Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you ever cross party lines when voting?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 2/13/20 by Showtalk; 3941 views.
In reply toRe: msg 7
Showtalk
Host

2/14/20

I don’t think party affiliations should be revealed for nonpartisan race. It’s not supposed to matter or they would have them declare parties.  We had a school board election and a woman with no experience at all was voted in because of her party affiliation. She doesn’t work in the district or have children.  As it turns out she is terribly unqualified.  I don’t think she ever would have won if not for her job as a teacher and her political party.  I’m not sure why they felt that was important, but it basically ruined the election and the school board, and the district.  She is making choices for this district based on her work experience, in a very different type of district.  They have already made two very poor choices, which she pushed for. There are some decisions that should not ever be politically based.

ANNMTM

2/14/20

Well, judges and county supervisors come under non-partisan here, and I think it matters at least in those cases.

Given the current Secretary of Education, I can see why some would think it important. Your situation shows how it can be very bad.

Showtalk
Host

2/14/20

It can. Each district is very different and they get different amounts of state money.  The rest has to be made up by the community.  She worked in the most affluent community around so what hers needs is very different from ours. 

ANNMTM

2/14/20

I bet. No other board members to point that out to her?

Showtalk
Host

2/14/20

I don’t know. I don’t go to meetings.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

2/15/20

That last, "I don't go to the meetings" is pretty much a bad thing, if you vote a fool in and let them go on their own, YOU are largely responsible for not heading her/him/it off from bad choices.

Voting is only PART of participating in your government, making your day to day voice heard is just as important as voting.

Showtalk
Host

2/15/20

I went when I had children in public school.  Only one of my children actually graduated from that district, which is a very long story and which I won’t get into here.  At this point, parents with children in school have the most important voices,  because it affects them personally.  They want to know where your children are enrolled, and if they are not going to public school, they don’t listen.  I had a personal disagreement with the district anyway, and was not particularly welcome there after a while.  I began working privately with learning disabilities that the school refused to or could not correct. When I got to a 100% success rate teaching children with poor comprehension skills, they got angry and refused to have anything to do with me.  I even offered to come in and volunteer to work with students who couldn’t afford a private educator and they refused that. I offered to discount my fees so I was working barely above my own costs and they refused to tell parents.  So, my dealings with the district are not that good anymore. Their attitude is that if a child can’t learn in their schools, they can’t learn at all and should get tech training rather than expect to be able to read at adult level.  They don’t even encourage them to take the SAT or ACT.

ANNMTM

2/15/20

That's criminal! Kudos and thank you for trying to help the kids who couldn't afford your private services.

Showtalk
Host

2/16/20

Our schools are very good for gifted students and for those with things like autism or developmental delays.  Those in the middle with LDs or ADD, who might be gifted but struggle end up failing.

ANNMTM

2/16/20

lol My older daughter was in the gifted program (qualified with verbal test). In 8th grade, she was in a gifted class. Our district' policy in classrooms is (at least was, ) to put both gifted and challenged kids in the same class. This teacher taught to the challenged kids, thinking it unfair to them otherwise. Spelling exercises were coloring a picture, then writing the words around the outside of it, scrambling the letters of the word (!!!) and I forget what else I sat in the class and listened to her dumb everything down. I went in and requested a change, citing the reasons. She was switched. Didn't even have to do spelling in the new class, just vocabulary.

The teacher had a point. How do you teach both groups? Is it possible, or is it always unfair to one or the other?