Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should our desert communities make water from air?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jun-30 by Showtalk; 9161 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jul-1

To protect the Delta smelt.  Don’t ask me.  I didn’t have anything to do with it.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-1

I always thought they should be able to pull water from air but if it’s very dry, is there anything to capture? 

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

Jul-1

I realize that.  But to dump fresh water into the ocean, regardless of the reason, is a crime.  The governor of California should be in prison.

WALTER784

Jul-1

Showtalk said...

I always thought they should be able to pull water from air but if it’s very dry, is there anything to capture? 

Arid climates are harder to produce water from air. If that were possible for a reasonable cost, they should be tested in real deserts around the world first. But the problem is that the cost to produce just 1/4th of a cup of water per day in those regions would be in the millions of dollars! (i.e. It's just not inexpensive enough to become a viable option at this time.)

On another note, pumping water in via pipes has been used for at least the past 80 years now. How do you think Vegas sprung up?

And to inexpensively produce water (from anything) will be a prerequisite for any kind of sustainable life on Mars! There isn't even air on Mars!

FWIW

Solar de-salination?

Like what we learned to do in survival courses but on a much bigger scale to yield a lot more water per person per day?

Showtalk
Host

Jul-2

Voters are trying to get the Governor out of office, so he gave away free money and his ratings went up.  There was a surplus and he spent all of it.  No saving for a rainy day.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-2

Solar is still very expensive to set up. 

In one of the Dune books, the Fremen were condensing water out of the atmosphere at night on the planet.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-2

it could be a good plan in a very damp climate, which wouldn’t need the water anyway.