Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hate crimes are up under Trump   News

Started Aug-26 by DigYourGig; 1070 views.
ramseylurker

Nov-24

Hector442 said...

Your presumptuousness and condescension are hard to take.

"Non-standard abbreviation? This is not true, hector."

Prior to your invoking the term "I word," I'd never encountered it except in reference to impeachment.

Moving on, you don't have to lecture me about racially charged words.  The energy you waste condescending to people probably more familiar with the subject than you are could be better used for other endeavors.

"Please don't minimize the power of these racist epithets. That was less than 5 years ago, and look where we are today."

The epithet "illegal immigrants" was used years before Mitt Romney uttered it.  There's no cause and effect connection between Mitt Romney uttering it and Trump maniacally exploiting it.  Do you know the difference between causation and correlation?

"Here's an anti-racist ad from 2010, attempting to stop a future Trump from coming to power."

So you do acknowledge that the epithet "illegal immigrant" was in use long before Mitt Romney used it.  Thus, you've contracted yourself.

"since it is not a part of your culture."

You have no clue what my culture is.  Your presumptuousness and condescension are unbearable.

"You also need to look at it from the point of view of the folks being beaten up and murdered while having the N-Word or the I-Word shouted at them."

So you're equating my not knowing what you meant by the I word with people being beaten up by neo-Nazis?  Here's another I word for you to consider:  ignorance.

Hector, this is difficult. You seem so fragile. So defensive.

I've tried sharing just a little bit about our lives with you, but that seems to have upset you. I wasn't trying to upset you, hector.

But how can we learn from each other without telling each other the stories of our lives.

Since hearing about our lives seems to make you feel attacked and victimized, let's try another approach. 

You said that I don't know your culture. This is true hector.

Please tell me about your culture. Tell me about your hopes, your dreams, and your fears.

Please help me gain some wisdom from your life, hector.

I don't even know how old you are. How long you've walk upon this earth, hector.

Hector442

Nov-24

Having waited more than 2 months to respond to my post, I consider this particular conversation over.

Now you've learned something additional about me.  I don't like conversing with people who don't reply for over 2 months.

ramseylurker

Nov-24

Hector442 said...

Having waited more than 2 months to respond to my post, I consider this particular conversation over.

Now you've learned something additional about me.  I don't like conversing with people who don't reply for over 2 months.

I don't understand your anger nor your fragility, hector.

Is it a cultural thing?

Don't be scared, hector. We're going to get through this, together.

Folks from different cultures aren't your enemy.

If you see aspects of white culture critiqued, particularly those aspects relating to white supremacy, it's not a personal insult towards all white folks, hector. It's just folks trying to make you understand how this all effects their lives. 

You shouldn't take such critiques, personally, hector. 

Hector442

Nov-24

"I don't understand your anger nor your fragility, hector."

No fragility and just a tiny bit of anger.

Instead of assuming anger and fragility, why don't you take responsibility for your behavior?  Why don't you consider that answering a post after 2 months is disrespectful, a waste of time and a stupid way to approach forum conversations?

If there's anything you really want to discuss, start a new thread.  But if you still require more than 2 months to respond to a post, maybe you shouldn't bother.  Also, don't bother if you're going to make paranoid assumptions about my culture.

• Edited November 24, 2017 10:59 pm  by  Hector442
ramseylurker

Nov-24

Hector, why are you doing this?

Are you OK?

Is something wrong?

I'm concerned about you. You're getting upset over trivial stuff, which doesn't make any sense in the context of this thread. Something must be really eating you up, to make you hijack such a serious thread about a topic that effects our lives to this extent, as we have been discussing. 

What's going on here?

I'm not stupid, hector. This isn't about your disappointment with my work schedule. It goes deeper than that. 

The topic of this thread is indeed disturbing, I'll grant you that, hector. I can understand your desire to look away. It's a perfectly human reaction to what we have been discussing, hector. It's scary stuff.

Hector442

Nov-24

I've told you before but I'll tell you again.  Your patronizing, presumptuous and condescending lecturing is repulsive.

You derailed the thread by making all sorts of unwarranted assumptions about me, then, after 2 months, tried to persist in your stupidity.

Just because I didn't agree with the significance you placed on one of Mitt Romney's utterances, you stupidity decided I was a privileged white racist who was afraid to discuss racism.  If that wasn't stupid, I don't know what is.

You wrote, "I'm concerned about you."  Wow.  In addition to everything else, you resort to lying.  You think I'm a privileged white racist.  Therefore, there's no way you could be concerned about me except in the most sarcastic & condescending sense.

All this banter because I didn't agree with what you attributed to Mitt Romney.  I think any impartial jury of your choice would recommend this conversation be terminated.

ramseylurker

Nov-24

Hector442 said...

You think I'm a privileged white racist.

Oh good grief!

Where is this defensiveness coming from, hector?

And I don't mean just you. Lots of folks are getting defensive like this these days.

What's causing it, hector? Where is it coming from?

Hector442

Nov-25

I'll reply in 2 months.

ramseylurker

Nov-25

Hector442 said...

I'll reply in 2 months.

What's going on, hector?

Are you just upset that I haven't given you a safety pin, yet?

Is that what this is all about?

In reply toRe: msg 22
ramseylurker

Nov-26

Should Teachers Be Able to Wear Safety Pins as a Message of Solidarity in Class?

After the election of Donald Trump, people across the country donned safety pins as a show of support for people of color, immigrants, members of the LGBT community, and other marginalized groups. The pins, which are meant to signify a link, are a response to the spike in bullying and attacks on people from those groups since the election. 

Some teachers, concerned about the vulnerability of some of their students in this post-election time, are wearing safety pins in the classroom. But some administrators have found the message to be politically charged and thus, unacceptable in their schools.

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teaching_now/2016/11/safety_pins_as_a_message_of_solidarity_in_class.html

• Edited November 26, 2017 11:27 am  by  DigYourGig