About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 66127 views.
In reply toRe: msg 167
48yrsmokin

10/26/19

Does anyone know about how the lungs are suppose to feel over time? My lungs feel really heavy I'm coughing some times but not really alot. Seeems like they get heavier everyday-I know it's only day 9 without smokin but I thought it was suppose to get better not Worse.

slowblumer

10/26/19

Hi 48,

You can get through each trigger, one at a time.  Try to let the triggers flow over you.  Deep breathing really helps a lot .

If at all possible avoid smokers.  It is unnecessary torture -in my opinion.

Your lungs are starting to heal. All the sticky brown tar that coats your throat, lung passages and every cell in your body are undergoing Big Change. Our brain still has its mutitude of normal daily continuous functions and now it must rewire your thinking, memories and emotions that go along with smoking. It's no wonder your nervous system is jittery and we get all moody and anxious. We also may find our throat sore and our lungs feel a little weird. I found my throat tasted like charcoal and it stayed that way for a good two months as the cilia (fine hairs) started to regrow and the dead icky tar sticky cells sloughed off. The coughing up stuff came in waves right up to six months and so I made sure I drank a lot of water to help stay hydrated. You will see other things as the weeks and months go by. I no longer had cold fingers and toes and my skin brighter and hair looked shinier. My stomach took a lot longer to heal as I had a constant achy pain in it and this finally went away by a year and it was one of those nasty nicotine receptors that would not stop causing havoc. I had to stop drinking coffee for quite a while and use antacids a lot. I just want you to know that every last icky withdrawal symptom will go away after a year and then it's up to you to just never fall for the just one thinking ever again. Good luck with your quit and stay strong!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Brenda (1sept19)

10/26/19

Keep up the good work !!  12 days is awesome.

Brenda (1sept19)

10/26/19

Keep taking it one day at a time, you can do this !

MarkOU812

10/26/19

Hi 48

I'm on day 13 and my lungs have been heavy and tight almost from the get go. I have a cough spell a few times a day with little to nothing coming up. I deep breath and know my lungs are clear but sure is a lousy feeling. If I focus and relax I can usually make it go away. Until the next time it hits, kinda learning to work thru them. One of these times they won't come back. Debbie is right on. We are throwing are body for a loop, it's healing. Keep the faith.

10/13/2019

Mark

• Edited October 26, 2019 5:41 pm  by  slowblumer
In reply toRe: msg 173
MarkOU812

10/27/19

2 weeks today

Yeah Me!!!!

10/13/2019

Mark

Brenda (1sept19)

10/27/19

Congratulations, Mark.  You are doing great !

Ovivi

10/27/19

Nice work! You seem determined to succeed, that’s wonderful!

Ovivi

10/27/19

This is very good to read, because 7 weeks in, I’m noticing my stomach feels upset sometimes. It usually feels better with some tums, but I’ve been wondering what was up.