Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 143890 views.
LvlSlgr

Jun-7

Chapters ... I find if the book has shorter chapters then I'm more likely to read it faster. Longer chapters - I feel like I'm never going to get to the end and I'll put it down before finishing that chapter. Although with the shorter chapters I'm more likely to go ahead and another one ... and then another one.

~J (amsavs)

Jun-9

I've never paid attention ... I know I like to play the "I'll go to sleep after I finish this chapter" game. I usually notice about a couple chapters later I forgot to stop.. haha. Especially if it's the type to pull you in to their world. When I'm not engaged,  I can barely make it to the end of the chapter. I also like to play "but there's only 100 pages left. " haha. Why sleep when you can finish the book!

LvlSlgr

Jun-9

I play some version of those "games" also.

• Edited June 9, 2021 7:15 pm  by  LvlSlgr
~J (amsavs)

Jun-16

I've been watching some Rizzoli & Isles reruns. I just now discovered it's based on a book series. My library actually has them... maybe that's the next read. I rarely get to watch a movie/tv show before reading the books. 

LvlSlgr

Jun-16

~J (amsavs) said:

I've been watching some Rizzoli & Isles reruns. I just now discovered it's based on a book series.

Yes, it is based on a series of books by Tess Gerritsen. However, as with most TV shows and books, they're different. Some of the storyline is the same but the characters are somewhat different but you learn to live with that. I discovered this with the TV show "Bones" based on the character Dr. Temperance Brennan from the series of books by Kathy Reichs. With that one I had read many of the books before the TV series started.  The Temperance character in the show was sooooooo different than the one in the book. I think I watched the show for 2 seasons and then gave up on it. With "Rizzoli & Isles" it was the opposite - I had watched the TV shows, like you, before learning they were based on books. As I said, they're a little different but not too bad. There are 12 books in this series and I've read 11 of them. The last one was published in 2017 so maybe that's all she's going to write.

In reply toRe: msg 590
LvlSlgr

Jun-19

On June 4th I reported I had started reading John McCain's last book The Restless Wave. I got about a third of the way through it and had to give up on it. It's too much about the politics involving the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not like the other books I've read by him. I was really hoping for something different since it was his last book written after he knew he had the malignant brain tumor that would end his life. I'll probably return to it someday but not right now.

So now I'm reading South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I've always enjoyed reading his books - The Prince of Tides; The Lords of Discipline - and this one is proving to be a good one. The all take place in the South. This one is in Charleston, SC which is a city I know about because I have relatives who live there and have always enjoyed visiting.

RavenofGA

Jun-30

I read some of Stephen King's Dark Tower series many years ago when they first came out.  I didn't really remember a lot about it so I decided to read them all again,  I'm on book three of the series and I'm really enjoying it.  After I finish all 7 books, I'm going to read Herbert's Dune series again.  I read them when they first came out and even saw the movie but, like the King series, I don't remember a lot of the one's after the first one.  Figured I'd refresh my memory.

LvlSlgr

Jun-30

Hi Raven!

I know what you mean about reading books years ago but not remembering them well. I've gone back and reread most of the classics I had to read for school ... 40-50 years ago. Plus added some others which I never read.

I'd like to go back and read the books by Dick Francis if I had the time. He's the author that got me hooked on mysteries. Maybe one of these days.

Right now I'm reading The Gatekeepers: How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every President by Chris Whipple. Eisenhower was the first President to have a Chief of Staff ... because that was something he was used to as a General in the Army. Kennedy didn't see the need but his brother Bobby, who was Attorney General, did some of that work also. From Nixon on they've all had a Chief of Staff. It's a very hard, stressful job and one that a person can't handle for much more than a couple of year. The book goes through all but the last one for Trump. I'm up to the Clinton years. It's interesting reading.

In reply toRe: msg 593
LvlSlgr

Sep-20

It's been over 2 1/2 months since I last posted here. Since then I finished the book I mentioned in the previous post and 11 others. That's 4 non-fiction and the rest fiction. Generally, but not always, about every third book I read is non-fiction. I love reading about WW II. The book I just finished last night was Dunkirk: The History Behind the Major Motion Picture by Joshua Levine. It was interesting because he gave you the history of Dunkirk with lots of interviews from the survivors and then he talked about how the movie was made. I really would like to see that movie now which was released in 2017. I checked Amazon Prime but it's not free there. I also checked OnDemand with my TV (cable) and it's on HBO but I would have to subscribe.

Has anyone else been reading anything interesting?

oiuoiu321

Sep-20

LvlSlgr, you should check your library.  They likely would have that movie.