New England Riders

Hosted by Easy Ed (epconde)

The NER is a group of motorcyclists that self organize in this forum and a Facebook Group to ride and have fun with other riders. We are an inclusive group - all motorcycle brands are welcome. It is not a club – no dues, membership, or officers.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racing Trivia   General Topics

Started by oldstonejim; 524924 views.
ERIC5061

11/27/04

I know this one.

Elmer Trett was the first motorcycle racer to pass 200 mph after being clocked at 201.43 at the NHRA U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis in 1983 on a Kawasaki.

- Eric

Eric,

oops, I fixed the question.....in the 500GP's.  I miss Elmer, he was an ambassador to the motorcycle drag racing world, plus one crafty fellow.  I bet he would probably still be racing today if he didn't die in '96.

ERIC5061

11/28/04

".....in the 500GP's. "

Ah-Ha! I don't know that one.

- Eric

oldstonejim

11/28/04

Tim, I'll take a educated guess here, It must be a honda, the way they where tearing it up in the mid to late 90's it must be them.

For some reason I remember Criville always being a little faster and crazier then the rest, and the only track that should have been the first would be Hockenhieim ring.

So criville,honda,hockenhiemRing, year, well late 90's :)

Here's another easy one for you, my list is getting shorter gotta start reading old mags again ;)

Last rider to win a ama championship on a 500cc 2stroke and where is he now?

Jim,

You got the track right, it was '93, Sinichi Ito on the new Rothsman NSR 500 FI....that's right FI, with the water injection.

The last year they had the Formula One (2-stroke) series in the AMA was 1986 and it was won by Randy Renfrow.  Not to be cruel, but he's pushing up daisies now.  He died due to a broken leg he suffered from a Daytona crash on a 250 gp bike in '03.....well he died at his house going up the stairs from the cellar lost his balance on his crutches and died due to a head injury when he hit the cement floor early summer '03

oldstonejim

11/29/04

Defense rests, Tim you are the man

Jim,

Your just asking me questions I know the answer to, trust me I don't know that much.....ask the right ones & you will able to stump me.

Thanks for the compliment though!

Jim,

During the Eurolantic Challenge of 1988 why was HRC mad at Honda America?

The Eurolantic Challenge was a multi-race format to pit American, English, & Euopean teams to see who was the best.

oldstonejim

11/30/04

Tim, Ive never heard of Eurolantic Challange, but I'll guess that honda america didnt want to send bubba over to race out side of the AMA?

Im resisting looking for questions in old books and mags that I have to stump you, up to now ive pulling them out of the old memory bank, but its getting thin. I got a few more I will post in the next few days. 

I thought I may have tricked you by the " where is he now " with Randy R. BTW I thought randy was awesome, and was sad to read that news when it happened.

Jim,

Yes it was sad new about Randy, but I would have forgot if it wasn't for his baseball card sitting in front of me at the time you asked....LOL.

I still admire Renfrow after a testing accident getting ready for the '91 season and lost his thumb.  The average person would have retired, he told the doc to graft his big toe onto his hand, and Renfrow was still an awesome racer, he had a foot up on the competition....LOL!

Well, it didn't really deal with Bubba, but what he was riding....the old '86 VFR750 superbike.  They brought that over for the Challenge to compete against the new RC30......Bubba on the VFR & Polen on the Yosh GSXR750 won every race.  HRC didn't want the old bike showing up the new bike, which it did....that's why they were pissed.