About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 33214 views.
Loreficent

Mar-15

Welcome Syrrose!

And Big Congratulations Boylant!!! Strong work. Now you have some good momentum, and lots of new buddies here too! 
Here is a link from another site that has an excellent list of reasons to stay quit. I really enjoyed reading them, and lots I had not thought of, so wanted to share. I think there is something on there that will resonate with all of us.

https://whyquit.com/pr/012717.html

Oh yes...and Suzy! One week today! Yay!!!blush

boylant22

Mar-15

Hi Suzy!  Just want to say that you are doing great!  If you can survive the times that are the hardest, you know your strength can resolve!

Suzy2018

Mar-15

Dear Katie - you are so good at helping me!   Yes, maybe it IS the perfect time to quit after all.  Years ago on this forum (2008 I think) there was a lady who was only 9 days into her quit when her brother was killed by a bull, and she still didn't smoke.  I haven't had anything that bad happen, but even so I feel like I've worked hard for my One Week Badge, so I'm not planning on having to hand it back over anything trivial.  I've done a LOT of really good not smoking this week relaxed

Thanks too for sharing your own experiences of mental health problems, and it does give me hope that maybe my son is the right age/stage to really engage with therapy.  He hasn't been ready before, and it's been a very long old haul - for him obviously, but for everyone who loves him too.   I also really understand that it's hard work, but I'm so glad that it's helped you so much.  For what it's worth, you seem very sane and well-balanced to me!

Yes, family stuff - and it's somehow worse because of feeling that it ought to be easier.  You're probably too young to remember The Waltons (American TV about a ludicrously happy family) - I was only six or seven when I saw it, but even then I thought "My family isn't like that".    It's become even more interesting/sad since I started doing roleplay for communication skills training courses:  now, I know pretty much everything there is to know about how to listen well and encourage the other person to express themselves, and how to be non-judgemental and ask questions that empower rather than prescribe.  Technically I should be completely fabulous to talk to, but can I do it with my own family?   Nope.  We just fall into the same old roles, and when we finally come out of the mincer the other end we wonder what the hell just happened.  I really hope I will get better at it.

I'm so glad you and your husband stood on the doorstep with candles.  I went outside with my torch down here in Devon and shone it up to the sky, but I didn't see anyone else.  I think it's hit Londoners particularly hard, but I was still surprised to be on my own. Glad I did it though.  I can't imagine what Sarah's parents are going through, but I hope it comforted them a little bit to know that so many, many people are so moved by what happened, and are prepared to stand up and say that this matters - that she matters.   Humans really can be good - I think most of us are, really - and little people like your daughter most of all.

Thank you so much for all your help.  I can hardly believe that I haven't smoked for a whole week, and you've been such an important part of that.  Thank you.

And now, on to Week 2.

Suzy x

Suzy2018

Mar-15

Well done, SYRRose - 4 days is amazing.  I'm on Day 7 and also tired and a bit dizzy, but I'm sure it will pass.  In the meantime, walking and walking and walking sounds like an excellent plan, and SO much better than puffing on the cancer sticks.  We can do this! 

Very best wishes,

Suzy

Suzy2018

Mar-15

Thanks for the congratulations, and for the WhyQuit link - what a great list of benefits!

Suzy2018

Mar-15

Thank you, boylant.  It's pretty nice, isn't it,  to find out that we're stronger than we thought?   Hope all is well with you.

SYRRose

Mar-15

Thanks Suzy! We got this!!!! 

Well hello Mercy. Yes I do remember you. I still pop in to keep up with all the quitters and offer words of support so everyone just keeps on NOPING every day.

It is great to see you back again. You've tried to quit long term a few times already but that just one thinking sabotages your quit. You need to make a promise to yourself to never ever shove another cigarette in your mouth. I used NRT in various forms and weaned off of them slowly. We need to outsmart our inner ego and realize that we can do this. All quitters can stay quit by sticking with the forum and staying committed to end our drug addiction. So, keep going and posting. Respect yourself by ending this hourly battle once and for all and accept all the crappy stuff you will go through. Yes it sucks but give quitting that entire year till staying quit just becomes your automatic response to those craves, One day at a Time, one leads to thousands more and other great one liners need to fill your thoughts and help your fellow quitters get through another day. Read my Deb's Quit Story under the quit stories and journals folder to get an ideas of how my own journey went. Keep on NOPING!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Mercy (mercy164)

Mar-15

Thanks Deb. I am glad you still pop in. You are a blessing to me 

KatieKat84

Mar-16

Hi Suzy,

How has Week 2 started for you? Hopefully it will be a bit kinder than last week! I liked your comment that you’ve done a lot of really good not smoking :)

How are you finding the triggers/craves?

As it happens I do remember the Waltons - my mum used to watch it! Growing up I think there was too much emphasis on being a ‘happy’ family, any negative emotions were stuffed down which I now know is not healthy! It sounds like your job has given you a great attitude and approach to relating to others, and indeed I’m sure you are fabulous to talk to ;) When I was having a really tough time in my teens I would have loved it if someone had just asked me how I was and really listened! 

But yes when it’s your own family it’s a whole different ball game isn’t it. I wonder if therapists also find it hard with their own families?!

That’s lovely you shone your torch up in the sky for Sarah Everard. We also hardly saw anyone else and were really surprised, but I suppose a lot of people went to the vigil.

Our daughter is home for the week in quarantine after there was a covid case at her nursery. It’s nice having her home although tiring trying to fit work in around her. In the park today a raven flew down and stole a packet of rice cakes from our pram! We gave chase but he took it up a tree. My daughter kept saying ‘naughty birdy!’

Im so glad to be a help on your quit - you’re doing brilliantly and I really see you as a non-smoker :)

Seems like there’s a really nice gang of March quitters and supporters around on the forum just now.

Take care and speak soon,

Katie

4th March 2017