About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 51936 views.
gilturgeon

6/6/19

Good morning and thank you all for the acknowledgment. I don’t necessarily feel alone in this struggle, every long term smoker I’ve ever met wished they could smoke ONLY when they really wanted to, those rare occasional moments when smoking is pleasurable.. with all the public awareness and staggering stats, I’m confused why so many young people still consider it cool. I’ve lived most my life in central coast California and on Maui where smoking is no way near as prevalent or acceptable as it is here in NC.. I understand there’s a lot of variables to consider,  the acceptance level is what I’m still not used to and I feel this just fuels my addiction.. by contrast,  out west, in the areas I’m from, smoking is very taboo and that made me conscious of somewhat controlling my input, but here, everyone smokes it seems like!  so without boundaries, I’m smoking twice as much (2 packs!! Always smoking or thinking about it) in a way that’s been a blessing, I’m more discussed in myself than I’ve ever been and my health is taking a huge hit.. Apart from smoking, I’m very health conscious, smoking hasn’t overly impacted my physical attributes til lately. I’m 5’9” 145lb .. 2 yrs ago - 180lbs almost zero fat, worked out regularly, ate well... now, I smoke and drink soda instead of eating.. 

THIS ENDS TODAY!!!  I actually stopped last night ( surprising because I love to smoke before bedtime out side) thanks to this forum, I think I have a tool that going to come in handy, just now I got a stabbing craving for a split second.. Breath.....

turtles

6/6/19

I am 65, smoked for 40 years and quit cold turkey on April 1.  That feeling of 95% of the cigarettes I smoked were not pleasurable is what drove me.  I had quit for 3 months 5 months before and made the fatal just one error, which I will not repeat.  Some days were downright obnoxious but sugar free hard candy really helped, with sugarfree cinnamon gum, ice chip water and really cold flavored water. These also helped minimize weight gain.  Good luck! 

Owen0318

6/6/19

good for you on your decision to quit, I am on day 37 after 38 years of smoking a pack a day, like you said in your previous post< I have always worked out and kept in fairly good shape for a smoker, always have had a lot of guilt about being health conscience and a nicotine addict ! smoking is so socially unacceptable now days, it is down right stressful to be a smoker! you just have to stick it out and you will start to feel better and it gets easier, for me it was after week 3, good luck and keep reading and posting it really helps !

DaleAnn

6/6/19

Everyone quit is different and we chose the method we can live with and be successful.  By all means do not set yourself up for failure if you're smoking 40 a day. NRT is probably the way you should go so you can manage the withdrawals.  I used nicotine gum the first month I quit, others require a combination of aids; Zyban/Chantix; nicotine patches, etc. What saved me during withdrawals was I kept in touch and reading everyone's posts close to my quit date. "I was not alone" participating in this Forum knowing others were along side of me pacing and cringing with me. Also it was motivating to hear from others who were a little ahead of me and successfully maintaining their quit. 

gilturgeon

6/6/19

I need the weight gain! Nicotine and caffeine was/is a very potent stimulant for me, which effected my appetite to the point that I would just eat once a day , usually just before bed... total make-over for me on this d-day.. fully aware of the dangers of over doing it and will be continuously be monitoring myself and approaching issues with new tools I have gathered here and other resources.. 

In reply toRe: msg 26
gilturgeon

6/6/19

Thanks Owen, best of luck and focus.. I am of French decent and my full quit day (today) coincidentally is D-day! I’m going into battle to defend my freedom of choice and health. I wished the social stigma of smoking was in better force here in NC , in San Luis Obispo California where my formative years where spent, if you were smoking on the Main Street, people would tell to your face that you were taking away their right to clean air, and as a smoker, I agreed 100%!  I was always considerate in that regard, I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with cigarettes, I’m at the point now, the love is shameful and the hate is debilitating.. like everyone else, I have other negative issues in the works and there will never be that  “best” moment to quit. So I’m prioritizing this effort over everything else, I may disappoint some people in the process,  but I know the benefits will hugely outweigh the missteps.. again, my major concern is anger. I’m not usually patient with the WWW lol but I’m getting a lot of useful info... thank you!

gilturgeon

6/6/19

Thanks for the suggestion DaleAnn.. I’ve tried several times at attacking this monkey by means of NRT but would always end up smoking along side..my Doctor is addicted to the gum! I seen him pop one and asked him about it and was told flat out, he chews a whole package of the gum a day! He has been quit on smoke for a couple years I think, he justifies the more harmful nature of the smoke rather than the nicotine itself... whatever, I know it won’t work for me, I’ve tried, we’re all deferent, thank god.... the 2 pack -a-day dynamic is relatively a new stat for me, it’s not until I moved here to NC with very liberal views on smoking did I become a locomotive... This is day one. If I start to get out of control I’ll definitely get some help by other means than will power and prayer... I can’t emotionally take the recent rapid health decline and the command this drug and lifestyle has taken over me... I want my best me back.

AsadAKhan

6/6/19

Thanks for answering all my questions. Yes I am worried and as per my wife I am very anxious person (I feel it at sometimes as well smiley). Before quit I was anxious about how I will go through withdrawals and after 5-6 days of quit I got anxious and worried on how I will retain this quit as I don't want to go back to smoking again. For me it was 25 years of addiction of 1 pack a day since I was 16.

Despite of no nicotine in any form from last 78 days I am still not a very confident person. Although I should be confident now as I have said no to 1500+ cigarettes in these days. But I do have bad days like day 64 and 76 when I got extreme cravings and anxiety hit me badly with all those thoughts of why I am going through all this, I will never feel good etc etc. and depression state

I see lot of people mentioning 3 month or 4 month  point and lot of relief after it. Is it like 1 day you will be up and you will feel very good in comparison to before or it will be a gradual change as well? Like I do see improvement from 1st month into second but after that progress is very slow if there is any.

silverene102

6/6/19

Yay! I’m so happy that you decided to do this. It’s so much easier to fight in numbers rather than alone.

i totally understand what you mean as I’m originally  from south east Asia but to me, it didn’t matter the place, I still smoke the same amount anywhere. I loved to smoke, never really need others for it, smoke itself was my best friend. Now I realised that is pretty creepy lol 

One thing I’ve changed since my last attempt to quit was I never smoke after shower at night. I used to smoke late at night outside before sleep as well. I didn’t wanna smell like ashtray in bed and didn’t like the feeling morning after so I just decided no cigarettes before bed time.

It’s been a week since My quit day. I just feel hungry all the time. Even after dinner still hungry. I tried my hardest not to give in. So far so good. The only problem I have now is I keep buying stuffs online. I just spent my smoking time online buying whatever things. I feel like I deserved them. My partner said at least now you’re not burning your money away lol 

Please do keep me posted everyday. It would be nice to know that I’m not the only one. The others please do join in as well. 

Thank you !

In reply toRe: msg 32
slowblumer

6/6/19

Hi June Ex-Smokers.

Keep your eyes on the prize and don't smoke.  Here are a few articles that may help.

How A Few Deep Breaths Can Stop Smoking Urges

Helping Friends And Family Understand How It Feels To Quit Smoking

By Terry Martin The following "letter" to family and friends was written by Richard, the nonsmoking husband of one of our forum members here at About.com Smoking Cessation. Through the experience of supporting his wife, Mary as she worked to quit smoking, Richard learned a lot about what it's like for an ex-smoker who is recovering from nicotine addiction. I Will Survive! - A Goodbye Letter To Smoking

Achieving the Mindset for Success

Here's Why You're Addicted to Nicotine