Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The evidence that Jesus actually existed is pretty weak   Religion

Started Nov-26 by DigYourGig; 792 views.

We don't have eyewitness accounts of many things. We have writings, drawings, and other items purporting to them and yet you still accept them as fact. How is that any different?

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-1

Because, unlike the Jesus myth, they're not ripped off wholesale from earlier myths, in many cases, point by point.

Also, a story of a leader who won a battle or drew up a law is quite different from a story about walking on water or raising up dead zombies out of their tombs.

• Edited December 1, 2017 3:44 pm  by  DigYourGig

DigYourGig said...

a story of a leader who won a battle or drew up a law is quite different from a story about walking on water or raising up dead zombies out of their tombs.

It's still a story. It all comes down to whether you believe it or not. I choose to believe, you don't. One of us is right and one is wrong. We'll find out one day which one of us is correct.

Of course, I have historical records and professional scholars on my side. What do you have? The writings of avowed atheists and those whose works have been discredited. Your arguments contain too many discrepancies to be of any logical value. 

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-1

Are your mental faculties of such a nature that if one person told you, "I have a car in my garage," and another told you, "I have an invisible, fire-breathing dragon in my garage," you would find both stories equally believable?

No wonder people voted for Trump.

Pelican Chuck (swamprat007) said:

We'll find out one day which one of us is correct.

Or we won't because we'll both be dead and no one knows anything after they die.

And can you explain why you don't believe the miraculous stores about other religious figures? Mohammed? Shiva? Apollo? Zeus? Why don't you believe those stories, hm?

• Edited December 1, 2017 6:29 pm  by  DigYourGig
Hector442

Dec-1

If you asked Swamp Rat why the chicken crossed the street, he'd probably answer, "What's a chicken?  What's a street?"

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-3

I disagree slightly. I see no reason to doubt that there really was a rabbi named Jesus that died trying in a failed attempt to be king of the Jews and a symbol of rebellion against Rome. That certainly does not support the Christ story the Greeks made up. The main rebellion against Rome didn't come until a generation later (40 years r so), so Jesus had little influence on the rebellion. Jesus died for nothing.

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-3

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said:

I see no reason to doubt

Because of the severe lack of evidence (and what stories there are are copies of other stories about other mythical figures) I see no reason to believe that such a person actually existed.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-4

Both our opinions depend on a lack of evidence. relaxed

Your argument is not worthless. I just think this is a lot of bs if there never was a  Jesus at all. Hear-say evidence is slightly better than speculation alone.

DigYourGig
Host

Dec-4

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said:

Both our opinions depend on a lack of evidence.

But that doesn't make them equally believable, however.

One guy says, "I have a car in my garage," another says, "I have an invisible dragon in my garage." I don't have to look to judge that one man's claim is more likely to be true than the other. Yes, the former might be lying, but the latter definitely is.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Dec-4

DigYourGig said:

Both our opinions depend on a lack of evidence. But that doesn't make them equally believable, however.

The excellent point, yes. It is more probable some rabbi named Jesus was what the story was based on than it was completely imaginary.

Disproving the story does not disprove the person. Some might discredit stories about you but that does not logically conclude you do not exist. The better conclusion is that we just don't know the true story of Jesus.