Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 139249 views.
LvlSlgr

May-13

WeeSam (WeesamNZ) said:

I hate series that finish on a cliffhanger leaving you wanting more and having to wait years for it.

I so hate that also! Since 1995 I've been reading the series of books by Patricia Cornwell about Dr. Kay Scarpetta. I really, really liked those. So much so that back when I first started reading them - and was still working - I would realize that it was 5:30 in the morning and I'm still reading this book! A few times I called in and said I wasn't feeling well and would be in after lunch if I got better. Then at least I could get a good "nap" in before going into work.

Anyway - I got off track there - my point is that I loved those books. Each one was a story in its own entirety but there was also the ongoing story about Scarpetta. The last Scarpetta book was in 2016. I don't mean that the character died or anything; it's just that Cornwell hasn't written any more. I guess after 24 books she got tired of the character. So last year when I learned she had started a new series - Captain Chase - I was eager to start this new series. In the first book Quantum, Callie Chase is a NASA pilot, quantum physicist, and cybercrime investigator. Right up my alley. However, I was very disappointed because the book didn't wrap up the main storyline and left you hanging. Yes, the dreaded cliffhanger. That's okay with a TV series season finale, but not with my books. LOL Needless to say, I decided I wasn't going to read anymore of that series.

Speaking of getting late, I really need to get out of here because it's after 4:30 in the morning. I'm headed to bed where I'll finish my current book - The Bone Collection by Kathy Reichs. I'll worry tomorrow morning about what I'm reading after this one.

In reply toRe: msg 577
LvlSlgr

May-14

I chose "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood as my next book. I hope it's good.

On another note - I did eventually return to "Jefferson's Daughters" and finish it. It was more like reading a history book than anything else. That put me behind in my reading goal for the year. Note to self: stay away from that author. LOL

In reply toRe: msg 578
LvlSlgr

Jun-4

I was very disappointed with The Handmaid's Tale. I think I was expecting something better since there's a TV series now in it's 5th season. Although, I can honestly say I've never seen any of those shows. It's on Hulu and I don't do streaming.

So I read 2 other novels after that. And now I just started The Restless Wave - John McCain's final book. I've read other books by him and always find them interesting.

In reply toRe: msg 579
Susanna502MC

Jun-6

I'm reading Eric Flint's 1632 series at the moment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series#Series_overview

It's unusual in a number of ways:

1. Grantville, a small town in 2000 West Virginia is "somehow" transported to 1631 Germany. That is the one impossible thing you have to accept.

2. Everything prior to the appearance of Grantville is consistent with what we know of the world in 1631.

3. The appearance of Grantville changes a lot from that point on.

4. The author (Eric Flint) has collaborated with multiple other authors along the way. There are also a series of authorized "fanfic" anthologies and other online stories available. This brings a lot of different characters, story lines, and viewpoints into the series. Flint has incorporated some of these into the main books.

5. Starting from Germany, the story expands throughout Europe and beyond.

So far, I've been able to access all the books I didn't already own through Libby (the online library).

In reply toRe: msg 580
~J (amsavs)

Jun-6

So.. it's been awhile.. I'm up to 42 books this year. I actually have about 5 or so sitting in the kindle app from KU. But I'm feeling like I want a good mystery. I've tried looking but nothing is calling me. I suppose I could also reread The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike. It looks like it might be made into a movie... which I have mixed feelings about. I definitely recommend the book, but it's tough to find at a decent price. 

LvlSlgr

Jun-6

~J (amsavs) said:

I'm up to 42 books this year.

Wow! That's amazing. I'm at 20. I spend too much time on this laptop when I should be doing more reading. LOL

~J (amsavs)

Jun-7

The funny thing is, it doesn't feel like I'm reading all that much. But when I login to add books to the challenge... haha. It's been a lot of "meh" KU books. I guess that's why I'm in the mood for a good mystery! I'm actually in the middle of 2 different KU witch mystery books.. but they don't grab my attention like a JD Robb or Patricia Briggs book.

LvlSlgr

Jun-7

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by KU books? When I tried to google that I just keep finding articles about the University of Kansas bookstore.

~J (amsavs)

Jun-7

Sorry! Kindle unlimited. Speaking of.. I think I need to try to read a chapter of one of the books to keep my daily streak going. I have yet to read everyday in one month. I guess you can tell when I'm not engaged when I'm OK with reading a chapter.

LvlSlgr

Jun-7

Chapters ... I find if the book has shorter chapters then I'm more likely to read it faster. Longer chapters - I feel like I'm never going to get to the end and I'll put it down before finishing that chapter. Although with the shorter chapters I'm more likely to go ahead and another one ... and then another one.