MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gun control bill introduced that almost all Americans want   Politics

Started Jan-8 by DigYourGig; 335 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Jan-8

Despite the fact that it has the almost overwhelming support of the American people, Republicans, afraid of the gun lobby, won't allow it to pass.

House Democrats unveil bill expanding gun background checks

WASHINGTON — House Democrats on Tuesday introduced a measure that would expand background checks for sales and transfers of firearms, their first move since taking the majority to tighten the nation's gun laws.

“Today is a day of action. We say, ‘enough is enough,’” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., at an event highlighting the new bill on the eighth anniversary of the mass shooting in Tucson that left six people dead and more than a dozen injured, including former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-democrats-unveil-bill-expanding-gun-background-checks-n956406

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jan-8

That's a good start, a small move toward greater gun safety. I noticed the NRA had their same old garbage, that criminals don't obey laws. Well, duh, they don't obey laws against muggings, murder, burglary, etc. The NRA and gun nuts are stupid to keep floating that debunked meme. I hope this measure passes, and the Senate bill passes also.

Funny how when a few meth manufacturers bought up large quantities of Sudafed, the government made it much harder for law-abiding citizens to buy that drug for their cold symptoms. Funny how when one idiot tried to light his shoes, the government made all law-abiding travelers remove their shoes for security. But no, we can't make it a wee bit harder to buy a deadly weapon.

In reply toRe: msg 2
6686L

Jan-9

I agree with RUTA - absurd that the right is concerned about universal back-ground checks.     First comparison comes to mind is the requirement, in most jurisdictions, that transfers of motor vehicles be reported to the state entity handling registrations.

Yes,  universal firearms registration and FEDERAL back-ground checks....that isn't much, but isn't that a start in the right direction?       I would like to see state mental health and records of violence developed to a more universal standard - too many wife-beaters become wife-shooters ! 

As I have noted elsewhere,   here in Arizona you do not get a "concealed weapon" permit without both state-approved TRAINING by a licensed and certified entity, coupled with a SIX WEEK WAIT while they do a "background" check, before the license is actually issued.  

Wouldn't it be great if we had swift and severe punishment for anyone who has a firearm who hasn't been thoroughly "vetted"...?

In reply toRe: msg 3
Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jan-9

6686L said:

As I have noted elsewhere, here in Arizona you do not get a "concealed weapon" permit without both state-approved TRAINING by a licensed and certified entity, coupled with a SIX WEEK WAIT while they do a "background" check, before the license is actually issued.

Proof, please. Link to the relevant regulations and/or law. As I have noted elsewhere, Arizona has some the most lax laws for concealed carry license, and is one of the states where it's very easy to obtain that and buy firearms. I also provided you a link at that time. Please return the favor for your claim now.

6686L

Jan-10

If memory serves, you, as well as a couple of others in here, have made it clear in past posts they believe everything I post are lies sponsored by the NRA, KKK, and the Nazis.

If that is the case,  I would be wasting your time and mine to do research for you.

If someone in here has some legit interest in Arizona firearms law (and the patience to do research),   there is a Encyclopedia like device on the Internet  called "Google" where you can find out the details.

You are in error in your belief that "Arizona has some of the most lax laws for concealed carry license".   You are apparently unaware of what is required,  both in teaching about the laws regarding firearms, AND instruction regarding the technical aspects of operating firearms,   before a Dept. Of Public Safety licensed school must certify to, before it can certify an applicant.

As a side-note,  I was horrified when, several years ago, the Arizona legislature did away with the requirement of having a license to carry a firearm concealed in public.  As a strong believer in tough gun control,  I found that just plain terrifying - the idea that untrained people who have not been thoroughly "vetted" are running around with guns.  I am frankly astonished that my contacts in law enforcement tell me they have seen no measurable rise in firearms abuse since that time.  With this qualification - there are places in the areas around Tucson and Phoenix where there is a horrific crime rate involving firearms abuse.  I "get it"...it would be "politically incorrect" to discuss further why that is so.

In reply toRe: msg 5
DigYourGig
Host

Jan-10

You don't even post your own sources. That's YOUR homework, not ours. (What is it about right-wingers, they want everyone else to do their work for them?)

The rest of us, when we make a claim, we post a link to show where we got that bit of information.

You NEVER do that. It's almost like you're just talking out of your ass and making stuff up, you know, like you're only here to play games.

Wait a minute -- you admitted that's the ONLY reason you come to my forum. Just to play games. You're not here for real discussion.

That's why no one will play your games, and no one takes you seriously. 

• Edited January 10, 2019 3:02 am  by  DigYourGig
Mort15

Jan-10

Explain how both of your statements can be true at the same time.

6686L said...

You are apparently unaware of what is required,  both in teaching about the laws regarding firearms, AND instruction regarding the technical aspects of operating firearms,   before a Dept. Of Public Safety licensed school must certify to, before it can certify an applicant.

6686L said...

was horrified when, several years ago, the Arizona legislature did away with the requirement of having a license to carry a firearm concealed in public.  As a strong believer in tough gun control,  I found that just plain terrifying - the idea that untrained people who have not been thoroughly "vetted" are running around with guns.

I am guessing you got confused by the Delphi police who are stalking you when you typed such conflicting statements in the same post. Have you looked into a good memory care facility in your area?

• Edited January 10, 2019 5:00 am  by  Mort15
Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jan-10

In your message 2 you posted:

6686L said:

As I have noted elsewhere, here in Arizona you do not get a "concealed weapon" permit without both state-approved TRAINING by a licensed and certified entity, coupled with a SIX WEEK WAIT while they do a "background" check, before the license is actually issued.

In your message 4 you post:

6686L said:

As a side-note, I was horrified when, several years ago, the Arizona legislature did away with the requirement of having a license to carry a firearm concealed in public.

So which is it, liar? Training and 6-week waiting period for concealed carry license or no license needed? You can't have both. You lied earlier or you're lying now.

And as I already proved to you in another thread, you lied about the license, training and waiting period. So it seems rather stupid of you to repeat your already debunked claim.

As for your temper tantrum, child, it's the duty of the person who makes a claim to provide proof. Grow up.

6686L

Jan-10

"so which is it, liar?  Training and a 6 week waiting period for concealed carry license,  or no license needed. You cant have both.  You lied earlier or your lying now."

Is it a language problem ?   Foreigners working thru translators who are not all that competent in relying American English ?    Or are these people local English-speaking fanatics,  so twisted by their fanaticism, they simply cant process information that clashes with their belief systems ?   

For those who wonder if there is ANY truth to this pathetic creature's blabbering - please review my above post where I explained that here in Arizona you no longer need any state controls- any individual can just go out and buy a firearm and walk around in public with the weapon concealed on their person.

I explained further in my above post,  if you want a state license,  there are proceedures for that.

My opinion on all this is set forth in my above post.  This sick, presumptious little fanatic has decided how she or he or it wants things to be.    Back here in the real world,  she is wrong to the point of being delusional.   Her firery fanaticism tells us much about her, but little about the issue.

In reply toRe: msg 9
DigYourGig
Host

Jan-10

You get so angry and lash out at others like an aggrieved child when caught in yet another outright lie and contradiction.

It's almost like you're not really here to discuss anything. You're only here to play games.

Wait a minute... That's precisely what you finally admitted to me.