Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Turfway Prep   Triple Crown

Started Mar-28 by RAESFAN; 89 views.
RAESFAN

Mar-28

The Turfway final prep to the Derby, seldom gets much attention. The all weather surface provides an opportunity for turf horses to get into the gate. As I recall, some “turf” horses have done well, Animal Kingdom being the most notable to transfer his form. Did anyone from the Jeff Ruby Steaks capture anyone’s imagination?

while the winner overcame a bit of trouble at the top of the stretch, I was more impressed with Sainthood, who was forwardly placed early, dropped back, then came on late to gain an impressive place position. I don’t know anything about him, so i have to do some research to see whether he deserves a look in the Derby, or later in the three year old turf stakes races on the grass.

His prior two starts were on dirt, while good, were not exceptional. Maybe he needs to go on the lawn as his breeding indicates, or possibly he’s getting better. Pletcher wasn’t looking that great before yesterday, but he must have a pretty broad smile now.

• Edited March 28, 2021 11:08 am  by  RAESFAN