About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 52592 views.
David072118

6/6/19

Wow, Marge!!! Good goin"!!

Best,

Dave

silverene102

6/7/19

I’m so proud of myself today. I was at my in-laws and like 7 of us sitting there. Everyone’s smoking and drinking but didn’t bother me at all. I just sit there drinking my cup of coffee. A few times I felt like I was gonna reach for one from the table out of habit but then I realised I’m not a smoker anymore haha. 

Thank you so much, Debbie for all your advice. It’s not so hard with the right mind set :) 

Awesome!! You are nailing this! Be strong, stubborn and focused on remaining a nonsmoker for life! Show that nicotine monster who's boss and that you are now in the control seat. Keep building a strong quit mindset. Nice job!! 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

In reply toRe: msg 41
leighmomof2

6/7/19

Hello June quitters, just stopping by to say hi and wish you all luck as you begin your non smoking life.  I quit 142 days ago and each day I am adjusting more and more to my new life.    This forum was (and is) such a great support system.   Stay strong at the beginning. The first few weeks are the worst and it only gets better as time goes on.  Good luck!

silverene102

6/7/19

Hi Leigh. Congrats on 142 smoke free! Yes, I don’t know what I’d do without this forum. All the informations and supports are helping the process much easier for me. 

Please tell me what you did to be able to stay strong all this time. I’d love to know as reading success story helps me stay strong myself.

leighmomof2

6/7/19

Hi! I believe this quit is different because I really wanted to quit. I did not want to be a smoker (a closet smoker) anymore.  Whenever I get a major craving, I just remind myself that I am choosing to be a non- smoker. I love being a non-smoker. 1 cigarette will turn me back into the person I no longer wanted to be.   I also set small goals for myself (7 days.. 2 weeks.. 1 month.. 3 months. etc..) and reward myself when I make it.   

silverene102

6/7/19

Hi DaleAnn. I’ve been smoke free for 8 days with Zyban. I’m totally with you, i filled my usual smoke break with reading/ posting on this forum and I feel stronger and less attached to cigarettes. All the information and supports help me create new mindset towards quitting. Instead of trying to stop myself or fight the urges, I can constantly remind myself that I’m not that person anymore and I’m happy with not being an addict.

silverene102

6/7/19

Haha you’re  right. I guess I already compensate myself enough for quitting now :) 

i go to gym every morning 5 days a week. Been doing that for the past 2 months. I’ve lost 10kg since last year, that’s why my doc suggested me to try Zyban to quit smoking at this time. 

How are you doing? Put on some weight yet ? 

silverene102

6/7/19

I told my partner to just leave me alone with this. It’s easier for me to quit in the background as I don’t have to deal with cravings and others at the same time. I get irritated easily without cigarettes so questions like how are you doing? Are you still smoke free etc will Just get nasty replies. I feel bad for that so it’s just better to just pretend it’s not a thing  

For the first few days tho I would scream out loud “**** I need to smoke!” at him. He’d just ignore me and continue doing what he’s doing lol. It made me feel soo much better to let it out. Now I don’t do that anymore. I’ll just read / post here to distract me. 

slowblumer

6/7/19

Hi silver,

I found in the first months of quitting I was literally 'on edge'  constantly.  I was irritable with everyone.  It will get better in time.

Reading and posting here is a great distraction, but much more.   Everyone here understands how you feel.   

Under 'Discussions' is the One Year and Beyond Milestone' posts.  Below is just one of our quit buddies stories.  I highly recommend reading them -inspiring!

Common Rationalizations for Smoking (And How to Overcome Them)

So much of this journey freeing ourselves from nicotine addiction is mental.  We are talking to ourselves in our minds daily and we are the ones that can control that conversation to work for us or against us.  Quitting smoking triggers mental rationalizations that are incorrect.