Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

And now, the Good news   World Wide WTF?

Started 3/1/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 27141 views.
In reply toRe: msg 10
Jenifer (Zarknorph)

3/10/18

Ernie, the Froot-Loop eating, soccer-playing Therapy Goat

A black and white goat kid eating fruit loops out of a person's hand

A Froot-Loop eating goat who loves playing soccer is winning hearts at a disability service in northern New South Wales.

Four-month-old Ernie has become a regular visitor at Sunnyfield Disability Services in Tamworth, where he is training to be a therapy pet.

His adopted mother, Amanda Hoswell, said he had been destined for such a role because of his social nature.

Ms Hoswell said Ernie, who was born on Melbourne Cup day last year, was always going to be a winner, despite losing his real mother at birth.

Her partner brought him home in a box, and she has raised Ernie like her own child.

"He was this tiny little thing, and he wore a nappy, a newborn nappy, and he was bottle-fed," she said.

As he has grown, Ernie has developed quite a personality, and follows his 'mum' around just like a regular kid.

Now Ernie, an Alpine milking goat, is revelling in the attention he receives when he visits Sunnyfield, where there are endless pats, kisses, cuddles and games of soccer.

Ernie chases fitness balls around the open-plan facility, butting heads with balls of all shapes and sizes.

Video here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/ernie-the-froot-loop-eating-goat-wins-hearts/9531054

Alfi (THIALFI)

3/11/18

And at the checkout counter, customers will be asked "paper or plastic."

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

3/12/18

All single use plastic bags are being phased out completely here.

We use our own cloth bags, but the plastic bags come in handy as bin liners.

I guess we'll just have to adapt.

In reply toRe: msg 13
Jenifer (Zarknorph)

4/17/18

Critically endangered gorilla born in Smithsonian zoo

Calaya and Moke gorillas in Smithsonian zoo in the US

A US zoo has welcomed the birth of a male western lowland gorilla this week, a breed listed as critically endangered due to disease and poaching.

The Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute said it was the first time in nine years an infant had been born there.

It has been named Moke — meaning "junior" or "little one" in the African Lingala language — and is bonding well with its mother, Calaya.

"[It] is very special and significant, not only to our zoo family but also to this critically endangered species as a whole," the zoo's curator of primates, Meredith Bastian, said.

"The primate team's goal was to set Calaya up for success as best we could, given that she is a first-time mother."

"Doing so required great patience and dedication on the part of my team, and I am very proud of them and Calaya."

Calaya became an online star after the zoo announced she was pregnant with the hashtag #GorillaStory, which will continue to be used to update followers on Moke's progress.

Staff spent months training Calaya for pregnancy and birth, including getting her to take part in ulstrasounds, urinate on cue, and learn breastfeeding techniques.

Calaya was also shown photos of other mother gorillas and was given a plush gorilla toy to handle.

She gave birth on her own and can be seen kissing and nursing Moke in the moments immediately following birth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-17/endangered-western-lowland-gorilla-born-in-smithsonian/9666148

Graphic, but emotional video in the link

In reply toRe: msg 14
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/21/18

Loyal blue heeler stays with three-year-old lost in bush overnight

Max the blue heeler after the rescue

An old blue heeler named Max remained by the side of a three-year-old girl and led searchers to her after she spent more than 15 hours lost in rugged bushland on Queensland's Southern Downs overnight.

Aurora was reported missing about 3:00pm yesterday after she wandered off on her own, but a search of woodlands and hills on the rural property in wet weather last night found no trace of her.

This morning, more than 100 State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers, police and members of the public resumed the search and found the girl safe and well with Max the dog at 8:00am.

For his good work in keeping the little girl safe, Max has now been declared an honorary police dog.

Kelly Benston, the partner of Leisa Marie Bennett, who is Aurora's grandmother, said Ms Bennett and other searchers heard the little girl faintly from the top of a mountain this morning.

"She found the dog first. Max led her to Aurora," Mr Benston said.

"Max is 17 years old, deaf and partially blind."

Mr Phipps said Aurora suffered minor cuts and abrasions but was otherwise well and it was a wonderful outcome for the family and searchers.

"With the weather last night it's quite lucky she is well because it was cold, it was cold and raining," he said.

"She's a very hardy young lass to survive that without any ill effects and everyone, all the volunteers are extremely happy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-21/max-blue-heeler-leads-rescuers-to-missing-girl-night-in-bush/9683494

In reply toRe: msg 15
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/25/18

Young surfer attracts attention after wowing competition with duct-taped board

Profile photo of a young boy standing on a beach holding a battered surfboard.

A Ni-Vanuatu boy who captured online attention after progressing into the final stages of a local surfing competition with an old, duct-taped surfboard has been gifted a new board from a fellow surf enthusiast in New Zealand.

Key points:

• Kaltaliu Kalotiti was originally given the duct-taped surfboard by older kids
  • Vanuatu Surfing Association made an online appeal to get him a new surfboard
  • Dozens of offers for new boards flowed in from New Zealand surfers

An online campaign started after a photo was uploaded to Facebook of 14-year-old Kaltaliu Kalotiti holding his battered surfboard, held together with layers of duct tape.

Remarkably, Kaltaliu had used the duct-taped board at a recent surfing competition, where he burst into the semi-finals.

President of the Vanuatu Surfing Association, Stephanie Mahuk, said Kaltaliu's surfing had improved markedly over the past couple of years.

"He started out as one of those kids who was just born in the water, getting his hands on whatever he could to get in the water with," Ms Mahuk said.

"Going from there one of the older kids handed him a surfboard, and that's what he's been surfing on ever since."

Ms Mahuk posted the photo of Kaltaliu with the battered board on the VSA's Facebook page and appealed to the surfing community to see if anyone could donate a second-hand surfboard for him.

Her post was widely shared and within moments she received an offer from New Zealand.

"I didn't anticipate the level of response that I got back," Ms Mahuk said.

"Within a couple of minutes I had an email from New Zealand Surf Magazine, who proposed to get him a board and fly it across to Vanuatu."

Profile photo of a young boy and a man holding a surfboard on a beach.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-24/ni-vanuatu-boy-gifted-new-surfboard-after-facebook-photo/9691314

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/27/18

I've got that bookmarked to report on.

TinyFaerie

4/29/18

Bullshit on the "I don't have a plane" I know for a fact he does.

Every time I see that I grit my teeth and shake my head.

My daughters ex (asshole) B/F was the aeronautical engineer that would service and inspect the damn thing.

Said Crosby is the one of the biggest assholes he ever met and racist.  He didn't like white people. Would always talk down to them.

Even over Trump who he did the same for his jet and helicopter.

Bout time he paid the price. He has had it coming for years.

I don't buy that the girls were doing it all for the cash....yeah some maybe I can deal with that.  But I have no doubt some were totally not willing.

I have seen thought that bullshit for years now.

I think he has taken full advantage of his being a celebrity to get away with it.

Moving on. LOL  I usually don't participate in anything news worthy but this just rattled me.  Back to Dogs and Cats. I am doing my go nini round. 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/29/18

That's why the kittens are there.

To soothe the burn of the world on fire.