Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome to Arizona   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started 6/6/20 by Jeri (azpaints); 24295 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

6/8/20

I love the heat, dislike the cold!

kizmet1

6/8/20

I loved the snow until I broke something. I love heat now. Have portable AC but prefer to open a window for the heat.
Showtalk
Host

6/8/20

Wouldn’t people who get exposed from a convention be back at home by the time it incubates?

Jeri (azpaints)

6/8/20

Sure, but think about it.  Every elected Arizona Republican would be present! Most of the Republican power brokers from all 50 states. Half the R elected officials and A ton of media From all over the US and the world.  So, the virus might as well be let loose in La Guardia, LAX and O'Hare simultaneously.  Maybe add SeaTac and a couple other airports.

Showtalk said:

Wouldn’t people who get exposed from a convention be back at home by the time it incubates?

That would be my working hypothesis.

Same if a protest crowd of 50,000 were all exposed, although the transmission rate outdoors is a lot lower than indoors.

Now those that end up arrested, even if just given citations after a couple of hours in the back of a paddy wagon, or bunched up in a tent somewhere, would have a much, much higher number exposed and then contagious for a while before developing symptoms themselves.

Showtalk
Host

6/8/20

I guess we will see what happens. Although no one seems to care about the violent protestors spreading it, which is much more likely since they aren't distancing or even pretending to. 

• Edited June 8, 2020 6:28 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

6/8/20

Yes and by then it would be difficult to tell.

Jeri (azpaints) said:

Half the R elected officials and A ton of media From all over the US and the world. So, the virus might as well be let loose in La Guardia, LAX and O'Hare simultaneously. Maybe add SeaTac and a couple other airports.

Yeah. so maybe no one else should travel for a few days before and after the end of the convention, so the next super-spreader outbreak won't get passed along to everyone else who was just in the airport that day some dignitary, security personnel, aides, etc. are all exhaling clouds of virus acquired at or around the convention.

That also made me think of something else that actually has historical precedent although I can't remember much detail beyond it was evidently in the 19th century.

While it's pretty cut and dried how succession operates if a President in office dies - such as when FDR kicked the bucket and Truman stepped up, or when JFK had his -um- misadventure in Dallas and LBJ stepped up. Same with resignation, or even a pair of resignations. Spiro Agnew resigned, Nixon appointed Gerald Ford as a replacement for Agnew to finish the term, then Nixon resigned and Ford stepped up.

But - what about if, say, a major party nominee kicks the bucket between convention and election? Let's say, maybe both the top and bottom of the ticket contract, say, a disease, and neither makes it to Election Day. Or, say, the VP nominee recovers, and the Presidential nominee doesn't. It's too late to re-print ballots.

Then there's the problem of - same scenario but between the election and the inauguration, for whoever won.

Because neither of the presumptive names on the ballot in November are spring chickens. It wouldn't even have to be a pandemic. I've known far too many folks in their 60s and 70s who at 7 PM one day thought they had a bad case of acid reflux, and by 7:15 PM people were frantically doing CPR waiting for the ambulance, and by 8 PM the E.R. doctor  officially pronounced them.

Then there's an even more murky scenario. Let's say that both major party candidates have been showing symptoms of serious cognitive decline, sometimes speaking or tweeting word salad, sometimes forgetting the kind of things that suggest not really knowing where they are or what they are talking about.

So by Election day, they're both, say, quite alive, but it's clear that the lights are on but nobody's home. How would that kind of situation be handled?

Showtalk
Host

6/8/20

Um, that is already kind of the case with one possible nominee.   They would just plug in the VP candidate.

Jeri (azpaints)

6/8/20

I agree the protests are an incubator for the virus!   The protests started May 25th, right?  We could be seeing some of that spread right now, but I do wonder if we would be told that the spread was due to a protest.