Butterflies moths dragonflies -  Good butterfly day July 28 (123 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 6) 

As I finished working in the yard, I walked by the zinnia bed and spotted a spicebush swallowtail (Papilio troilus).  I ran in to get my camera.  There were quite a number of butterflies of several species.  I had fun taking photos despite being hot and tired.

Spicebush swallowtail (Papilio troilus)

the  Zebra longwing (Heliconius charitonius) had returned.

American painted ladies (Vanessa virginiensis)  are common, but I think they are beautiful

there were lots of sleepy orange butterflies (Eurema nicippe)

this is a male

and several cloudless sulphurs (Phoebis sennae)

this is a male

and a gorgeous male tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)

In addition to these,

there were numerous silver spotted skippers (Epargyreus clarus)
3 or 4 gulf fritillaries (
Agraulis vanillae)
a couple of long-tailed skippers (Urbanus proteus)
a bunch of fiery skippers (Hylephila phyleus)
I only saw one buckeye (Junonia coenia)

A very good butterfly day.  I am so glad to be seeing so many different species again. 

• Edited July 28, 2020 9:13 pm  by  MerlinsDad

To: MerlinsDad  (2 of 6) 
 2498.2 in reply to 2498.1 

Very nice variety!  A friend of mine swears by Mexican Tithonia(I've also had good luck, tho they are getting harder to find). For me it's been Liatris ligulastylis(tricky plant, that), Tithonia, of course, Verbena bonariensis, Zinnia(single not double) and annual Candytuft. Garden Phlox for the Tiger swallowtail. 

I find it interesting that different areas/zones/states have different plants that are more enticing.  You gotta take what you read with a grain of salt! 

Reply   Options 

To: PlantLust (PlantLust2)  (3 of 6) 
 2498.3 in reply to 2498.2 

I just looked up the Mexican Tithonia.  They're beautiful.  They would certainly look good as a mix with the zinnias.  The blazing star grows wild in the easement -- not a lot of them, but enough to attract butterflies.  The fiery skippers especially seem to like them.  I've had verbena most years, but I've not been able to attend to them.  Maybe again next year.  It's an early bloomer here.

The goldenrod is a few weeks away from blooming; of course it grows wild in the easement and attacts a wide variety of critters.

The tiger swallowtails also like buddleia (Buddleia davidii).  That's part of the disappointment this year.  I'm not seeing the usual numbers of tiger swallowtails -- which are reputed to be the most common butterfly in the south.

I also find purslane attracts a lot of fiery skippers and bees.  I don't have any this year, as I try to get the gardens back under control. 

The swamp sunflowers are also about to open.

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-5 9:11 AM 
To: MerlinsDad  (4 of 6) 
 2498.4 in reply to 2498.1 

This article and forum have been featured in today's Delphi Daily Forum ~ Join In!

https://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=3414.1

To: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 2498.5 in reply to 2498.4 

Thank you, Lyndy.

Merlin's Dad

From: Lyndy (Lyndy7) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-6 8:39 AM 
To: MerlinsDad  (6 of 6) 
 2498.6 in reply to 2498.5 

you are welcome!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.