Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

This is really sad...   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 11/22/21 by WALTER784; 609 views.
WALTER784

11/22/21

The school board has denied this child's ability to attend school for the simple reason that she will not wear a mask 38 times. And this school is in the State of Florida... my State... where DeSantis has declared that masks are NOT REQUIRED!!!

As Gretta Thurnburg so eloquently says... how dare the school board for defying their Governor's decision!

Girl Suspended 38 Times For Refusing Mask Speaks To School Board

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

11/22/21

DeSantis' mask order is illegal.  Devil and the deep blue sea.  Wear a mask and violate FL law, refuse to allow a child to wear a mask and violate federal law.

Showtalk
Host

11/22/21

But the federal law has been struck down by a court, so in FL, the Governor’s law is the only one that counts at this moment.

Showtalk
Host

11/22/21

She is very brave and speaks well given her age. But she IS wearing a mask at the school board meeting.

Jeri (azpaints)

11/22/21

Sorry I was thinking of the federal OSHA regulations on vaccines.  DeSantos situation is still in the appeals process on its way to SCOTUS.  My bet is that SCOTUS rules banning mask mandates is unconstitutional but we'll see.

WALTER784

11/22/21

Jeri (azpaints) said...

Wear a mask and violate FL law, refuse to allow a child to wear a mask and violate federal law.

The first half of that is correct. Refusing to allow a child to wear a mask is what I don't understand. Forcing a child to wear a mask... not refusing to allow a child to wear a mask...

The federal law issue... LOL... they would have to create such a law, get it passed in both the House and Senate and then signed into law first. And that hasn't been done so please explain what federal law is being violated? Especially since DeSantis specifically nullified that requirement within the State of Florida.

FWIW

WALTER784

11/22/21

Yes, I think she was forced to wear one inside of the board meeting or they wouldn't let her speak.

FWIW

• Edited November 22, 2021 10:49 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

11/23/21

Mask mandates are unconstitutional. Do you remember when this first happened and we were told they could not mandate things like vaccines because it was unconstitutional?  Same with masks. It makes about as much legal sense as forcing people to wear a hat.

• Edited November 23, 2021 9:29 am  by  Showtalk
Jeri (azpaints)

11/23/21

Vaccines have been mandated in the US for decades.  The first recorded vaccine mandate was made by George Washington for his troops.  Here is a more current ruling.  SCOTUS has allowed vaccine mandates.   There is currently a case in the Appeals court process filed by Texas but I don't believe SCOTUS has ruled in that case yet.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/blog/jacobson-v-massachusetts-reiss

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-declines-block-vaccine-mandate-health-workers-maine-n1282757

https://fortune.com/2021/11/08/osha-biden-vaccine-mandate-businesses-supreme-court-lawsuits/

https://www.newsweek.com/supreme-court-rejects-religious-exemptions-vaccine-mandates-6-3-maine-ruling-1644144

Jeri (azpaints)

11/23/21

Mask mandates are under review by OSHA and that may result in some workers must wear masks while others do not. Additionally, private companies can mandate masks for their employees just as they can mandate uniforms, no sleeveless tops or no flip flops.