About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

6 Years Free!   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Mar-23 by leethiel; 549 views.
leethiel

Mar-23

I was looking at the calendar today and realized today is my 6 year anniversary of being smoke free. I always like to come here and write something to commemorate because I remember when I was new and struggling. I would be barely hanging on and reading people's success stories for hours on end would keep me going another day. This site and the wonderful people on it are what made this my forever quit, so I like to pass it on.

I have such compassion for all you who are just starting your journey especially right now when we are battling this virus. I promise you there will come a day when you don't think about smoking at all. I love going to the doctor and getting asked if I smoke and proudly saying not anymore. Be nice to yourself right now. You are doing something very difficult but it's not impossible. Don't worry about gaining weight or all the other stumbling blocks we like to use to not quit. Just make your entire focus making it through each day smoke free. Do the nope pledge every morning. It seems silly at first, but that really puts you in a good mindset for the rest of the day. If it's possible, find someone in your group who can be your buddy and exchange cell numbers, so you can text each other at weak moments. I did that and will be forever grateful to my friend who talked me off the ledge several times.

This can be done. I smoked for over 30 years and I know I will never touch cigarettes ever again. It took about a year before I felt comfortable with myself again. Now I don't know how I ever afforded or found time for all the smoking I did. I wish you all peace and blessings as you make this journey.

Leanne

ModAndrea

Mar-23

Congratulations on SIX YEARS, Leanne!!!

I got excited when I saw your photo pic show up under Recent Contributors. blush

Thank you for a tremendous milestone post. I do remember how much it meant to hear that it can be done.

Have a fabulous smoke free day!

Love and hugs,

Andrea

leethiel

Mar-23

Thanks, Andrea! I remember you from my struggling times and you were so supportive. I am so glad and grateful to be free of smoking. Love and hugs to you as well.

Leanne

Happy 6th anniversary milestone!!!!!!

We both stuck it out and made that commitment to butt out for good. New quitters need our posts so they see that this wicked addiction can be squashed with the help of this awesome forum. People going through a shared experience can truly help keep each other supported and committed. The pay it forward practice has helped hundreds of the people that post of this forum. Keep up the great job of letting new quitters stay on target. Onto year 7 for you.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

leethiel

Mar-23

Thanks Deb! You are always the best cheerleader for everyone on this site. Glad to see you are still helping others!

Leanne

Hi Leanne,

Congratulations on 6 years! I surely remember you as one of those I looked to early in my quit.  I loved your post, all so true.  

leethiel

Mar-23

Thanks, Marge! What you said means a lot! It’s nice to know I helped you in any way through your journey. I found humor was what kept me going along with this wonderful forum.

Leanne

ModDee

Mar-23

Leanne!  How good to hear from you.  Congratulations on 6years of freedom.

(((Hugs)))

In reply toRe: msg 8
leethiel

Mar-23

Thank you, Dee! You have always been a wonderful source of inspiration to me. 

Leanne

cherbearquit

Mar-23

Congrats on 6 years! That is awesome! Thank you for sharing your milestone with us. I also read other people’s success stories to motivate me. This forum is a lifeline for sure! Wishing you all the best!