About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Feb-28 by Terry (abquitsmking); 37704 views.
Mercy (mercy164)

Mar-15

Thank you Anne for writing me back. It has been suggested that I meditate or nap. I am trying to get better at self care and have made some progress but still have a long way to go.  I also have the issue of being so tired I sometimes don't realize that I am.  I want to live so I need to work on this. How are you? What is your quit like?

oxanquits

Mar-15

Thank you for the beautiful words Lori, and for the tips pray Love the comparison with waves, it is relaxing and helpful way to think about dealing with feelings while quitting dolphin  being in the moment is hard sometimes, but important to practice.

• Edited March 15, 2021 5:27 pm  by  oxanquits
oxanquits

Mar-15

Suzy2018 said:

I think without this forum I would have, and it's a bit of a mystery to me really. 

same for me. I come here when feel that I might smoke soon and so far it helped me a lot - didn't imagine it would make so much difference. Before I was thinking that I can do it myself, but it's easier and fun together punch

Anne2020

Mar-15

Mine was quite easy compared to most I have read on this forum.  I count myself very, very lucky.  It's been described to me as 'smoking left me'.  I didn't plan anything, I just woke up one day and didn't smoke.  Did it again and again and, after about a week, I figured, I would quit altogether.  So I have had the odd day or two where it was a bit of a challenge but nothing compared to most of the posts that I read on this forum.  I am very lucky.

I have to say that your mind is your greatest weapon.  If you can convince yourself that you actually like smoking, and most of us have, then you can convince yourself that you hate it too.   It's not long after a quite that you realize how foul they smell and how icky they taste.  How we ever get started on the things is a complete travesty. 

The movies and television glamorized smoking.  When I was young, I thought starting to smoke was a right of passage to adult hood.  You had to smoke or you were just not growing up or cool.  I now have such disdain for the advertising and promotion of just about anything.  Don't trust any of them.  They are out to make a buck and that is all that matters to them.  

Well, the jig is up.  More and more people are removing the veil and seeing smoking for what it is.  A gigantic con job set up to kill off the population, keep them poor, sick and dying while shareholders of tobacco corp rake in the cash year after year after year. 

Now is shareholders of pharma raking in the cash with all the sick and dying.   What a game plan eh.  

Don't be a louse and let those cigarettes take one more minute of your life time.  Find something else to keep you amused, to destress or to socialize with.  Something healthy.  Something that will contribute to your life - not suck the life out of you and your wallet.  

Smoking is a mugs game.  Don't get sucked in.

That's how I'm feeling today.  Rejoice - you have quit and now on the lookout for better things.  Well done.  

Cheers! 

oxanquits

Mar-15

It is the same, when I was looking for the link for you I found out it's worse than I thought it is, so I am happy to be here. And yeah, sometimes the logic we create to make us do what nicotine wants is crazy.

Wow 10 weeks is huge, congrats! 

Mercy (mercy164)

Mar-15

Thank you for that awesome email . I am sick today and it was just what I needed to hear.

Mercy

10 days

Sadiebean

Mar-15

Thank you Anne for writing this! This is how I have felt in the past and hope I wake up tomorrow with that same thought process. These little, white sticks are just that- and not needed in life. 

Nope62

Mar-16

I'm very happy for you! Your doing a great Job of sticking to your Quit!

You can call me either name. I'll still answer. My real name is Jeff, the other is just a handle I thought up years back when I first posted on this forum.

I wish you luck on your journey to be free! 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Meg2021

Mar-16

Hello there,

I've smoked for thirteen years and will be quitting tomorrow. Have thrown my packs away and read up on it, and now it's time to get serious. Being in quarantine has increased my smoking, and I have used it as a way to mark time and socialize. A close friend lives across the hall and we typically see each other three or four times a day to light up. I've tried to quit many times, and the longest I went this year was two weeks. My partner is so supportive of me quitting and I want to live a long and happy life with him. I want my health and breathing to improve, as I've been congested and snoring at night. All that being said, tomorrow is the day! I'm excited for my new life and to break free. 

oxanquits

Mar-16

Welcome Meg and you can do it! This forum is a huge help.