Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

is Dechambeau the future of golf?   Golf talk

Started Jul-8 by HAX (CVeratanictu); 2009 views.
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-8

Watching this guy play, he pretty much turned the course into a pitch and putt.  I think he was missing fairways constantly but because he was hitting it so far, it hardly mattered.  The guy has obviously bulked up and is a hell of a lot stronger and his swing is such that it benefits from that extra strength.

I remember naysayers crapping on the single length concept as well as the single plane swing he uses, but so far, BD seems to be the guy to watch on the weekends.

I do have to wonder how he would do with some VL wedges instead of the long single length wedges.  He might become unbeatable.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Does the PGA do drug testing?  Looks like his head has gotten larger....

Charlie6D

Jul-8

I watched him on TV Saturday and Sunday.  It was good to be able to watch live golf again.

Actually, I'm somewhat impressed with BD.  He is definitely someone who is going to play the game HIS WAY!!!  He doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of his style or method.  He applies logic (as he sees it) to the game and decides what the logical way of doing things is, and that's what he does.  I admire someone who is a logical thinker and doer, and not someone who just follows the crowd.

One small gripe I have with him is that he is a slow player.  If the PGA ever starts enforcing strict time limits, he might run into trouble with his very deliberate (slow) style of play.  Other than that one gripe, I give the guy credit for doing it his way. 

He damn sure has bulked up and swings for the fences on every drive.  There's no laying up or "keeping it in the fairway" for him.  He's a "bomb and gouge" type player.  On many of today's courses, that style works well... especially when he can AVERAGE 350+ yards off the tee.

Charlie------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom0956i

Jul-8

The only time I watched any of this tourney this past weekend, Nick Faldo was remarking about his wedges and thinks he ought to go the traditional route in them. He apparently is having a problem with distance control with them.

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jul-8

Not everybody who is big and strong hits it far, but today's players are more fit on average than in the past.      

The added strength has added length for DeChambeau, without issues, possibly due to his mechanical swing.    
A wiry guy that relies on timing, might mess up his swing by bulking up.   

I agree that he should try standard length SW's.   

He is using some Rebar iron shaft, that is said not to flex.  

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-8

Yeah...his shafts are I think Prototype one offs for him and they are called REBAR.

Can you imagine the size of your balls needed to swing a golf shaft named "rebar" ?

NineMileSkid

Jul-8

I believe the size and weight of balls are strictly defined by the ruled of golf. So I  hope the steroids don't shrink his.

One of his missed fairways was a green side bunker on a 400 yd par 4.

Faldo recommended he go to steel in his wedges for better distance control. I also think he should have a more conventional length lob wedge to provide more options around the greens.

Hopefully he hasn't been hanging out with Barry Bonds.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-8

I think that is a given about Bonds.  You don’t build 25 pounds like that in a short period of time without some chemical assistance.

Burat (DocFreddie)

Jul-9

What I want to know is: is it now a fairer fight between him and Koepka (and I don't mean golf!)?