxUCIrvine

This talk illustrates how linguistics and population geneticists have recently managed to reconstruct the precise African roots of descendants of African slaves that were transshipped some 400 years ago from Black Africa to Latin America. The talk focuses on Palenque (Colombia), where special African traditions and an unusual creole language have been preserved to this day.

Professor Schwegler’s research emphasizes the study of Latin America from a linguistic, social, and historical perspective. For three decades, this has led him to explore in depth the precise African origins of Hispanic communities whose roots are found in the transatlantic slave trade. Using population genetics (DNA) research to complement humanistic investigations, his work shows that “lost history” can indeed be reconstructed with precision. To that end, he has traveled widely and afar, and published several books and over 60 research articles

• Edited August 26, 2020 10:38 am  by  slackerx

Even if true, and from my researches, most of this very old theory of influences from African languages is bogus, so what?

Black people are being deprived of the ability to communicate with the wider community.  Once again they're shooting themselves in the foot.

slackerx

Aug-26

Apollonius (Theocritos) said...

Even if true, and from my researches, most of this very old theory of influences from African languages is bogus, so what?

Black people are being deprived of the ability to communicate with the wider community.  Once again they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I just don't understand why some white folks here always feel so victimized.

I suspect that it's cultural.

• Edited August 26, 2020 10:58 am  by  slackerx
slackerx

Aug-26

Make Dems Cry Again 2020! (bobrazz) said...

u make no ¢

That's because you too busy feeling sorry for yourself.

You are feeling way too oppressed and victimized to make sense of anything.

• Edited August 26, 2020 11:08 am  by  slackerx

You need a new handle:  Projection

You still make no ¢              

slackerx

Aug-26

01-Origen de la Lengua Palenquera