Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Former Franken female staffers speak out: ‘He treated us with the utmost respect   Politics

Started Nov-18 by DigYourGig; 63 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Nov-18

Some former female staffers of Sen. Al Franken spoke out on Friday in his defense, saying that he had treated women with respect while they worked in his office.

The statement is co-signed by eight former Franken staffers who have worked for him since he was elected to the Senate in 2008. It reads, “Many of us spent years working for Senator Franken in Minnesota and Washington. In our time working for the Senator, he treated us with the utmost respect. He valued our work and our opinions and was a champion for women both in the legislation he supported and in promoting women to leadership roles in our offices.”

Below are pictures of Leeann Tweeden, who has accused Franken of misconduct, and has since accepted Franken's apology. Before becoming a radio news anchor, she was a model and has posed for nude layouts in Playboy and other men's magazines. This doesn't excuse Franken's improper behavior toward her, but it should be noted. Tweeden is also a Trump supporter.

Image result for leeann tweeden

Image result for leeann tweeden

In reply toRe: msg 1
DigYourGig
Host

Nov-18

Kate Harding: "I’m a feminist. I study rape culture. And I don’t want Al Franken to resign."

As a feminist and the author of a book on rape culture, I could reasonably be expected to lead the calls for Al Franken to step down, following allegations that he forced his tongue down a woman’s throat, accompanied by a photo of him grinning as he moves in to grope her breasts while she sleeps. It’s disgusting. He treated a sleeping woman as a comedy prop, no more human than the contents of Carrot Top’s trunk, and I firmly believe he should suffer social and professional consequences for it.

But I don’t believe resigning from his position is the only possible consequence, or the one that’s best for American women.